Morgan Square Redesign

westsider28

At Monday's meeting, City Council voted to create a "Morgan Square Redevelopment Committee".  Here are the members (seems like a fairly diverse group of stakeholders):

►Halsey Cook, CEO Milliken & Co., will serve as chairman

►Raj Patel, Co-owner Cribbs Restaurant & Main St. Pub

►Betsy Teter, Founder Hub City Press

►Tori James LeRoy, Co-owner Two Doors Down clothing store

►Lauren Rogers, City Design Review Board Member

►Jamar Brown, City Planning Commissioner

►Brenda Lee Pryce, Former state representative 

►Alex Powell, Johnson Development

►John Bauknight, Broker with NAI Earle Furman

►William Gray, McMillan Pazdan Smith Architects

►Jack McBride, Founder and Cairman, Contec, Inc. 

►Spartanburg Mayor Jerome Rice and Manning Lynch, Spartanburg County Council chair, will both act as ex officio members of the committee. 

The committee's work will take 6-12 months and will involve a robust public engagement process. After their work is complete, the new committee will make final recommendations to City Council regarding changes to the square.

Separate from the square redesign discussion, Council will take up extending the West Main street closure at their next meeting on August 8.

https://www.cityofspartanburg.org/news/city-council-approves-creation-of-morgan-square-redevelopment-committee

Edited by westsider28
More details
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

21 minutes ago, Darelle said:

Maybe, I am wrong but I think the “central” is where Morgan is located rather than the comparison of  Central Park

Agree.  Let's not allow this conversation to get heated by comparing Morgan Square with NYC's Central Park .  However, Morgan Square should be regarded as Spartanburg's "Central Gathering Place". 

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, westsider28 said:

City Council voted tonight (7-0) to keep the section of West Main at Morgan Square closed to vehicles for the next 24 months while the redevelopment committee does their job.  (H-J article)

It’d be nice for this area to eventually become either grass or brick filled and Spartanburg to have more walk-only sections in and around downtown. I’ve only been in Spartanburg for 2 years but the very walkable area around Morgan square is one of my favorite places to be/walk

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, roads-scholar said:

Agree.  Let's not allow this conversation to get heated by comparing Morgan Square with NYC's Central Park .  However, Morgan Square should be regarded as Spartanburg's "Central Gathering Place". 

Agreed. And without question the most important one.

• Spartan pinned this topic
  • 5 weeks later...

The City has posted a podcast about Morgan Square over the years to give some context to the current redesign efforts.  Also included is a link to an extensive PDF about the history of the Square, its many iterations, and several plans that didn't materialize.  I've seen most of them, but there were several plans even I wasn't familiar with.  Very interesting!

• Like 1

That's a really great find. I assumed I had seen all of the previous iterations for Morgan Square, and I have, but I have NOT seen all of the concepts for how to rework it over the years.  My favorite was taking the opportunity block and converting that into a much larger park.

I also love the aerial from the 1920s. You can really get a feel for how much larger downtown was and would feel like today had they not torn most of it down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At Monday's meeting, City Council will consider awarding a design contract to MKSK for enhancements to Morgan Square.  The City received 10 submittals to the RFQ and interviewed 3 candidates to decide on this one.  Design and engineering services will cost around $260,000; which will be paid for with downtown district and economic development funding, and potentially a grant.  MKSK does excellent work, so I think it's a great choice.  Looking forward to the subsequent public input process.

P&C article

Edit: Apparently there will be an initial public info/input meeting the evening of Dec. 14 at the Chapman Cultural Center, assuming the contract is approved.

Edited by westsider28
Added article and more details

• 3 weeks later...

The correct date for the public kick-off event is December 13, 4:30 - 6:00 pm at the Chapman Cultural Center.  It will be an informational meeting with the City, Design Team, Steering Committee members and keynote speaker Mitchell Silver (former NYC Parks Commissioner and former Raleigh director of City Planning).  There will be a community workshop event in February (exact date TBD).  There's also a new webpage with relevant info about the process: https://www.cityofspartanburg.org/morgan-square  Here's the study area:

1759611799_msStudyArea.thumb.jpg.63b8b50daf73e293b36df47c4fa939c0.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Spartan changed the title to Morgan Square Redesign
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, westsider28 said:

Somewhat related to a potential Morgan Square redesign and would tie-in to it, is a new plan to redesign Wall Street as well.  It's not a huge change, and mainly seems to add trees, which is nice.  The current design was kind of a "hedge" in that it could still handle vehicles, whereas this new design is clearly all-in on it being only for pedestrians.

