Violent Crime in Charlotte

• 1 month later...

I think the CIAA will be back to Charlotte if this stays up  Baltimore has over 50 murders this year already.  348 last year for a city of 600,000 in 2019. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore-maryland-homicide-2020-shooting-police-violence-city-crime

FYI Charlotte has had 12 so far in 2020 which seems down from last year but still too high in  my book. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Sad thing is the count will typically start to rise when warmer weather rolls in.  Pretty sure I read somewhere that summer is usually when the tally starts ticking up a little faster. 

unfortunately that is correct however I predict at least one summer week this city will be lockdown late August. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Well we've managed to have 5 homicides in a week of social distancing to put us north of 20 so far this year and back on track to hit 100+ by year end. 

With the job losses mounting and schools out, I expect this to rise. I would not be surprised to see looting if this virus situation escalates, which it likely will. 

Prepare your households. Bars on Windows might be wise to save your assets along with other measures. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Sad 2

• 3 months later...

Mass shooting in Charlotte last night around 12:30AM with 9 shot and 2 dead so far. 5 additional people were hit by cars. There is evidence of multiple shooters involved with no arrests. 5 people are in critical condition. 

Absolutely tragic and I hope the injured pull through. https://www.wbtv.com/2020/06/22/two-dead-hurt-after-shooting-block-party-north-charlotte/

• Sad 3

Justin from QC Nerve out again on the scene of this last night.  Twitter thread below.

Also if you just watched the Vice News story shared in another thread unfortunately this happened right off Catherine Simmons Ave which was highlighted about it's violent past

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

A third person confirmed dead in the mass shooting last night. A fourth may be dead per Justin at QC Nerve, pending official confirmation. 

There were two other homicides in the last 24 hours in University and SE Charlotte marking 5 - 6 people killed today. Awful day.

Edited by CLT2014

from twitter about city council meeting about the shootout on Beatties Ford Rd.  emphasis mine

""Jennings: CMPD still saying there are 3 deceased and 2 in critical condition. Others non-life threatening injuries. Says 9 people shot total, no suspect information despite 300 to 400 people there. Only 1 witness has come forward with any info, he says.""

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

3 more homicides within 24 hours in Charlotte, including a 14 year old boy at a strip mall on Beatties Ford. We are at 51 deaths so far this year versus 52 at the same point last year, putting us on track for 100+ homicides again in 2020. The gun violence occurring is absolutely horrible the last couple weeks in our city. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article243905832.html

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

YTD crime in Charlotte: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article246273480.html

Overall crime down 10%, but violent crime is up 11%

The violent crime increase is driven by +23% aggravated assault and +13% homicides. Rapes and burglaries are down -22%. 

On the non-violent crime front, property crime down -14%, car larcenies -17%, robbery -12% which led the overall -10% decrease in crime.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Charlotte's spike in homicides this year is certainly not unique:

Of the large cities surveyed, 70 percent had an increase in homicides, 21 percent had a decrease, and nine percent had no change. Including all 223 agencies surveyed, 58 percent saw a rise in homicide, 20 percent had decreases, and 22 percent — mostly smaller agencies — had no change.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/21/murder-rises-in-pandemic/

Charlotte is up by 20.5% (mean was 35.7%)

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

What is upsetting to me is that within the span of a week, two law enforcement officers lives have been taken.  Mt. Holly and in Concord, are shaken by these senseless acts of violence.  My heart goes out to their families, co-workers and friends that have lost someone so young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 months later...