Ivanhoe Village / Loch Haven Park

spenser1058

Waiting for the wave of new residents to arrive:

Ivanhoe Village apartments promised ‘huge wave’ of people. But then COVID-19 and a construction glut hit.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/os-bz-ivanhoe-village-apartments-vacancies-20210113-krsm2byzbnf2tlfemn3vhjtgu4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

On 1/13/2021 at 12:03 PM, spenser1058 said:

Waiting for the wave of new residents to arrive:

Ivanhoe Village apartments promised ‘huge wave’ of people. But then COVID-19 and a construction glut hit.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/os-bz-ivanhoe-village-apartments-vacancies-20210113-krsm2byzbnf2tlfemn3vhjtgu4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

I walked by The Yard last night and saw plenty of new residents in the units which had just opened a few weeks ago. Seems like there's just surprisingly low demand for $3.5k/month 2-bedroom apartments. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://bungalower.com/2021/03/22/gnarly-barley-moving-from-belle-isle-to-ivanhoe-village/?fbclid=IwAR2D1uweL-ykIn1LuyvpgTGqAHF2NShbUUoiag-KnOrtzlMYCMG20rGhoXc

Gnarly Barley is moving into the cursed building at the corner of Orange and Virginia, most recently occupied by Sette. I think they have a decent shot of making it work longer term but we will see. 

The good news is that GBs bottleshop will remain so even if the other doesn’t work then GBs will still be there. Hopefully they can make their outdoor dining (drinking) area permanent but I’m not sure what all that’d take once the COVID waivers go away. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sethM said:

https://bungalower.com/2021/03/22/gnarly-barley-moving-from-belle-isle-to-ivanhoe-village/?fbclid=IwAR2D1uweL-ykIn1LuyvpgTGqAHF2NShbUUoiag-KnOrtzlMYCMG20rGhoXc

Gnarly Barley is moving into the cursed building at the corner of Orange and Virginia, most recently occupied by Sette. I think they have a decent shot of making it work longer term but we will see. 

The good news is that GBs bottleshop will remain so even if the other doesn’t work then GBs will still be there. Hopefully they can make their outdoor dining (drinking) area permanent but I’m not sure what all that’d take once the COVID waivers go away. 

Glad to hear the bottle shop will remain, though I'm a bit surprised that is the plan.

34 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Glad to hear the bottle shop will remain, though I'm a bit surprised that is the plan.

I was surprised too. However I’m glad given that the spot on the corner is a risky plan. The bottle shop is an absolute success in terms of what they wanted to do with the space, better to not miss with something that works. 

4 hours ago, sethM said:

The only other place to make that corner work was Nora's.  She just got the boot by the landlord.  I think GB's will do fine there, though my coworker thinks either the bottle shop will suffer or the demographics will be different.  We both assume the Yard's garage will be where all the parking has to come from for that location.  Any news about the old Harmon photo?  How long has that been sitting vacant?  At least a year and a half right?

Funny enough I saw the roll up door on the side of the old Harmon Photo location open the other day. Other than that I haven’t seen or heard anything. I have no idea what could go into that location and be successful, the layout of the building and parking lot is such an awkward use of space. At some point I expect that it’ll get knocked down and something bigger will be built there. 

EDIT: On my way by the old Harmon Photo building this afternoon I noticed that there's new "For Lease" signs on it, looks like a different leasing company and it mentions it being a spot for a bar/restaurant with a roof patio. 

Edited by sethM
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It sounds as two of the oldest buildings on the Lake Highland Prep campus, which I think go back to the Orlando Junior College days, are about to be replaced.

If they’re the ones I think, they weren’t bad for classroom buildings (a lot of brick in the exterior), but they represented a much more workaday educational facility than what the upscale LHPS has constructed lately:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/04/29/lake-highland-prep-plans-new-building.html?ana=maz

From OBJ 

Pinery looks about ready to open, and looks fantastic! Be very interested to see how they do with that location and them vs Russell's.

I hope the city/county/whatever entity figures out what to do at that turn there where Greek Corner is. One person making a left from Orange will just completely shut down Orange. They need a light or something, especially if they ever fill up Lake House.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Pinery looks about ready to open, and looks fantastic! Be very interested to see how they do with that location and them vs Russell's.

