Ivanhoe Village / Loch Haven Park

spenser1058

• 1 month later...

It seems Harriett’s new building for the ballet is leading to a spate of new contributions include $500K from Dr. Phillips Charities. At this rate, they may even be able to pay the rent at DPCPA!

So get your tutus on and let’s all pirouette!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-ballet-new-building-donations-20200128-aqlv267kp5aophcukd3ugxdc7e-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

The OMA announced the resignation today of executive director Glen Gentele.

It appears that, as expected, the proposed relocation of the museum to Lake Nona met with resistance from a significant number of board members and that served as a catalyst for his departure after eight years.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-museum-art-glen-gentele-20200217-o34l4ltsnve25az6aawrmwp4za-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It appears that, as expected, the proposed relocation of the museum to Lake Nona met with resistance from a significant number of board members and that served as a catalyst for his departure after eight years.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-museum-art-glen-gentele-20200217-o34l4ltsnve25az6aawrmwp4za-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Good.  Downtown or nothing.

• Like 2

As Brendan notes in his take on the resignation, Lake Nona was floated when it was found the most suitable sites downtown were gone.

So, OMA is not going to Nona nor is it likely to go downtown (at least, the bulk of the museum - I suppose a satellite might work, but that’s not happening anytime soon).

Loch Haven Park has the space, both rail and Lymmo options are available if funding is found and it can cluster with other arts organizations. 

We’ll probably have to wait and see what the new director has in mind before anything will change. The board seems to like the status quo.

At the moment, I think Loch Haven makes the most sense. With the ballet coming, I think it’s time to more aggressively brand it as a unique Arts Park for Central Florida.

https://bungalower.com/2020/02/17/glen-gentele-steps-down-as-director-of-orlando-museum-of-art/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

They should stay where they are. I'd love to see some sort of natural history museum or something to add into the grassy area next to it and as part of that add in a great restaurant. Some of my favorite memories as a kid were going to the Carnegie Museums and eating there then going to the next museum and we have the clustering there to allow something like that to happen.

• Like 1

I agree, if another cultural institution were ever to take up residence alongside the other Loch Haven tenants, a well done cafe would be essential.

Too bad the owner of the Sentinel site doesn’t want to pair with OMA to redevelop that property. That’s the one CBD site that could accommodate a relocated museum and really do something fabulous.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

From the Sentinel 

The relocation wasn't the impetus behind his resignation.  

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 2

A fuller story has now been made public of Glen Gentele’s departure from OMA:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-museum-art-director-resigns-reasons-board-20200223-uigpfgrujvfi5ez2dbjrkqegjm-story.html

From Matt Palm and the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

Why are our arts leaders such assholes?

Also boohoo at the trustees who had the info to remove him and either didn't read it or left the meeting before the vote then complain about him after that. You had your job and you didn't care enough to do it. None of them should ever be put back on the board, they are poor stewards.

And holy hell this is a name  I would make up for a developer and its somehow real.

real-estate developer T. Picton Warlow IV

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the internet, interesting local  men’s stores are becoming almost impossible to find anymore (although the ‘net can also come to the rescue - one of my favorite haberdasheries is The Rogue in , of all places, Jackson, MS; it’s a bit of a drive but online ordering keeps my preppy self in things like all cotton Hawaiian shirts with button down collars).

Anyway, what looks to be an interesting men’s accessories store is coming to Ivanhoe Village. Maybe there’s hope yet.

https://bungalower.com/2020/03/04/boutique-shop-specializing-in-good-goods-opening-in-ivanhoe-village/

From the Bungalower 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, codypet said:

With the Backhaus moving to Mt. Dora just before Covid started, MESA 21 being closed, it looks like Sette is the latest business to close down.  I noticed a for lease sign posted in front of Sette's parking lot.  The Former Nora's/Brian's restaurant.

Sette is “just without a home,” whatever that means. I’d be more inclined to say they’re not coming back but who knows. I really enjoyed their food. 

There’s been a lot of renovation going on at Mesa21, anyone know what’s going in that location? 

• 3 weeks later...

Empty lots near historic Cheney power plant has broken ground for use as  OUC power station.

Long rumored as a possible expansion of LHPS or a mixed-use apt/retail project, this prime urban spot will instead be taken up by utility use, maintaining a blank space in the neighborhood.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-ouc-dirt-mountain-lake-highland-20200526-mirhpec4i5ctbihiaee2752taa-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

I’m not convinced yet that’s the highest and best use for the building, but it works for me if they can’t find another purpose for it.

Since it’s the power company, what an appropriate spot for the neon museum Morse refuses to do? I know I’m just dreaming but hope springs eternal.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m not convinced yet that’s the highest and best use for the building, but it works for me if they can’t find another purpose for it.

Since it’s the power company, what an appropriate spot for the neon museum Morse refuses to do? I know I’m just dreaming but hope springs eternal.

Part of me doesn't think its big enough for those signs.

7 minutes ago, codypet said:

Part of me doesn't think its big enough for those signs.

It would need to be heavily curated, of course, and I’m thinking some spillover into the nearby park space for special displays. It would be indeed limited, but that beats no access at all, which is what we currently have.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...