Jump to content

Violent Crime in Charlotte


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Most murders happen within families and among people that know each other. The police just show up at most murders to investigate and try to piece things together. South Charlotte doesn't have less murders due to a better police presence for example..... that area of the city shares the exact same police force. The communities in general have less broken families, less domestic violence, less drug problems, less solving disputes with gun violence, et.... 

The elusive things is figuring out how to fix up the tragic situation that exists in some households. Fix parenting. Fix family dynamics. Fix poverty. The suspects that killed that 3 year old and sprayed 150 bullets into a house are HIGH SCHOOLERS. We have 14 year olds that are murdering people in this city. We have kids joining and organizing into gangs within our city high schools. 

My friend was murdered in Charlotte and killed for 100 dollars. She did not know her attacker and she joins 44.1% of the people who do not know their attacker. No amount of social work could have prevented the murder. The shooter was a armed felon drug dealer. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kudos to the Observer for researching and reporting this.  This to me is the key paragraph  ""In September, the Charlotte Observer published a four-part investigation showing that prosecutors in

Is there an answer? After this morning's murder of Scott Brooks, I'm at a loss.

Posted Images

Just now, urbanlover568 said:

My friend was murdered in Charlotte and killed for 100 dollars. She did not know her attacker and she joins 44.1% of the people who do not know their attacker. No amount of social work could have prevented the murder. The shooter was a armed felon drug dealer. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. That's awful. I completely agree with you the crime in Charlotte is unacceptable. There are a lot of bad people on the streets in this city.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Most murders happen within families and among people that know each other. The police just show up at most murders to investigate and try to piece things together. South Charlotte doesn't have less murders due to a better police presence for example..... that area of the city shares the exact same police force. The communities in South Charlotte in general have less broken families, less domestic violence, less drug problems, less solving disputes with gun violence, et.... 

The elusive things is figuring out how to fix up the tragic situation that exists in some households. Fix parenting. Fix family dynamics. Fix poverty. The suspects that killed that 3 year old and sprayed 150 bullets into a house are HIGH SCHOOLERS. We have 14 year olds that are murdering people in this city. We have kids joining and organizing into gangs within our city high schools. This dynamic within the high schools results in more stable households pulling their kids out of those high schools or moving away.  Garinger High is a great example.... it is 99% low income and only 4% white despite also including NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Chantilly, Commonwealth, Country Club Heights, et... in the attendance area. Affluent families with high schoolers either completely move prior to enrolling at Garinger or go the private school / charter school route. Garinger gets left with the poor. The teachers are tired. They know the students will fail the state testing. Gangs form within the school. et.... round and round we go.

Read about the 150 bullets too.  These teens are savages and I've written them off.  You pump 150 bullets into a neighborhood, that should be a federal crime and an act of warfare.  We should effect systemic changes, but it's too late for these savages.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Read about the 150 bullets too.  These teens are savages and I've written them off.  You pump 150 bullets into a neighborhood, that should be a federal crime and an act of warfare.  We should effect systemic changes, but it's too late for these savages.

It’s crazy what these young kids are doing. It seems like most homicides & violent crimes in DC are committed by middle and high schoolers. It’s ridiculous. 
 

is this a nation wide thing where crime is being committed by such young people???

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It’s crazy what these young kids are doing. It seems like most homicides & violent crimes in DC are committed by middle and high schoolers. It’s ridiculous. 
 

is this a nation wide thing where crime is being committed by such young people???

Late high school is pretty typical. 17 - 19 years old is the third most common age range of murder suspects after 20 - 24 (most common range of suspects) and 25 - 29. 

Edited by CLT2014
Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy that murdered the Hurricane Ida evacuee, Gabryelle Allnutt , in NoDa has been arrested in Greensboro. 

Regarding the high schooler violence that killed the 3 year old child, lots of chatter on social media being monitored by CMPD. Huntersville Police has increased their presence at North Meck High and Hopewell High amid online threats for violence at those campuses. Four high school campuses are on modified lockdown. Hopewell High is considered the central hub to the violence occurring on the north side of the city.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

is this a nation wide thing where crime is being committed by such young people???

This is nothing new.  FBI statistics have long shown (I assume it's still the case) that the age 20 is the peak for committing crimes.  I worry about what's going on in Texas and other states and the impact that will have in the future.  Twenty years after thr 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, in the early 1990s, crime rates suddenly and precipitously began falling across the nation.  I fear that we're going to see a reversal of that in the future.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2021 at 4:59 PM, JacksonH said:

This is nothing new.  FBI statistics have long shown (I assume it's still the case) that the age 20 is the peak for committing crimes.  I worry about what's going on in Texas and other states and the impact that will have in the future.  Twenty years after thr 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, in the early 1990s, crime rates suddenly and precipitously began falling across the nation.  I fear that we're going to see a reversal of that in the future.

I've always heard that the drop in crime was due to getting lead out of our gas.  I guess it was likely a product of a combination of factors, or maybe you're referring to a different drop in crime?

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.scribd.com/doc/255468308/What-Caused-the-Crime-Decline?secret_password=5sAQQmueFBFO7sD2Ghos

This is the best possible examination for the reasons for the crime decline from 1990 forward. The Brennan Center is an established and trustworthy source for justice related projects. The paper itself is full of much nuance and detail and I refer you there for the full accounting.

An executive summary:

Reduced alcohol sales and consumption, aging of the population, consumer sentiment/technology (home computers/video games/ theft deterrents for homes and cars, etc.), and general economic improvement during the period under study were effective in lowering reported crime. Several factors were of modest to unknown effect and some had negative effect. 

Specifically, lead reduction in motor fuel and abortion were addressed in the study, among other factors, and found wanting.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TGIBridays said:

I've always heard that the drop in crime was due to getting lead out of our gas.  I guess it was likely a product of a combination of factors, or maybe you're referring to a different drop in crime?

Funny, I never heard this lead correlation and had to look it up.  Here's some Wiki articles on both theories.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–crime_hypothesis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalized_abortion_and_crime_effect

27 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

 

An executive summary:

Reduced alcohol sales and consumption, aging of the population, consumer sentiment/technology (home computers/video games/ theft deterrents for homes and cars, etc.), and general economic improvement during the period under study were effective in lowering reported crime. Several factors were of modest to unknown effect and some had negative effect. 

Specifically, lead reduction in motor fuel and abortion were addressed in the study, among other factors, and found wanting.

 

I will have to read later, but the thing that strikes me is and has me initially skeptical is that alcohol sales, aging population, etc., were not immediate changes while the drop in crime was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sclark said:

A bit of a stretch to include this here, but this is pretty fascinating... An officer in the Colombo family has been living in Waxhaw with family. The FBI just arrested him this week: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article254259798.html

Just saw that on Channel 9 I knew there were lots of NYers in Waxhaw but the mob too??

‘I’ll put him in the ground right in front of his wife and kids’: Mob boss arrested in Waxhaw – WSOC TV

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Not violent crime but HUGE stolen goods bust in little Harrisburg.  These people must have been professional shoplifters.  They had $ 1 M in stolen goods in their modest home.

Stolen items removed from Harrisburg home could be worth $1 million, sheriff says (fox46.com)

If it was Christmas trees they stole, I think KJ must have grabbed a few from them ;-)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

If it was Christmas trees they stole, I think KJ must have grabbed a few from them ;-)

funny you mention that they did steal trees from Lowes and Home Depot not sure if they were Christmas or not.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.