Sign in to follow this  
titanhog

Amazon monopoly...

Just wondering what you guys think about Amazon's explosive growth and how much influence they'll have in the future as they continue to rule online retail and branch out into other segments of society (shipping, healthcare, etc).

Will they ever get so big and so powerful that the government will have to step in to keep them from monopolizing certain segments of business?

Hmmmm... I know it's not good when you don't support local merchants, but about 90% of all my Christmas purchases were through Amazon this year. Time and the fact I detest malls and shopping center crowds were my reasons. My next door neighbor thrives on being out in the mix of holiday shoppers, but not me. 

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Hmmmm... I know it's not good when you don't support local merchants, but about 90% of all my Christmas purchases were through Amazon this year. Time and the fact I detest malls and shopping center crowds were my reasons. My next door neighbor thrives on being out in the mix of holiday shoppers, but not me. 

Yeah...I do almost all my shopping (except groceries) through Amazon.

My biggest fear is the expectations they are setting for consumers and how this is destroying other retailers. The whole free same day/2 days shipping is not sustainable but a company like Amazon can take the financial hit.  

On 12/19/2019 at 7:59 AM, bigeasy said:

My biggest fear is the expectations they are setting for consumers and how this is destroying other retailers. The whole free same day/2 days shipping is not sustainable but a company like Amazon can take the financial hit.  

Especially if they have the fleet of trucks to deliver it themselves.  And...if they ever really get droid service "off the ground"...that could be a game changer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Especially if they have the fleet of trucks to deliver it themselves.  And...if they ever really get droid service "off the ground"...that could be a game changer.

These are not the droids you're looking for...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1