Shops at Greenridge

gs3

I agree. However, now Verdae MarketFair seems to be pitiful:

http://www.noromanagement.com/property-pro...MarketFair'

At least it's in good physical condition and doesn't really seem to need renovation. I remember when it was built in the late 1980s; seems like yesterday.

That list isn't right....There are LOTS more stores there than that. The Mole Hole, WestPoint Stevens store, UPS store, etc....Don't know why they aren't listed.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they moved there a few years ago. I don't believe they're at G'ville Mall any more.

You're right. Like everything else, the Mole Hole left Greenville Mall. Unfortunately, at the moment it looks like they jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire, because Verdae seems to be "dying" now too. (I'm sure it will pick back up with I-Car and all)

Verdae Marketfair has done okay. The complex is in good condition. The parking lot needs to be repaved.

I really miss Old Country Buffet. It was a great eatery. It has been replaced by Dollar General.

It surprises me West Point Stevens' Mill Store remains open. They were going out of business at one time.

With the Verdae development going up and Gower Estates nearby, a supermarket (i.e. Publix) could do fairly well in the old Service Merchandise. Laurens Road has been without a supermarket for over five years.

Verdae Marketfair has done okay. The complex is in good condition. The parking lot needs to be repaved.

I really miss Old Country Buffet. It was a great eatery. It has been replaced by Dollar General.

It surprises me West Point Stevens' Mill Store remains open. They were going out of business at one time.

With the Verdae development going up and Gower Estates nearby, a supermarket (i.e. Publix) could do fairly well in the old Service Merchandise. Laurens Road has been without a supermarket for over five years.

Well, Most Gower folks shop at the Publix on Pleasantburg. But I could understand placing some grocery store there once Verdae is built. It'd be a great location. Why don't we have Piggly Wiggly's here? I'd like to see one locate in Greenville

I'd like to see Wegmans come to the old site. With the number of people that are relocating here to Greenville from PA, NY, NJ, MA, MD, etc, I'm sure that they would be all over a Wegmans. Plus, its the perfect mix of Fresh Market and Publix for those who haven't been there. The bakery is top notch, with a brick oven and even a wood fired oven in some stores.

BTW, since I haven't been by there in a while how is the plaza with Petsmart, B.A.M., Sports Authority, etc. holding out? Have they survived Woodruff?

Also, is that Factory Furniture place still in the old Sams building?

Here is the Wegmans website for those who are interested. Another thing is that I've noticed the grocery stores up north tend to be higher quality and more variety. Anyways, I've scoured the web for some pics of a Wegmans.

post-742-1131137443_thumb.jpg post-742-1131137454_thumb.jpg

post-742-1131137679_thumb.jpg post-742-1131137479_thumb.jpg

post-742-1131137496_thumb.jpg post-742-1131137506_thumb.jpg

post-742-1131137536_thumb.jpg post-742-1131137548_thumb.jpg

post-742-1131137571_thumb.jpg post-742-1131137580_thumb.jpg

post-742-1131137596_thumb.jpg post-742-1131137604_thumb.jpg

post-742-1131137616_thumb.jpg post-742-1131137693_thumb.jpg

I could see that in the old Service Merchandise building....Isn't it right next to Marshalls? If a supermarket needed the space they could always use both buildings.

That shopping complex, Marketplace, seems to be doing well. The recent additions of Old Time Pottery and Guitar Center are worth checking out. Petsmart does well as usual. The Sports Authority and Books-a-Million are holding up with the new Dick's and Barnes & Noble at Greenridge. Books-a-Million could use an interior remodel.

Yes, the Furniture For Less place is still in the old Sam's Club. I think this is Wal-Mart's take into the discount furniture business. There are not many cars in the parking lot, so I doubt it is doing that much business. Wal-Mart still owns the site and those Supercenter rumors are still there.

Yes, the Furniture For Less place is still in the old Sam's Club. I think this is Wal-Mart's take into the discount furniture business. There are not many cars in the parking lot, so I doubt it is doing that much business. Wal-Mart still owns the site and those Supercenter rumors are still there.

The prices in there are rediculously high. I think Wal-Mart/Sam's is actually just leasing the space out to Furniture for Less. A Wal-Mart Supercenter wold be a welcome change for that location.

I think a Wal-Mart Supercenter there would do wonders for Laurens Road. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I'd love to see a walmart back in this area, but i'd hate to see along laurens Rd the stores that it'd bring with it. You know, the stereotypical shopping strip that is built next to EVERY walmart it seems.

There was rumor that Wl-Mart might build a Supercenter on the old Sams property. Who knows how long before that will happen.

Jarvisj3 is absolutely correct about Northern grocery stores having more to offer. The snack isles are double the size of ours, as is the meat and cheese areas. :)

Well, the one other thing about the north is that there aren't as many WalMarts up there. Second, Wegmans doesn't locate near WalMarts. I'm very disapointed that I just heard that some people want a WalMart on Laurens. I can think of a dozen other stores to put there. I'd be the first in line to petition Knox White to deny them a permit for another big box like that, when the Woodruff Rd store is just 3 miles down the road. It's this uncontrollled development and sprawl that is causing traffic to be the nightmare. I'd like to see Burlington Coat Factory move to a Verde location in a bigger store, like the one I was at in Syracuse, NY, which was about 5 times the size of the store in Gville. I think that developers can revitalize Laurens Rd with some good strategic planning, and placement of existing stores into the now vacant places. Some examples of this are moving Computer Direct to the Market Place or Verde, moving Burlington. Putting a BiLo in where Burlington and Office Max are. ( I believe that BiLo owns that property and building anyways) I've some ideas for Sams, Goodys and Best Buy that I'll share later.

... I'm very disapointed that I just heard that some people want a WalMart on Laurens. I can think of a dozen other stores to put there. ...

For the record, I never said that I wanted a Wal-Mart on Laurens Road. I merely stated that it would be welcome improvement over what currently occupies those two particular locations (nothing and almost nothing), still being under the impression at the time that it's inevitable. Heck, I don't really even want Wal-Mart in Travelers Rest; however, that ship has already sailed.

I'd be very interested in hearing more about your ideas for Laurens. I do agree that there are probably at least a dozen better things that can go where the old Sam's and Goody's are, if Wal-Mart isn't inevitable.

I don't care for Wal-Mart, but I would much rather have a Wal-Mart (who is notorious for bringing a lot of business with it) on Laurens Road than nothing at all. NOBODY wants to be on Laurens Road and it is currently the most undesirable place to be on that side of town.

If Wal-Mart wants to locate there, I would hope that the city gives them guidelines as to the appearance of the store. If the city has a master plan for that area, Wal-Mart could surely be advised as to how they best fit into it. Something like they are building in Travelers Rest would look really nice on Laurens.

I don't think the Wal-Mart on Woodruff is a problem at all. There are enough people in that area to easily support two Wal-Mart Supercenters within a few miles of one another.

I notice some of y'all are hankerin' for a Wegmans, and I couldn't resist posting. :D I'm from Greer, but I've been visiting Rochester -- and Wegmans -- on and off for a few years now. Last time I flew up, I took an Independence Air flight and wound up sitting next to one of the executives from Wegmans. I actually mentioned that Greenville would be a great spot for a future Wegmans -- silly, I know, but she said that Wegmans eventually plans to branch out all over the Eastern Seaboard. So don't lose hope, Wegmans fans! :) It might be a while before we see one, but I really think we will.

..also, yay, first post on the forums.

Archived