Violent Crime in Charlotte

9 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It's so infuriating how people twist and manipulate data against certain areas that as soon as it gets debunked or explained, they just jump right next to "what about" without even acknowledging the facts  within the same sentence. It's like wack-a-mole and there are real consequences to this constant torrent of falsehoods & ignorance (I don't mean willful ignorance but rather when people here something repeated over and over, they tend to believe it and they themselves spread it). We can see tangible consequences - most visibly in election denying which is becoming a legitimate concern for democracy when people think Philadelphia's votes, for example, are lies. That Philadelphia should be monitored and watched and examined. That Detroit, Atlanta. None of them can properly run elections, it can't be true. Our democracy almost collapsed literally due to the belief that Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc. conspired to steal the election...

Also, as people who are typically to the left or at very least all are pro-urban... I wouldn't be so quick to parrot these talking points about San Francisco, Seattle, etc. because at the end of the day, some of the most derided cities in America by typically the right and with talking points repeated so much it becomes assumed to be true. But those cities tend to have things that Charlotte needs and deserves. Density, bike infrastructure, retail, most things that people want from Charlotte, those cities have and with that comes big city problems. Where does one see the most homeless in Charlotte? Besides a few highway ramps, it's typically Uptown Charlotte. Where do people mix the most with lower-income and people of colour in Charlotte? Typically uptown. What is one of the areas that is a boogeyman of uptown? the Transportation Centre. State and suburban leaders point to that as Charlotte's failures. The same thing the Seattle's are derided for on a national scale, Charlotte is derided for on a state scale. When Charlotte sued North Carolina and had a restraining order against the state when the state tried to take over the airport, the state used the same rhetoric to justify why Charlotte wasn't fit to run the airport.  Why did NC pass laws that micromanaged how much taxes the city could raise for mass transit or restrict certain zoning requirements? Because of the same rhetoric that Seattle gets on a national scale. 

Beyond the very real and tangible effects of constantly making cities out to be a boogeyman, it's also worth noting that some of the biggest booms in urbanity are coming from those "libtard" cities. Their urban development is very impressive, booming even while their metro populations may be slowing or even if the city growth is anemic or even not growing; their urban growth is on fire and eclipsing most boom towns in other states and regions. They're building more developments, more towers, more mass transit, more density, etc. Those cities aren't really losing the largest corporations. They're maintaining if not the HQ's, large footprints in say the Bay area or NY, etc. The portfolio of top-tier headquarters and prestigious firms HQ-ed in some of those cities aren't going away anytime soon. there's just a lot to enjoy in the Seattle's of the US and I wouldn't be so quick to follow the looting/rioting narrative. Because on the state-level, Charlotte gets victim of that too and well.

And those who parrot the "those liberal cities" fist shaking narratives... better hope Cooper wins in 2024 because to remind folks of when McCrory was governor.... Charlotte got screwed left and right. More devastating than limiting taxes Charlotte can levy, taking away the airport (and splitting control of the airport between Meck and Suburban counties), etc. McCrory & the State threatened to yank funds (which would cause federal government to pull funds) from the Blue Line extension that was mostly built and threatened to mothball it (see other states where no matter how far along a project gets, they've pulled the plug before) if Charlotte dared used property taxes to build streetcar. Also don't forget the "Redistribution" bill that McCrory veto-ed but the state GOP just barely lacked the votes to override his veto that would've slashed Mecklenburg's tax revenue by well over 25% (which would've been a worse loss in tax revenue for Mecklenburg and Charlotte than the great recession) that would've led to closed libraries etc.) while increasing the tax revenue by some neighboring counties by hundreds of percent (because it wasn't fair Mecklenburg had so much tax revenue when Lincoln County, for example, needed more for schools, etc.). Those are the kinds of policies one gets with the "scary liberal city" narrative (which Charlotte is in NC.)

Yeah one correction.  Josh Stein is the likely Democratic nominee for the 2024 gubernatorial race.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 10:28 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

It's so infuriating how people twist and manipulate data against certain areas that as soon as it gets debunked or explained, they just jump right next to "what about" without even acknowledging the facts  within the same sentence. It's like wack-a-mole and there are real consequences to this constant torrent of falsehoods & ignorance (I don't mean willful ignorance but rather when people here something repeated over and over, they tend to believe it and they themselves spread it). We can see tangible consequences - most visibly in election denying which is becoming a legitimate concern for democracy when people think Philadelphia's votes, for example, are lies. That Philadelphia should be monitored and watched and examined. That Detroit, Atlanta. None of them can properly run elections, it can't be true. Our democracy almost collapsed literally due to the belief that Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc. conspired to steal the election...

