Circle South, 30 story/443'/535,000 sq. ft. office tower; 19 story/239'/261 residential tower; 2.6 acres at Lafayette and 8th Ave. South

markhollin

Definitely it will raise the bar for the One KVB site. Whatever gets built there will need to be taller (at least 45 stories) and more striking than this, or it will just be another bland box. It will be tough to compete against this one to land  a firm that wants a signature tower to put their name on the top. On that note, I think this one needs a crown of some sort... an angled, recessed cap of some type that will enable the anchor tenant's name to appear in contrasting lights. 

• Like 4

So...help me understand how a structure like this works.

I'm assuming a lot of what appears to be floors in the building tilted at an angle are just optical illusions because of the windows, right?  We can see walls leaning one way or another...but the actual floor plates will probably still be similar to most other buildings...other than spaces that are maybe cut off...or open spaces, as well...right?

Just trying to figure out what's under the skin of this thing.

18 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Looking at the first photo of LA_TN’s post above, it appears that the floors taper out on one side, and then the opposite on the other side as the building rises to give it that leaning affect. 

Check out these buildings in Madrid 

4B802A13-D51C-48F6-98F9-C158ABCF89F8.jpeg

Cool, but seems like an inordinate amount (ie, $) of engineering is required to ensure structural stability of that design.      

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

NBJ story here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/04/20/renderings-circle-south-tower-would-be.html

Only new info is project cost is 250 million and there is no timeline and there is .6 acres left for development after this is built.

I wonder who the main tenant will be? This building will look amazing at its position and hopefully be the catalyst for more development there.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, LA_TN said:

Congrats to the Nashville Post! Again!

Does the Tennessean still have an office in Nashville?

Tennessean doesn't even bother to compete in business / real estate news anymore, and they acknowledge it. Not enough clicks I guess (even though I'd argue those who do click it are more valuable).  RIP Getahn Ward.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Can someone please explain why there are height restrictions in that part of SoBro?  To me that area should be unrestricted in terms of height.  If Tony G doesn't build something in the 50+ story range on Church Street, I really don't see Nashville getting a 50+ story building being built anywhere else other than SoBro.

I don't dislike the design of this proposed building.  But, I'm not wowed by it either.  Although if built as designed (which I have my doubts) it'll actually fit nicely into the circle.  Maybe to set it apart from the other glass towers they should... wait for it........ use rose gold glass... :tw_glasses: :tw_mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 2:59 PM, MLBrumby said:

Noticed that too, but for that location that might be an attempt to build a new critical node of pedestrian activity. I wonder how much of that would be dedicated to the residential tower. There's very little around there at present. When development gets started around it, it's likely to come very fast. 

Currently ZONED FOR 16 FLOORS!!! C'mon Nashville, that's absurd! 

My favorite angle for this building. Stix gets lost in the texture of this building. 

Hundreds of cars moving in and out and through nearby streets is not the way to build a critical node of pedestrian activity (furthermore, there's already public parking at the MCC).  The city doesn't require developers to provide parking here so investors need to let go of these outdated and ridiculously overkill requirements. 

Companies located in the city should be providing incentives for employees to carpool, bike, walk and take transit. 

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/movevu/movevu-commute-hub/

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2020/02/03/vanderbilt-launches-app-website-to-encourage-sustainable-commute-options/

Anyway, cool building--minus the parking

• Like 2

I get your point, but if Nashvillians weren't inclined to take mass transit before this pandemic, they're not going to give up their cars now. The city is a long way from that point, and I don't think anyone would build an office building of  this size outside the largest 3-4 cities without parking, or even significantly less than planned for this one. This proposal will eventually have residential and other/retail(?), which would need plenty of parking to persuade people to come in from the suburbs. And don't overlook the likelihood that parking is a revenue center that would be a large part of the IRR for this whole project. That site is currently a desert that won't attract people until they can park and walk to places nearby, and putting up a spec office building there with little/no parking just won't fly. Over time perhaps, when there's a critical mass of activity there.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I get your point, but if Nashvillians weren't inclined to take mass transit before this pandemic, they're not going to give up their cars now. The city is a long way from that point, and I don't think anyone would build an office building of  this size outside the largest 3-4 cities without parking, or even significantly less than planned for this one. This proposal will eventually have residential and other/retail(?), which would need plenty of parking to persuade people to come in from the suburbs. And don't overlook the likelihood that parking is a revenue center that would be a large part of the IRR for this whole project. That site is currently a desert that won't attract people until they can park and walk to places nearby, and putting up a spec office building there with little/no parking just won't fly. Over time perhaps, when there's a critical mass of activity there.

I wonder what the potential revenue for parking is versus revenue lost via leasable space for office, retail, and residential.  

1 hour ago, Nashvillain said:

I wonder what the potential revenue for parking is versus revenue lost via leasable space for office, retail, and residential.  

Conservative estimate for a parking garage is 350 square feet per space. The retail rate for parking in the KVB area is about $180/month (or $2,160/year), so that equates to a little over $6/ft.²/year for a space. Contrast with the going rate for office space downtown which I'm told is between $12 and $44. But that garage space doesn't require plumbing, HVAC, etc. (beyond fire suppression and ventilation for emissions), or expensive build-out of space. I would also assume that office space downtown is cheaper when there isn't parking readily available, but I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was having this exact same discussion with a friend we are quarantining with. Lives in Germantown, office is downtown. The building doesn't have parking , so their option would be to drive to the Titans stadium then take a shuttle back downtown to the office...

So they are going to get a space in a downtown garage somewhere close to the office. It's just out of walking range around a mile and a half. So downtown is definitely still in that weird range of getting dense but just not quite dense enough.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone been to that steak house at the Westin?  Looks so generic with that bland facade and low-budget strip-center roof. You don't have to look too closely to see all the flaws in that building. Shame! 

My wife’s parents have been, her dad said best steak he’s ever had and he’s a big ole sneak snob. Said the sides where so so.  And to your point MLBrumby they said after dark the ambiance was waaay better. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone been to that steak house at the Westin?  Looks so generic with that bland facade and low-budget strip-center roof. You don't have to look too closely to see all the flaws in that building. Shame! 

I've been a couple times. It's pretty legit. The interior of the Westin (at least the lobby) and the Oak Steakhouse, is much nicer than the exterior

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, CenterHill said:

Cool, but seems like an inordinate amount (ie, $) of engineering is required to ensure structural stability of that design.      

It's a matter of dollars, but developers are competing for every company out there, and spending a bit more on the engineering/construction of the building could give an "iconic" office for the developer to market.

Also, from a logic standpoint (i'm no structural engineer) the concrete or steel they use will effectively "tie down" the building as it tapers out. Those columns may need to be a bit bigger, but from a loading standpoint, those columns would be in tension rather than compression.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Only new info is project cost is 250 million

This surprises me. for all the cost increases in the city - residential and commercial costs - I would think construction costs would be increasing as well due to demand. What is construction costing in Austin or Charlotte for comparable projects?