Circle South, 30 story/443'/535,000 sq. ft. office tower; 19 story/239'/261 residential tower; 2.6 acres at Lafayette and 8th Ave. South

markhollin

34 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Can't wait for this one to rise.  It would give us our second really atypical skyscraper!!!!  And it's location  will help it stand out even more!  At least if and until 800 Lea and the Ritz rise.  I needed this permit news today after the Swerdling news yesterday.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm gonna bump this asking about the article regarding the residential building at the northeast corner of Drexel and 8th Ave South. I don't have access to the paywall (on my financial wish list), but is this indeed part of this development?

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/images-released-of-proposed-sobro-residential-tower/article_3cc36650-cab4-11eb-91a4-9fdf9dd5ab72.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

Woah!  And that drawing doesn't even show Giarratana's and the Ritz twins!  That intersection will be reminiscent of the 3 blocks in Denver where the "cash register" tower and others meet at angles. 

It shows the Ritz twins, it used the one KVB design as a placeholder it seems. Interestingly pegs the height at 567’. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

While I know we can't have affordable housing mandates, I wish we would see more 3-bedroom units in these buildings around the city. I know developers don't like them because they are harder to rent, but if we want to work with the "supply model" having more 3-bedrooms will help the affordable crisis. I wonder how much the state would balk at the Downtown Code having a section about residential buildings need 10% (easy round number, no significance to it) 3-bedroom units. It would certainly drive down the number of 1 and 2 bedroom units, but it would certainly add a lot more "family" units to these buildings.

A work around the 3-bedrooms is to have 2 bedrooms plus a large alcove as part of the living room, which can be converted into a 3rd bedroom if needed. Developers can charge more for that flexibility, too. The same design can be done for 1 bedrooms, too. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

I do not know if the work around could be that if Barnes fund could be used to finance a certain % of the units along with TIF, then that would mandate affordable housing in that building. That could be a creative solution.

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

So what’s the reasoning behind basically unlimited height on one piece of land…and close by, only 11 stories?  What kind of zoning is that?

Two different sub districts. Yea I know your going to say that's crazy and I agree 100%

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Love the wrapping of the garage! We would have to go looking for it to realize it was above ground. Not pleased with the amount of stucco, but with the cost of construction and what they spent on the land, this was an easy VE for the developer. Also really like the alignment of Drexel with Cannery Row. This should help with some traffic concerns. I wonder how much of a hassle another Hawk Signal would be to install (Somera Road is doing one just south of the CSX tracks) as there is alot of pedestrian traffic here.

While I know we can't have affordable housing mandates, I wish we would see more 3-bedroom units in these buildings around the city. I know developers don't like them because they are harder to rent, but if we want to work with the "supply model" having more 3-bedrooms will help the affordable crisis. I wonder how much the state would balk at the Downtown Code having a section about residential buildings need 10% (easy round number, no significance to it) 3-bedroom units. It would certainly drive down the number of 1 and 2 bedroom units, but it would certainly add a lot more "family" units to these buildings.

If I’m remembering correctly, there is to be a traffic light installed at Drexel as part of the office tower project. This would allow for safer pedestrian crossing on the north side of the bridge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Lincoln Properties wants to put up another (3rd) mixed use office tower.   It's becoming apparent that developers around the country know that companies like the one from California/Georgia this week are looking for new HQ office space.  So with the slanted building... the 19(20) story residential and this one (530+k s.f.) it's going to be quite dense at that location. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/06/14/circle-south-developers-plan-second-tower.html

This was all posted on Friday and the NBJ just got around to reporting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2