Old Nashville Treasures

Baronakim

15 minutes ago, chris holman said:

Maxwell House 

SmartSelect_20191111-153758_Pinterest.jpg

Wow!  I love this!  I guess you're S.O.L. if you want Kentucky Opossum (note the proper spelling befitting a classy joint)... or a Tennessee 'coon (what's that all about?).  And does anyone know what Black Bear tastes like? Any different from Grizzly? Or Kodiak?  And w.t.f. is "Poivrede"?  Because it's French? And how much is a "Saddle"? I'm a self-styled gourmet, and I absolutely love looking at old menus. They truly are a window into a different time. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow!  I love this!  I guess you're S.O.L. if you want Kentucky Opossum (note the proper spelling befitting a classy joint)... or a Tennessee 'coon (what's that all about?).  And does anyone know what Black Bear tastes like? Any different from Grizzly? Or Kodiak?  And w.t.f. is "Poivrede"?  Because it's French? And how much is a "Saddle"? I'm a self-styled gourmet, and I absolutely love looking at old menus. They truly are a window into a different time. 

Wow!  That's an exotic menu (for these times).  I ate some wild meat up in the Canadian Rockies (if I remember correctly...bear, moose, caribou (maybe), etc).  Can't imagine eating possum. 

56 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

A saddle is a double loin, rolled and tied and wrapped in fat, then cooked like a roast.  Size varies with the animal species and age.   I don't know the point of origin, but you might try this possum.  Bear is greasy and not my favorite, roast coon is much better, like pork.  Both of them you have to trim off every trace of fat as it is nasty tasting.  You lard them with bacon.   Fried snake and squirrel is mighty fine too.   A polvrede is a dish with a peppery sauce.

1939929_746054865412618_2135615496_n.jpg

Edited by Baronakim
spelling and grammar corrections
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

A saddle is a double loin, rolled and tied and wrapped in fat, then cooked like a roast.  Size varies with the animal species and age.   I don't know the point of origin, but you might try this possum.  Bear is greasy and not my favorite, roast coon is much better, like pork.  Both of them you have to trim off every trace of fat as it is nasty tasting.  You lard them with bacon.   Fried snake and squirrel is mighty fine too.   A polvrede is a dish with a peppery sauce.

Just to clarify, it's poivrade ("pwah-vrahd").  It's a red wine sauce with herbs and a whole lot of freshly ground black peppercorn.  It's wonderful on steak.  I can't imagine what it would be like on bear.  Anyway, that is an impressive menu for a Christmas dinner.  I wish someone with a lot of money could rebuild the old Maxwell House Hotel in downtown.  I guess it was similar to the Hermitage Hotel in opulence?  

14 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

I took an out-of-town guest to Woolworth's on Fifth for lunch a few weeks ago, and we cut through The Arcade to get back to our parking garage. He had a lot of comments about how cool The Arcade was and how it's such an interesting feature for a downtown area.

I (unfortunately) often forget that we have it in our own city, but I have a hunch that it's often overlooked because of the way it blends into the streetscape, which is a shame.

In the middle of the day it's pretty jam packed so, luckily, it's not too hidden. I hope it stays the way it is rather than becoming honky tonk bedonkidonked.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

FB_IMG_1540909592707.jpg

Funny that this picture is shown. Fred Cobb, a police officer, went to see this show and afterwards he had it shut down for profanity. It made national news, but was reopened soon after. Cobb was a friend of my Dad's (everyone went to East High back in the day).

I went to most of the Movie theaters downtown, but my favorite memory was eating chili at Varallo's and going to the Crescent to watch 'The Time Machine"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

NASHVILLE'S VANISHED  DOWNTOWN THEATRES

tntheat.jpg

larger.png

large (1).jpg

tntheatre.jpg

download.jpg

Tennessee Theatre

tn+theater+from+east+copy.jpg

Thanks for the excellent summary, @Baronakim      Nashville has lost so many significant buildings over the years, many to fires, some to neglect and many to new development.    I still think one of the most senseless losses was the art deco style Sudekum building and Tennessee theater.    I was newly arrived and working in Nashville when it came down and I remember watching its sad fate.   To this day, I imagine what this part of downtown would feel like if it were still standing there today, restored and converted to apartments or mixed use, with its shiny vertical "fins" and unique rooftop ornamentation.     All the more painful given what replaced it (I chuckled at your "Soviet style" dig).     

This was a “hardtop” theatre designed by famed theatre architect John Eberson in an Art Deco style. It is mentioned in passing in Ben Hall’s book “The Best Remaining Seats”. The Paramount Theatre opened on November 14, 1930. My mother remembers the organ was still in use during World War II when she was going to the movies. By 1950 the Paramount Theatre was operated by Crescent Amusement Co. It was still open in 1957.

Nashville had several big movie palaces downtown, three on Church Street. All have been razed. The site of the Paramount Theatre became a parking lot. In 2019 a courthouse was being constructed on the site.

large.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those are such amazing images of a classic time for Nashville. When theater chains build modern downtown/urban theaters, has there been any instance in which they've incorporated some of the old-style decor or architecture as an homage to classic downtown theaters? Just wondering if there's a chance that the new movie theater being built as part of Nashville Yards might take that approach.

• Like 2

If I had a billion dollars I would buy that property where The Tennessee Theater/Sudekum building stood and rebuild both exactly to spec.

And then I would buy the Maxwell House and move it back to 4th and Church in a classic art deco building with a Maxwell House Cafe.

And then I would rebuild the warehouses between 2nd and Church and Bank Street that burned down in the 80's and put the Gerst Haus in one of them.

And then I would reopen the Voodoo Room, The Carousel Club and the Peppermint Lounge in Printers Alley.

And then, and then.......OK, you get the picture.

Now, who's with me?

Edited by bnacincy
content
  • Like 2

Gonna throw this one out there b/c I NEVER see/hear anything about this one. I dated a girl whose parents lived here in the late 1980s and I remember thinking how unique it was (and Wessex Towers). But I've always liked the irregular windows on its facade. And it's all brick. I recall walking into the lobby and thinking how cool the brick was.  Anyway, I 'give' you.... Rokeby (which BTW was the name of the plantation where Adelicia Acklen lived in the mid-1850s. 

Rokeby Condominiums 

Designed by Barber McMurry....https://bma1915.com/ 

The 12-story Rokeby Condominiums tower opened to acclaim when it was completed in 1976, and today is still considered one of its most prestigious residential developments. 

The building has been selected as one of the city’s most notable landmarks.

BarberMcMurry's flexible design allowed the developer to market the widest possible range of condominium unit sizes. Amenities include fireplaces, swimming pool, sundecks, tea room, secured garage parking, and extensive landscaping. The Rokeby provides its residents and visitors a functional and attractive facility which provides the convenience of more expensive condominiums.

Image result for Rokeby nashville, tn

Image result for Rokeby nashville, tn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1