I hope the city/county/whatever entity figures out what to do at that turn there where Greek Corner is. One person making a left from Orange will just completely shut down Orange. They need a light or something, especially if they ever fill up Lake House.

A roundabout would do well at that location with the added benefit of slowing down traffic on Orange.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

A roundabout would do well at that location with the added benefit of slowing down traffic on Orange.

There is street parking in that intersection so I'm not sure how that would work with a roundabout, but I'd love to see one there regardless.

Edited by elefants

14 hours ago, elefants said:

In fact, that entire area needs an overhaul.  The sidewalk on the East side of Orange could stand to be widened and extended North past The Lucky Lure.  There also needs to be bike lanes connecting that area to the AdventHealth station so those apartments aren't so reliant on cars.   The neighborhood has a ton of potential that is being bottlenecked by bad infrastructure.

Agree. With all the construction and new stuff in that area its become quite dense and the infrastructure around it needs to keep pace. I'd probably remove all the street parking on Orange first and add another lane/bike lane to start and also expand the sidewalks and everything. It gets real sketchy fast right after Lucky Lure so something for bikes/peds would be great.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I thought for sure that corner would be redone by the time Lake House was finished but I guess I’m wrong. The entire corner is a complete cluster. 

I agree 100% with everyone else that the city really needs to redo that entire stretch of Orange from Virginia down to New Hampshire. There’s such a mishmash of cars doing 15 mph looking for parking, pedestrians/bikers, and other cars doing 50. 

18 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

18 hours ago, elefants said:

In fact, that entire area needs an overhaul.  The sidewalk on the East side of Orange could stand to be widened and extended North past The Lucky Lure.  There also needs to be bike lanes connecting that area to the AdventHealth station so those apartments aren't so reliant on cars.   The neighborhood has a ton of potential that is being bottlenecked by bad infrastructure.

Huh.  Small roundabout might actually solve some of those problems.  You would have to eliminate the onstreet parking on the east there, but you could then put the crosswalk on all the approaches which is sorely needed there.  You slow everyone to the point that passthrough traffic will likely either jump on I-4 or Mills.  With the new crosswalks, you don't necessarily need the sidewalk on the east to continue all the way north.  The R/W is tight there and you jump back to the east side at New Hampshire.  The drawback is the light at Virginia would probably back up and ruin the function of the roundabout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Huh.  Small roundabout might actually solve some of those problems.  You would have to eliminate the onstreet parking on the east there, but you could then put the crosswalk on all the approaches which is sorely needed there.  You slow everyone to the point that passthrough traffic will likely either jump on I-4 or Mills.  With the new crosswalks, you don't necessarily need the sidewalk on the east to continue all the way north.  The R/W is tight there and you jump back to the east side at New Hampshire.  The drawback is the light at Virginia would probably back up and ruin the function of the roundabout.

Guess we’ll just have to add a roundabout at Virginia as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sethM said:

I’m not sure how well semi’s would be able to get around a roundabout while going down Orange. 

Trucks navigate roundabouts all the time. Theirs a brick apron for the trailer to hover over (and occasionally) mount as the truck navigates the roundabout 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Trucks navigate roundabouts all the time. Theirs a brick apron for the trailer to hover over (and occasionally) mount as the truck navigates the roundabout

This is true. In fact, one of the roundabouts FDOT likes to highlight is heavily used by semitrucks daily: 

• Like 2

But look how big that is lol. There are obviously roundabouts that are semi-friendly but there’s no way that fits in that intersection without moving it South 40’ and cutting well into the parking lot area for Russell’s and the boat ramp. 

1 hour ago, sethM said:

But look how big that is lol. There are obviously roundabouts that are semi-friendly but there’s no way that fits in that intersection without moving it South 40’ and cutting well into the parking lot area for Russell’s and the boat ramp. 

It isn't just the size that makes it semi friendly. It's mostly the truck apron in the center. The size just increases the speed people can go through it. A larger roundabout has slighter turns and higher speeds. On a very tight roundabout, the truck would go through the center lane with the trailer mounting the truck apron.

Also, while it wouldn't need this much space, most roundabout implementations do require more space that a typical intersection, which is one reason why they don't tend to be used in constrained ROWs, like downtown areas.