Also, as people who are typically to the left or at very least all are pro-urban... I wouldn't be so quick to parrot these talking points about San Francisco, Seattle, etc. because at the end of the day, some of the most derided cities in America by typically the right and with talking points repeated so much it becomes assumed to be true. But those cities tend to have things that Charlotte needs and deserves. Density, bike infrastructure, retail, most things that people want from Charlotte, those cities have and with that comes big city problems. Where does one see the most homeless in Charlotte? Besides a few highway ramps, it's typically Uptown Charlotte. Where do people mix the most with lower-income and people of colour in Charlotte? Typically uptown. What is one of the areas that is a boogeyman of uptown? the Transportation Centre. State and suburban leaders point to that as Charlotte's failures. The same thing the Seattle's are derided for on a national scale, Charlotte is derided for on a state scale. When Charlotte sued North Carolina and had a restraining order against the state when the state tried to take over the airport, the state used the same rhetoric to justify why Charlotte wasn't fit to run the airport.  Why did NC pass laws that micromanaged how much taxes the city could raise for mass transit or restrict certain zoning requirements? Because of the same rhetoric that Seattle gets on a national scale. 

Beyond the very real and tangible effects of constantly making cities out to be a boogeyman, it's also worth noting that some of the biggest booms in urbanity are coming from those "libtard" cities. Their urban development is very impressive, booming even while their metro populations may be slowing or even if the city growth is anemic or even not growing; their urban growth is on fire and eclipsing most boom towns in other states and regions. They're building more developments, more towers, more mass transit, more density, etc. Those cities aren't really losing the largest corporations. They're maintaining if not the HQ's, large footprints in say the Bay area or NY, etc. The portfolio of top-tier headquarters and prestigious firms HQ-ed in some of those cities aren't going away anytime soon. there's just a lot to enjoy in the Seattle's of the US and I wouldn't be so quick to follow the looting/rioting narrative. Because on the state-level, Charlotte gets victim of that too and well.

And those who parrot the "those liberal cities" fist shaking narratives... better hope Cooper wins in 2024 because to remind folks of when McCrory was governor.... Charlotte got screwed left and right. More devastating than limiting taxes Charlotte can levy, taking away the airport (and splitting control of the airport between Meck and Suburban counties), etc. McCrory & the State threatened to yank funds (which would cause federal government to pull funds) from the Blue Line extension that was mostly built and threatened to mothball it (see other states where no matter how far along a project gets, they've pulled the plug before) if Charlotte dared used property taxes to build streetcar. Also don't forget the "Redistribution" bill that McCrory veto-ed but the state GOP just barely lacked the votes to override his veto that would've slashed Mecklenburg's tax revenue by well over 25% (which would've been a worse loss in tax revenue for Mecklenburg and Charlotte than the great recession) that would've led to closed libraries etc.) while increasing the tax revenue by some neighboring counties by hundreds of percent (because it wasn't fair Mecklenburg had so much tax revenue when Lincoln County, for example, needed more for schools, etc.). Those are the kinds of policies one gets with the "scary liberal city" narrative (which Charlotte is in NC.)

Regarding Seattle in particular, it's an incredibly safe city and the narrative that it's not is pushed by the right-leaning media there like KOMO (which is owned by Sinclair and pushes their talking points) and their "Seattle Is Dying" documentary which has been completely derided by locals. Seattle is vibrant and pretty clean. There are homeless people there like there are in any other major city with a growing wealth gap issue, but Sinclair and others want to paint the picture that it's a failure of a city because it's a liberal one and they have an interest in showing all liberal policies as failures.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I spent several days in a hotel in downtown Seattle, first trip there for me, and walking around I was struck at how young the homeless people were. I am familiar with the 40+ age drug/alco/ill health type from my life experiences and there were substantial numbers of 20-ish looking people rummaging in trash cans, living in tents, begging (sort of). A recalculation of the stratum for the PNW. Not threatening except to my priors.

What is Portland like on this scale?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

What is Portland like on this scale?

In my experience young (early 20ish) folks were the most visible people (to tourists) in the cohort. But as you travel further from downtown there are plenty of homeless folks in older demographics. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

In my experience young (early 20ish) folks were the most visible people (to tourists) in the cohort. But as you travel further from downtown there are plenty of homeless folks in older demographics. 