984171399_WallStupgrades2022.thumb.jpg.c804f21bf82d7a5167b7e328b0c82b86.jpg

According to an Instagram post from Ali Baba, the City will be starting this project to improve Wall Street on Monday, January 9.

Should be a nice improvement.  However, there was no public notice, no public input (this was designed entirely behind closed doors), and no Council vote to authorize this (where is the funding coming from?). We need more transparency.

Edited by westsider28

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, camtology said:

Does anyone have an update on what was discussed in this meeting last night?

It was still pretty high-level conceptual stuff for the most part.  There were various stations for different types of input.  There was a map of the Square where people put green dots where they felt comfortable (upper square, pedestrianized West Main) and red dots where they felt uncomfortable (Church St crossing, lower square where homeless hang out).  Some recap of the public survey results from late last year.  Discussions with MKSK staff on possibilities for the Square and nearby areas (better Church St crossing, retail in 1MS, better wayfinding for parking, increase residential population, etc).  A station where you described your ideal day in a renovated Morgan Square.  Those types of things.  Here's a few photos (wish I took more):

PXL_20230221_221440472.thumb.jpg.029abef73eb41d6cb9255f54c5650d71.jpg

PXL_20230221_221415853.thumb.jpg.d0b73e9cf1aa2e67bad90827a34bbe1f.jpg

PXL_20230221_224525030.thumb.jpg.623b1a9840e4f618a35c282e6768329c.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quote from Betsy Teter (member of the Morgan Square Redevelopment Committee) after a tour of the Square's trees with an arborist:

The arborist explained that there are issues with many of our trees. Some, like the Dawn Redwoods at the top of the square, are planted too closely together for them to reach full height. Others are in boxes or sidewalks that don't give them much room to grow and over years this can diminish their chances of survival.

What I heard yesterday was that the biggest, healthiest trees -- the oaks that circle the concert area -- are the most likely to be preserved. The trees down the sidewalks on West Main and [Dunbar] will, over time, need to be replaced, but the arborist suggested that this process can be phased over years while new, longer-living trees, planted a little bit farther from the storefronts, could reach heights that create shade.

I was encouraged when I saw the arborist's website. It says, "Preserving trees is our primary focus."

A big thanks to City Manager Chris Story for realizing that the arborist should come to the square to talk to us about ways to incorporate more existing trees into the emerging plans. Also to Manning Lynch and John Bauknight for attending.

This community has done a great job of espousing the virtues of our tree canopy. Please keep it up. Three proposed designs for the square will be presented by MKSK on April 25 at an afternoon public event at the square. More details to come.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Morgan Square Community Workshop 2 will take place at the Square (rain location: downtown Library) from 4:30 to 6:30 PM on Tuesday, April 25.  The Facebook event says: 

Drop by the Square to see "first look" designs for the next stage in the Square's evolution!

This drop-in event will have interactive exercises and opportunities to share your thoughts, provide the team with clear direction, and learn how you can stay involved in the process of Morgan Square's redesign!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 5:32 PM, westsider28 said:

Morgan Square Community Workshop 2 will take place at the Square (rain location: downtown Library) from 4:30 to 6:30 PM on Tuesday, April 25.  The Facebook event says: 

Drop by the Square to see "first look" designs for the next stage in the Square's evolution!

This drop-in event will have interactive exercises and opportunities to share your thoughts, provide the team with clear direction, and learn how you can stay involved in the process of Morgan Square's redesign!

Reminder that tomorrow is the next community workshop for Morgan Square.  Three possible designs will be shown, and the public can give input as to which design (or elements of the designs) they like.  That will help the team refine the plan.

• Like 2