Violent Crime in Charlotte

23 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

A week or two ago I saw a couple with a small child steal a shopping cart full of food from the Dilworth HT. The cashiers said the mgr said to just let them go, no trying to get a plate number of filing a police report as it wasn't worth dealing with.

While shoplifting is not good and accrues costs to all of us as not just consumers but as a society, it's not a violent crime either (which is the title/subject of this thread). My (rhetorical) question in this case; do you think they were shoplifting because they wanted to (stick it to the man, for thrills) or because they needed to?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, urbanlover568 said:

These people barely make minimum wage and get treated like s***t. It's unconscionable. These people deserve better, shoppers deserve to shop and feel safe. 

This is why I only shop online now and it breaks my heart that small business owners have to feel the brunt and will struggle to put food on the table for their family. Can't believe it's not common sense that  stealing is bad. 

Did someone say that stealing is not bad? Did I miss that statement?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Did someone say that stealing is not bad? Did I miss that statement?

Just sick of people defending stealing. I had friends shop robbed over and over and their livelihood gone and they ended up homeless themselves with their children. It was heartbreaking.  Poured their entire life savings into their store. 

Edited by urbanlover568
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I think there is a third option... What the shoplifters who ran by me from the Lowes in SouthEnd said. We are stealing from people who have stuff. They are doing it cause they can and cause they can get away with it. 

About 20% of the time I've gone to that Lowe's, someone has run out the door with stuff (often out through the in door). The associates at Lowe's are told not to pursue shoplifters.

It appears loss comprises a 2.33% hit ($136 million a year) to Lowe's Net Income of $5.835 billion (based on numbers for FY ending Jan 2021). Again, this accrues loss to all of us (ultimately) but I would say weeping (metaphorically) for Lowe's (or their shareholders) may be a bit lost on those without any assets to speak of. Grocery margins are even tighter and yet the net income for each of the grocery chains (2020):

Kroger (Harris Teeter): $2.585bn
Ahold Delhaize (Food Lion): €1.4bn ($1.574bn)
Publix: $4bn

If you have not much, shoplifting can feel victimless.

Edited by davidclt
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, JHart said:

You only shop online due to fear of flash retail mobs? Then go on to say it breaks your heart that small business owners struggle to put food on the table for their families after saying you only shop online in the same sentence? Good grief.

I don't even think Tucker Carlson could bullcrap this much. Nobody is defending stealing. Everyone thinks it is wrong. People are just complaining about the Fox News level fear mongering political posts masquerading around this site from people who love calling out posts for breaking political rules on this site when they are from the other side of the aisle. 

This isn't the petty theft thread or the look at how awful California is thread. Flash mob retail robbery stories from LA are not relevant and should not be on this site. 

Stealing is wrong. If you can't understand that then I can't help you. We have failed society and our future generations by normalizing and incentivizing stealing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Stealing is wrong. If you can't understand that then I can't help you. We have failed society and our future generations by normalizing and incentivizing stealing. 

I don't care about this issue but he literally said "Nobody is defending stealing. Everyone thinks it is wrong.".  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, JBS said:

I don't care about this issue but he literally said "Nobody is defending stealing. Everyone thinks it is wrong.".  

And stealing is not (usually) violent crime (Fox News and their ilk notwithstanding) There is a movement wanting us to believe this problem is widespread - especially to drive the message that a violent/deadly response is justified in response to property crime.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, davidclt said:

And stealing is not (usually) violent crime (Fox News and their ilk notwithstanding) There is a movement wanting us to believe this problem is widespread - especially to drive the message that a violent/deadly response is justified in response to property crime.

Stealing is okay as long as it's not violent, got it. 

Edited by urbanlover568
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Man in custody after 10-15 shots fired near Trade & Tryon:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/uptown-charlotte-shooting-police-cmpd/275-fdabe4ec-aa43-47fe-b04f-c111550a65f5

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers witnessed a shooting at the intersection of Trade Street and Tryon Street. CMPD said a four-door sedan was sitting at the light on Tryon Street when the suspect got out and immediately fired multiple shots at the car. The officers immediately confronted the shooter, who took off running and was taken into custody. 

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

Man in custody after 10-15 shots fired near Trade & Tryon:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/uptown-charlotte-shooting-police-cmpd/275-fdabe4ec-aa43-47fe-b04f-c111550a65f5

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers witnessed a shooting at the intersection of Trade Street and Tryon Street. CMPD said a four-door sedan was sitting at the light on Tryon Street when the suspect got out and immediately fired multiple shots at the car. The officers immediately confronted the shooter, who took off running and was taken into custody. 

This has got to be the dumbest place outside of maybe the airport to attempt to shoot someone. Between the various levels of BOA private security and constant police presence coupled with the mid workday time frame, I can't imagine any one getting away with it. 

• 4 weeks later...