Violent Crime in Charlotte

Sad story from this morning's CBJ (12/09/19), "City's rising violence strikes beloved NoDA business," by Jen Wilson  :tw_heartbreak:

"A troubling rise in violence in the city has hit home for one of Charlotte's beloved local establishments. One of the co-owners of Brooks Sandwich House in NoDa was shot dead outside the restaurant early this morning, apparently as he was just beginning his workday.   CBJ news partner WSOC-TV reports the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department responded around 5:00 a.m. to a shooting at the restaurant at 2710 N. Brevard St., where officers found the victim.  A short time later, CMPD confirmed it is investigating the death as a homicide, noting it appears the man was confronted by an "unknown assailant" as he was arriving to open the eatery.  The victim has since been identified as 61-year-old Scott Brooks, who, along with twin brother David, had operated the restaurant since 1973.   Aside from being widely known as one of the best burger spots in town, the longtime family-owned business is also a contributor to efforts to alleviate the affordable-housing crisis.  Earlier this year, the owners donated 3 acres to be used for the development of affordable townhomes in east Charlotte. “That’s a place where you’ll see everybody from Charlotte converged there. It’s an iconic type of place and a landmark, so… obviously a big blow to the city,” police said, according to the Charlotte Observer.  Condolences began to pour out on social media as the news spread.  The area around Brooks, located a block off North Davidson Street and just south of Heist Brewery and the Johnston YMCA, is closed off as the investigation continues.  Charlotte's surging homicide rate — more than 100 people have been murdered here this year — was cited by the major and several City Council members at last week's swearing-in ceremony as one of the most pressing issues facing local leaders in the year ahead."

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/09/cbj-morning-buzz-citys-rising-violence-strikes.html

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

I'm at a loss for words on how we have arrived at this point.  Back in July, as the homicide rate was increasing, I thought - we are not going to eclipse this.  CMPD and the community at large will get their arms around this and it would level off.  Here we are, less than three weeks to the end of the year, and the number of shooting deaths have jumped ahead.

At times, based on the randomness of some of these occurrences, I have been weary of going out anywhere in Charlotte, but having that sense of paranoia (best word choice I can think of), is not the way to go through life.  We have to be vigilant, be in a group if out at night, and be aware of your surroundings - regardless of where you are.  It seems like this type of violence knows no specific neighborhood or area of the city.  I agree with KJHburg that the courts have been part of the problem.  That also has been made public by the Chief of Police in interviews earlier this year too. I really hope we do not follow in the footsteps of Chicago.  That would be a terrible place for this growing city to end up in.

I don't know what the answer is, or answers are.  Do any of us really know though?  It is an extremely difficult situation to be facing that has many complex answers - which lead to just more questions.  For me personally, I honestly believe that all of this starts at home.  If we teach young people (children especially) that violence is not the answer, it is a step in the right direction.  However, we know the world can be dark and cruel and sometimes violence is the only repercussion that is available in a situation.  I don't have children, and cannot even fathom having the kinds of conversations with them about sheltering in place at school, or the depths of bullying that take place on a daily basis and how to try and deflect that.  Yet, this is where we are in this day and age.  My heart aches for all of the families that have lost a loved one to the senseless violence that has taken over 103 people in Charlotte this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am not afraid to go out but that being said I will not go out late (and for me that means after 11 pm to 6 am) anywhere unless an emergency.  Many of these murders have happened in that time period but not all of course.  

Look at this story WSOC TV did on bail bond differences in Mecklenburg vs. Cabarrus Counties.  Way different and many times people let out on bail commit other crimes somethings violent ones.   We can not let these offenders keep getting out of jail so quickly.  

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/teens-facing-charges-get-lower-bonds-in-meck-county-than-neighboring-county/995278076

last sentence is the kicker

Do you think Mr. Burris would go back to Cabarrus County and commit a crime if his bonds are being set at $450,000, and he has to sit in jail while he awaits his trial, or do you think he's more likely to come to Mecklenburg County and commit a host of crimes?" Philemon said.

• Like 2

Since I mentioned Raleigh they are having a record year for murders too but the numbers are much lower as would be the rate.

Population estimates for both cities in 2018   Charlotte 872,498 and Raleigh 479,332  and Durham 274,291

Charlotte murders 103 Raleigh 29 in 2019  33 in Durham 

Charlotte 1 for every 8470 residents,   Raleigh 1 for every 16,528,    Durham 1 for every 8311 residents 

Durham's rate is higher than Charlotte but Raleigh's murder rate is half the rate of both cities.  

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article238202354.html

I think the goal should be to be below Raleigh's rate could and should be an attainable goal.  Many murders are domestic violence, but we have had some high profile random shootings the Brooks owner, the girl travelling down N Tryon and the exec uptown.  

Every church in this city should have a day of prayer for this violence and believe me prayer can and does work.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Since I mentioned Raleigh they are having a record year for murders too but the numbers are much lower as would be the rate.

Population estimates for both cities in 2018   Charlotte 872,498 and Raleigh 479,332  and Durham 274,291

Charlotte murders 103 Raleigh 29 in 2019  33 in Durham 

Charlotte 1 for every 8470 residents,   Raleigh 1 for every 16,528,    Durham 1 for every 8311 residents 

Durham's rate is higher than Charlotte but Raleigh's murder rate is half the rate of both cities.  

