BEER 2.0

Pattmost20

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Not necessarily beer but "craft beverages." 

I haven't even been to half of these places yet. :)

https://www.10best.com/interests/drinks/why-grand-rapids-craft-beverage-capital-united-states/

If you like Sours Speciation is a must. They'll be moving to Wealthy street soon. 

4 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

If you like Sours Speciation is a must. They'll be moving to Wealthy street soon. 

Their wine is excellent too.

Edit: Also they went in front of the planning commission yesterday and got approval. Many letters of support from the neighborhood and neighboring businesses.

Edited by Pattmost20
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just received:

To our Grand Rapids Mug Club Members: we’re closing our taprooms until April 5 in light of COVID-19. We are a large gathering place and, with the new restrictions of 250 people, have made this decision with our employees' and community's health in mind. We’ll pay our employees while we’re closed, which will start Friday, March 13 at 5pm. Brewing operations will continue while we’re closed to the public and we thank all of our hardworking staff. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope to see you for a beer once this has passed.

-Your friends at Founders Brewing Co.

Ok now that really hits home!

2 hours ago, arcturus said:

Just received:

To our Grand Rapids Mug Club Members: we’re closing our taprooms until April 5 in light of COVID-19. We are a large gathering place and, with the new restrictions of 250 people, have made this decision with our employees' and community's health in mind. We’ll pay our employees while we’re closed, which will start Friday, March 13 at 5pm. Brewing operations will continue while we’re closed to the public and we thank all of our hardworking staff. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope to see you for a beer once this has passed.

-Your friends at Founders Brewing Co.

Ok now that really hits home!

Wise move. This is no joke. Glad to hear they're paying their employees during the closure.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Craft breweries look to uncertain future

I'd consider (from an outsiders' perspective) to be solidly run breweries. I imagine there are others in the that aren't that wont make it.  I imagine the rest of the industry as well is hoping to get through the next month or so where they can reopen with some partial capacity and improved weather conditions towards spring. 

6 hours ago, egrguy said:

Craft breweries look to uncertain future

I'd consider (from an outsiders' perspective) to be solidly run breweries. I imagine there are others in the that aren't that wont make it.  I imagine the rest of the industry as well is hoping to get through the next month or so where they can reopen with some partial capacity and improved weather conditions towards spring. 

Sounds harsh but it's a "controlled burn" of the industry, like they do with meadows and forest to prevent forest fires. The ones that make it will thrive like they've never seen before. The rest... sorry. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sounds harsh but it's a "controlled burn" of the industry, like they do with meadows and forest to prevent forest fires. The ones that make it will thrive like they've never seen before. The rest... sorry. 

I've been saying this about the market saturation for years but the pandemic has really accelerated this. 

I'll say Greyline has really made their outdoor space cool (literally, brr) but comfortable. Anyone other places you folks are digging their outside spaces?

7 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I've been saying this about the market saturation for years but the pandemic has really accelerated this. 

I'll say Greyline has really made their outdoor space cool (literally, brr) but comfortable. Anyone other places you folks are digging their outside spaces?

Third Nature up in Rockford has a pretty cool set up. They don't open until 4:00 though, which is weird. 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, arcturus said:

Side effect:  you'll be able to get away making so-so beers as long as there's an outside area to drink.  Those without an outside will really be under the gun to step up their game.

Perhaps it’s survival of the fittest with two main contributing factors; quality of product and quality of outdoor beer garden. Let’s hope the quality product guys stick around and everyone elevates their beer garden game

Edited by GR8scott

• 3 months later...

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/saugatuck-brewing-buys-gr-based-creston-brewing/

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Creston Brewery in Grand Rapids has new ownership.

Saugatuck Brewing Company announced Thursday that it bought the brewery on Plainfield Avenue NE at Quimby Street in Grand Rapids’ Creston neighborhood.

It said Creston would keep its name and keep serving fan favorites, as well as add Saugatuck brews to the taps.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GreatLakesPrintShop said:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/saugatuck-brewing-buys-gr-based-creston-brewing/

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Creston Brewery in Grand Rapids has new ownership.

Saugatuck Brewing Company announced Thursday that it bought the brewery on Plainfield Avenue NE at Quimby Street in Grand Rapids’ Creston neighborhood.

It said Creston would keep its name and keep serving fan favorites, as well as add Saugatuck brews to the taps.

Finally confirmed! This has been a long time coming. 

3 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Nice. How is Saugatuck Brewing? Decent beer? Creston Brewery has a great location, the building is beautiful, but I always thought everything (atmosphere, food, beer) was so-so. I hope Saugatuck can go in and make changes/improvements and make it work.

Joe

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Nice. How is Saugatuck Brewing? Decent beer? Creston Brewery has a great location, the building is beautiful, but I always thought everything (atmosphere, food, beer) was so-so. I hope Saugatuck can go in and make changes/improvements and make it work.

Joe

Their beer is OK, much like Creston's beer was OK. It's a good fit for this location, which I think the building itself is the draw in itself. 

19 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Agreed. Been hearing this rumor ever since they closed. Creston wasn't the best, but it served it's role as a casual neighborhood place, so I'll be glad to see it reopen. Especially with the other developments happening in Creston

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

I feel like Saugatuck's beer is more approachable to a wider audience. Creston had some esoteric flavor profiles that turned off a lot of people and some of their standard beers were just so-so. Saugatuck has been in business a lot longer and should be able to bring more people into the Creston location. Overall I think it's a good fit for the neighborhood. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

5 Lakes Brewing in Dorr is moving to Tanger Outlets.  Seems like a great move for them for foot traffic and exposure.  Article also mentions a creation of an outdoor entertainment area at Tanger.  Anyone have a report on their beer?

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/tanger-outlets-announces-entertainment-district-addition-of-5-lakes-brew-pub/69-69488562-d97c-433e-8a0f-4846f71e7647

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GreatLakesPrintShop said:

5 Lakes Brewing in Dorr is moving to Tanger Outlets.  Seems like a great move for them for foot traffic and exposure.  Article also mentions a creation of an outdoor entertainment area at Tanger.  Anyone have a report on their beer?

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/tanger-outlets-announces-entertainment-district-addition-of-5-lakes-brew-pub/69-69488562-d97c-433e-8a0f-4846f71e7647

That's probably a smart move. I was at a Tanger-esque outlet in California and they had quite a few bars and restaurants. It definitely felt more "complete" with some sit down restaurants and patio seating.

Joe

On 6/24/2021 at 5:18 PM, joeDowntown said:

That's probably a smart move. I was at a Tanger-esque outlet in California and they had quite a few bars and restaurants. It definitely felt more "complete" with some sit down restaurants and patio seating.

Joe

It's going to be part of a bigger "entertainment" area at the outlet mall, with other restaurants and outdoor recreation. I agree it seems weird that there's not one place to get a drink at the Tanger Outlets. WTF.

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

I could see Tanger wanting to do something like the Domain in Austin Tx.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g30196-d1487717-Reviews-The_Domain-Austin_Texas.html

If they could please pull in TopGolf, that'd be great!!!! I can't fricken believe we don't have one.

I see what your saying but Domain in Austin is totally different concept than Tanger outlet centers. Domain has heavy restaurant and bar mix with small but medium/high end retail. But perhaps Tanger is trying out something like than on a "cheaper" end of the scale and yes GR is prime for a Topgolf its a golf market and they're expanding rapidly to similar size markets, they need a fair amount of space and like to be near retail and highways so that would be a great location for one

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...