Violent Crime in Charlotte

3 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

A lot of declines, that's good news!

Yeah kind of hard to draw conclusions with the lack of detail though.  The Twain quote re: statistics applies here.  

Still,  good news doesn’t get much publicity so I do like seeing the declines on quarterly YoY comparisons.  I’m interested in the per capita data and to see the progress broken down over longer periods of time and by zip code. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody else notice their citizen app sending out more and more violent crime notifications recently. It seemed like I used to get maybe one a night and now it’s 4,5,6… 

Now that drive-by shooting and 3 year old dead :( I’ve notice the Gateway area is getting sketchier and sketchier at night. Lots of shady things happening under the NS rail bridge. 

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

Anybody else notice their citizen app sending out more and more violent crime notifications recently. It seemed like I used to get maybe one a night and now it’s 4,5,6… 

Now that drive-by shooting and 3 year old dead :( I’ve notice the Gateway area is getting sketchier and sketchier at night. Lots of shady things happening under the NS rail bridge. 

That's concerning.  I'm in Wesley Heights.  Anything that can be done to stop this before it starts?  I will say though, that sometimes, in places of relative density and diversity, the perception of shadiness is far greater than the reality.

I had a friend in town from NYC a bit over a week ago, and we left the Roxbury and walked home at around 1am.  Had no issue.  Then again, we were a bit under the influence, making us a bit bolder and more willing to throw caution to the wind than if we were totally sober.

Edited by RANYC

3 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Totally disgusted by this killing in NODA.  Ceramics teacher who had evacuated to Charlotte from New Orleans.  Killed in a NODA art studio by this waste of carbon...

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/child-killed-in-drive-by-shooting-in-northwest-charlotte/275-5e09dce3-40ee-4281-8326-fa72f3f20ebd

I think you linked to the wrong horrifying murder case.  The link you posted is about the three year old shot and killed in Northwest Charlotte.  Both stories are disgusting and disheartening.  NODA homicide link is below:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/charlotte-noda-homicide-hurricane-ida-evacuee-suspect-wanted/275-c33dd3c7-0f17-4b8d-9254-8de98de5caa0

• Sad 1

Charlotte's homicides tend to be concentrated in the crescent and in lower income areas. NoDa, Plaza Midwood, South End, et. can end up with a surprising homicide in their neighborhoods as you have a collision between higher income households and economically challenged areas within blocks of each other. For NoDa for example, there have been 9 homicides in the last 180 days within 2 miles of the neighborhood core. Violent crime can still happen in the higher income areas, but it is more rare in economically "uniform" areas -> such as 0 homicides in last 180 days in Ballantyne, South Charlotte, et.

Homicides last 180 days:
image.png.12cc35b283980edac313440525f42485.png

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte's homicides tend to be concentrated in the crescent and in lower income areas. NoDa, Plaza Midwood, South End, et. can end up with a surprising homicide in their neighborhoods as you have a collision between higher income households and economically challenged areas within blocks of each other. For NoDa for example, there have been 9 homicides in the last 180 days within 2 miles of the neighborhood core. Violent crime can still happen in the higher income areas, but it is more rare in economically "uniform" areas -> such as 0 homicides in last 180 days in Ballantyne, South Charlotte, et.

Homicides last 180 days:
image.png.12cc35b283980edac313440525f42485.png

The leaders in uptown are too occupied reimagining and defunding the police department to probably care. It's heartbreaking that it's the lower income areas that bear the brunt of these policies. 

Edited by urbanlover568

10 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

The leaders in uptown are too occupied reimagining and defunding the police department to probably care. It's heartbreaking that it's the lower income areas that bear the brunt of these policies. 

Is there an active effort to establish alternatives to traditional policing in Charlotte? I haven’t heard about this, please tell me more.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Bye. 

Here is a story from WFAE in June which states that the CMPD budget is being increased by $10 million this year. What defunding are you referencing? Help me understand your perspective. Have I missed something with respect to the CMPD budget? Has the budget changed since June?

https://www.wfae.org/crime-justice/2021-06-10/after-other-cities-cut-police-spending-amid-defund-movement-cmpd-budget-will-likely-grow-by-10m

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Just now, kermit said:

Here is a story from WFAE in June which states that the CMPD budget is being increased by $10 million this year. What defunding are you referencing? Help me understand your perspective.

https://www.wfae.org/crime-justice/2021-06-10/after-other-cities-cut-police-spending-amid-defund-movement-cmpd-budget-will-likely-grow-by-10m

Can't take no for a answer like my Child. If someone does not want to talk to you, they don't want to talk to you. YOU are the one that initiated the conversation, NOT me. Go try baiting someone into a nonsense argument. Again, bye. 

https://lockerroom.johnlocke.org/2021/08/13/davidson-college-abolish-the-police-class/

18 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Can't take no for a answer like my Child. If someone does not want to talk to you, they don't want to talk to you. YOU are the one that initiated the conversation, NOT me. Go try baiting someone into a nonsense argument. Again, bye. 

https://lockerroom.johnlocke.org/2021/08/13/davidson-college-abolish-the-police-class/

I am just trying to understand where you are coming from. I don’t really see a class being offered at Davidson, by a visiting professor, as a government policy statement, and I don’t see how a $10 million CMPD budget increase can be characterized as a defunding. Did you misspeak or am I missing something?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Sure, more social workers will surely cut down the murders and violent crime :rolleyes:

Most murders happen within families and among people that know each other. The police just show up at most murders to investigate and try to piece things together. South Charlotte doesn't have less murders due to a better police presence for example..... that area of the city shares the exact same police force. The communities in South Charlotte in general have less broken families, less domestic violence, less drug problems, less solving disputes with gun violence, et.... 

The elusive things is figuring out how to fix up the tragic situation that exists in some households. Fix parenting. Fix family dynamics. Fix poverty. The suspects that killed that 3 year old and sprayed 150 bullets into a house are HIGH SCHOOLERS. We have 14 year olds that are murdering people in this city. We have kids joining and organizing into gangs within our city high schools. This dynamic within the high schools results in more stable households pulling their kids out of those high schools or moving away.  Garinger High is a great example.... it is 99% low income and only 4% white despite also including NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Chantilly, Commonwealth, Country Club Heights, et... in the attendance area. Affluent families with high schoolers either completely move prior to enrolling at Garinger or go the private school / charter school route. Garinger gets left with the poor. The teachers are tired. They know the students will fail the state testing. Gangs form within the school. et.... round and round we go.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

I've heard nothing about defunding the police or even re-imagining it.  I believe the city is experimenting with other tools to fight violent crime - especially murder.   One I've read about is an interventionist effort that appoints and funds people who apparently know the streets, who are supposed to wade into street conflicts and mediate them away from law enforcement so that the conflicts don't become deadly.  Program just started so too early to say whether it will be successful or not.  Truth is, I don't know enough detail about the conflicts that result in gun murders to speculate on whether a program like this will be successful.

I will say that there's either a lot of rage in parts of Charlotte, or there's some sort of sub-societal military/tribal conflict that exists in enclaves.  Yet we apply the same law enforcement tools that deal with speeders and loud music in Ballantyne, to what is effectively enclave warfare.  Some of these blocks in places like Charlotte and Jacksonville, FL might need an Afghanistan-style surge, rather than just the same policing tools and tactics.  I'm not for occupying foreign countries to effect regime-change, but one might make the argument that military-style occupation of persistently violence-ridden enclaves in many American cities might be appropriate.