That's accurate in my memory too. A lot of young homeless people in downtown and the homeless population over by UW is almost entirely young, and then you'll see the older homeless people outside of downtown and in tent cities.

• 2 months later...

this headline needs to be corrected.  This hotel is not in SW Charlotte it is in the heart of Southpark and I wonder if that is why they called it SW Charlotte.  I have never heard this area referred to in that way.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/cmpd-investigating-fatal-shooting-inside-hotel-southwest-charlotte/A6MM64GWNFGMNHUB5IRT7GXSRY/

tragic murder inside the Marriott! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Neither violent nor in Charlotte but this has been discussed here in the past so…

WSJ has a paywalled story today on retail theft (shoplifting) returning to more typical levels at Walgreens as the pandemic-era drama of smash and grabs has faded away. The company says many of their new security measures were over reactions and they are going to reduce the amount of inventory kept locked. There was some discussion that the rise in thefts were largely tied to opportunities to resell the stolen goods online back when everyone was at home during the pandemic.

Perhaps the collapse of civil society has been postponed?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/walgreens-revisits-shoplifting-security-as-losses-from-theft-drop-11673012157

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

CHARLOTTE — Two people were killed after a shooting outside a popular brewery in South End, according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

The shooting happened outside the Wooden Robot on South Tryon Street just before midnight. Channel 9 arrived on the scene shortly after the shooting happened and could see a large police presence.

CMPD said in a release that they responded to an assault with a deadly weapon call near West Summit Avenue.

A woman was found with an apparent gunshot wound and was pronounced dead on the scene by paramedics, according to police. A man was then found with a gunshot wound and transported to the hospital. He was later pronounced dead.

CMPD homicide detectives are investigating. Channel 9′s Anthony Kustura learned the victims knew one another.

Police said they are not looking for any suspects. Maj. Brad Koch said due to the relationship of the victims, they do not think the shooting was not a random act of violence.

The police scene cleared a little after 4 a.m.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

CHARLOTTE — Two people were killed after a shooting outside a popular brewery in South End, according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

The shooting happened outside the Wooden Robot on South Tryon Street just before midnight. Channel 9 arrived on the scene shortly after the shooting happened and could see a large police presence.

CMPD said in a release that they responded to an assault with a deadly weapon call near West Summit Avenue.

A woman was found with an apparent gunshot wound and was pronounced dead on the scene by paramedics, according to police. A man was then found with a gunshot wound and transported to the hospital. He was later pronounced dead.

CMPD homicide detectives are investigating. Channel 9′s Anthony Kustura learned the victims knew one another.

Police said they are not looking for any suspects. Maj. Brad Koch said due to the relationship of the victims, they do not think the shooting was not a random act of violence.

The police scene cleared a little after 4 a.m.

Terrible.  To add to the part in bold I had the news on this morning and WCNC interviewed the manager of Vinyl.  Sounds as if the victims left Vinyl and were getting in their car and a red Dodge Charger which was abandoned on the scene came speeding up and the suspect got out of the car and started shooting

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article276320716.html

Disturbing and violent racist threats made towards Mecklenburg County black couple over refusal unwarranted solicitation of lawn services in spring 2022. Now black couple is selling home due to safety reasons for possible race-ralated threats of violent retribution towards their family. 

Violence is out of control and showing that here too. 

• Sad 1

On 6/10/2023 at 10:13 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Crime in the Carolinas is kind of crazy at the moment.

7F114064-E7C8-4CAC-8E47-564A07722E1E.jpeg

Even in my small NC town the weekends have been full of gunfire with more than a few murder/serious injury victims. Not hyperbole, it used to not be like that. I'm not saying it didn't happen but certainly not at the rates it has been for the last few years. In my daughter's short time in Charlotte she has witnessed a carjacking and heard gun shots within an adjoining apartment complex not to mention free usage of drugs (and I'm not just talking about the college student variety). She has pretty much given up riding the Blue Line.

6 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Even in my small NC town the weekends have been full of gunfire with more than a few murder/serious injury victims. Not hyperbole, it used to not be like that. I'm not saying it didn't happen but certainly not at the rates it has been for the last few years. In my daughter's short time in Charlotte she has witnessed a carjacking and heard gun shots within an adjoining apartment complex not to mention free usage of drugs (and I'm not just talking about the college student variety). She has pretty much given up riding the Blue Line.

There are shootings in Chapel Hill.  It’s insane.