Possible Morgan Square Changes

westsider28

Posted (edited)

At Monday's meeting, City Council voted to create a "Morgan Square Redevelopment Committee".  Here are the members (seems like a fairly diverse group of stakeholders):

►Halsey Cook, CEO Milliken & Co., will serve as chairman

►Raj Patel, Co-owner Cribbs Restaurant & Main St. Pub

►Betsy Teter, Founder Hub City Press

►Tori James LeRoy, Co-owner Two Doors Down clothing store

►Lauren Rogers, City Design Review Board Member

►Jamar Brown, City Planning Commissioner

►Brenda Lee Pryce, Former state representative 

►Alex Powell, Johnson Development

►John Bauknight, Broker with NAI Earle Furman

►William Gray, McMillan Pazdan Smith Architects

►Jack McBride, Founder and Cairman, Contec, Inc. 

►Spartanburg Mayor Jerome Rice and Manning Lynch, Spartanburg County Council chair, will both act as ex officio members of the committee. 

The committee's work will take 6-12 months and will involve a robust public engagement process. After their work is complete, the new committee will make final recommendations to City Council regarding changes to the square.

Separate from the square redesign discussion, Council will take up extending the West Main street closure at their next meeting on August 8.

https://www.cityofspartanburg.org/news/city-council-approves-creation-of-morgan-square-redevelopment-committee

Edited by westsider28
More details
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

21 minutes ago, Darelle said:

Maybe, I am wrong but I think the “central” is where Morgan is located rather than the comparison of  Central Park

Agree.  Let's not allow this conversation to get heated by comparing Morgan Square with NYC's Central Park .  However, Morgan Square should be regarded as Spartanburg's "Central Gathering Place". 

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, westsider28 said:

City Council voted tonight (7-0) to keep the section of West Main at Morgan Square closed to vehicles for the next 24 months while the redevelopment committee does their job.  (H-J article)

It’d be nice for this area to eventually become either grass or brick filled and Spartanburg to have more walk-only sections in and around downtown. I’ve only been in Spartanburg for 2 years but the very walkable area around Morgan square is one of my favorite places to be/walk

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, roads-scholar said:

Agree.  Let's not allow this conversation to get heated by comparing Morgan Square with NYC's Central Park .  However, Morgan Square should be regarded as Spartanburg's "Central Gathering Place". 

Agreed. And without question the most important one.

• Spartan pinned this topic
  • 5 weeks later...

The City has posted a podcast about Morgan Square over the years to give some context to the current redesign efforts.  Also included is a link to an extensive PDF about the history of the Square, its many iterations, and several plans that didn't materialize.  I've seen most of them, but there were several plans even I wasn't familiar with.  Very interesting!

• Like 1

That's a really great find. I assumed I had seen all of the previous iterations for Morgan Square, and I have, but I have NOT seen all of the concepts for how to rework it over the years.  My favorite was taking the opportunity block and converting that into a much larger park.

I also love the aerial from the 1920s. You can really get a feel for how much larger downtown was and would feel like today had they not torn most of it down.

• Like 1