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article238202354.html

I think the goal should be to be below Raleigh's rate could and should be an attainable goal.  Many murders are domestic violence, but we have had some high profile random shootings the Brooks owner, the girl travelling down N Tryon and the exec uptown.  

Every church in this city should have a day of prayer for this violence and believe me prayer can and does work.  

I don’t want to be speculative, but I unknowingly struck up a conversation today with a good friend of Mr. Brooks. We talked for quite some time and he is convinced that this was not some random act of violence. Once again, not my words, his, but from the nature of the murder, it would seem that he was targeted specifically.

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I don’t want to be speculative, but I unknowingly struck up a conversation today with a good friend of Mr. Brooks. We talked for quite some time and he is convinced that this was not some random act of violence. Once again, not my words, his, but from the nature of the murder, it would seem that he was targeted specifically.

Interesting most murders in Charlotte and everywhere are not random though we have some here mentioned above the 2 caught in the crossfire.  Doesnt make it any better for sure.   Very sad.  I just hope the criminal is caught asap. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1st and 2nd degree murder. Death penalty (excluding voluntary and involuntary manslaughter). Terrosim and mass shootings. Dealth penalty. You dont get 2nd chances for those acts in my opinion. Easy way out for them some may say, but in my book, they don't deserve to breathe this precious oxygen anymore. May seem over the top at first, but potential shooters/murderers will think twice I bet with dealth penalty in mind.  Hope ppl in NJ are safe tonight, another horrible act of violence. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

I don't subscribe to the 'broken windows' policing strategy, but you hardly ever see a CMPD presence anywhere, except sirens from afar. People don't obey traffic laws at all, and there is never any enforcement of that. 7 cars ran the red light (crossed the line after it was solid red) at the Sharon/Fairview intersection last week and there was a CMPD vehicle there that did nothing. At least flip on your lights to scare them if you're headed somewhere else. But if people feel like they can get away with small things, why not settle arguments with a gun? Same thing goes for littering. I'm not expecting officers to spend their days writing littering violations, but if people see enforcement of any crime/violation I would think it helps.

On the positive side, Chief Putney did say they had a greater than 80% clearance rate in arresting the murderers this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, KJHburg said:

It is absolute terrible every murder we have had this year.  I still can't get over the murder of the young lady driving to college down N Tryon and 30th St and hit and killed by stray bullet.   It is terrible.  I think our police force needs more help but I think a major problem lies within the courts and bail system in this county.  Why are surrounding counties not showing a spike in murders?  Why is Raleigh not either?  We got to take seriously minor crimes which sometimes leads to major violent crimes.  This is a CITY problem not a neighborhood problem or this group or that group. There is no one answer but it has to stop and please don't tell me we are better per capita or this or that compared to other cities.  100 Plus murders is just unacceptable as a community.  

Raleigh and Durham also have a lot of crime, and based upon what I see on Spectrum News, Fayetteville, on a per capita basis, is off the charts.  I think that all of NC's largest cities need to hire a lot more cops.  I also think that they need to get training and tips from the NYPD, which is the most incredible police force in America by far.  Their results are simply extraordinary.  Granted, NY's unparalleled density makes policing easier, but they still do an amazing job.

Anyway, I think that all of NC's largest cities need a lot more cops.  The crime in a small city like Durham is appalling.

Further, it's a regional thing too.   Parts of Columbia, SC, despite great gentrification, strike me as pretty dangerous.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Raleigh and Durham also have a lot of crime, and based upon what I see on Spectrum News, Fayetteville, on a per capita basis, is off the charts.  I think that all of NC's largest cities need to hire a lot more cops.  I also think that they need to get training and tips from the NYPD, which is the most incredible police force in America by far.  Their results are simply extraordinary.  Granted, NY's unparalleled density makes policing easier, but they still do an amazing job.

Anyway, I think that all of NC's largest cities need a lot more cops.  The crime in a small city like Durham is appalling.

IMO, you know how the adage for driving/speeding/street safety goes?

"If you need to rely on enforcement, then you have designed the street wrong."

That, but for our economic/housing system.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Further, it's a regional thing too.   Parts of Columbia, SC, despite great gentrification, strike me as pretty dangerous.

Durham's murder rate is higher than Charlotte but Raleigh's is much lower a fraction of Charlotte.  I do think more police are needed in the largest cities in the state for sure.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Durham's murder rate is higher than Charlotte but Raleigh's is much lower a fraction of Charlotte.  I do think more police are needed in the largest cities in the state for sure.  

I didn't realize that Raleigh's is that much lower.  

More cops are definitely needed though throughout the state.

In positive news, we are 6 complete days into 2020 and nobody's been killed in Charlotte city limits yet. The last homicide was 13 days ago on December 24. 

With 108 homicides in 2019, we averaged a homicide every 3.3 days. This rate means 4 people should have been killed since Christmas, but we are at 0. 

In 2019, 2 people had been killed by the 6th of January and there were 12 homicides in Jan 2019.

• Like 3