San Jose CA

Showtime24

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in San Jose 4 weeks ago for a conference and was VERY impressed with the place. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures :(

Downtown San Jose seems to be lacking in the height department, but it more than makes up for that in terms of street life, charm etc. There is a light rail line that runs up and down First and Second Street that I used to get to and from the airport. The people there seemed very friendly and even though some nearby neighborhoods appear to be marginal, I can assure you that most are safe as I had to walk through some at night after taking the Caltrain-. Speaking of the Caltrain, for $6 I took the train up to Stanford to watch a track meet. The train runs every hour on the weekend until 10pm or so and more frequently on weekdays. If you take Santa Clara Street west, pass under the freeway, the train station is only 1.5 mile from downtown (just past the HP Pavilion where the San Jose Sharks play). It's the big parking lot to the left.

Also downtown is San Jose State Univ. They have a small but very well kept campus just a few blocks east of 1st (South Market Street?). Another block to the east is a fairly nice greenway with natural running trails. I didn't get to explore much of it, but what I saw was nice as well.

3 miles west of downtown is the Winchester Mystery House where the heir to the Winchester gun fortune had an unfortunate loss of sanity and basically used her family fortune to erect this massive house to keep the evil spirits (of all the dead killed by Winchester rifles) away. A friend of mine visited it and he highly recommended it to me.

For VTA's (Valley Trans. Authority) bus and rail map, check out THIS website or pick up a copy at the airport.

Hope this helps.

I went to downtown San Jose about five years ago. The one thing that sticks in my mind is how small the downtown was for a city of 950,000 people. They do have some very nice historic buildings, some of which I took photos of. I will have to see if I can find them.

I also visited the Winchester Mystery House. It was very interesting - I definately recommend it to anyone who is visiting the area.

Archived