Olympia Mills Website

emerging.me

Hey guys! Just found out that the Olympia and Granby Mills apartment website is online. Pretty cool...

http://www.olympiamills.com/

Supposedly, the little shopping village that was talked about last year -- to be located in that old parking lot between the mills and that grove of trees along Whaley St. -- will move forward whenever the mills begin to lease out. Good stuff.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! Thanks for posting this. That is a nice site. I wish I were living in Columbia again :) The shopping village sounds nice. I didn't realize that was planned, but that parking lot is a great palce for it.

That strange thing connecting the two mills has been bugging me for some time:

cola_olympia-granby.jpg

Ha! I'm sure it's some kind of conveyor belt thing... but I wonder what the original use was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we should have fun with trying to guess what the think was. I'll start: It was a railroad trestle for "O" gauge model trains that the kids of the millworkers used to stay occupied after school. Next?

My thought was that it was some sort of A) suppurt structure or B) construction for a new connecting building. My own logic rules out B, because I have never seen anything like it before, and buildings are generally constructed that way.

• 3 weeks later...

My thought was that it was some sort of A) suppurt structure or B) construction for a new connecting building. My own logic rules out B, because I have never seen anything like it before, and buildings are generally constructed that way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like something that has been there since these buildings were used at mills. Probably either ferried goods from one building to another on a set of rails if it intersects the buildings at a doorway; otherwise, it's probably plumbing and/or electrical in function.

I know; I'm no fun.

Okay, it probably ferried barbeque sammiches, Moon Pies, and Pepsi from the kitchen in one building to the hungry workers in the other building.

:silly:

Okay, it probably ferried barbeque sammiches, Moon Pies, and Pepsi from the kitchen in one building to the hungry workers in the other building.

:silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude... now I'm starved! :) By the way, welcome to UP Columbia! I also think it's some kind of conveyor belt system. My g-pa worked in a saw mill and they had the same kinda thing.

Ha! nice....

By the way all, I recently contacted the leasing office for the mills and got some info. You'll have to check out the floorplans on the website to compare the units, but here's some of what I learned. This is mainly for anyone who might come across this thread later while searching for info...

Opening of the 3rd and 4th floors on July 1, 2005. Two - four bedroom apartment homes range from 1100-3000 square feet. The two bedrooms range in price from $1000 - $1400 and the four bedrooms from $1500 - $1800.

Units #1, #11, #14 and #32 are $1,800/month, Units #15, #16, #33 and #34

are $1,600 and Unit #17 is $1,550. These are all top (fourth) floor

apartments and will be the first ones available for rent.

Random notes: Renters will pay an electric bill than runs almost everthing

in the unit, including central air. They use a water source heat pump which

is a highly efficient unit. Water and sewer are covered, of course. No laundry hook-ups in the units, but two laundry facilities on each floor.

If I'm paying $1800 a month for an apartment I want to be able to do my laundry without having to leave my apartment! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I'm saying. From the looks of things... these are roommate-oriented, which kind of sucks if you ask me -- although I'm sure they will fill up. Maybe the other mill will be more family accessible. I'm tired of the family being denied the urban lifestyle in Columbia.

What's amazing is that the Olympia-Granby Mills used to look like this:

Olympia Mills Pictures

It's amazing to see how they've rebuilt this place from the ashes.

One of the most beautiful features of the mills used to be the hardwood floors that they had on each floor. Unfortunately, over the years, they began to buckle, so I would imagine that they had to rip them out and start over.

Thanks. Yeah, the Olympia Mills is truly amazing. Especially the basement system. Hopefully they will preserve most of the architecture. The view from the rooftops and the clocktowers are amazing.

Welcome to the forum abandonedsc! You have a fantastic site. The music adds alot of effect. Sort of like a horror movie before they know there is anyone trying to kill them :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Yeah, the Olympia Mills is truly amazing. Especially the basement system. Hopefully they will preserve most of the architecture. The view from the rooftops and the clocktowers are amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey man! I've never really done it myself... but I've always thought urban explorers are cool. Welcome to the group! :) Nice site!

Archived