Ivanhoe Village / Loch Haven Park

spenser1058

2 minutes ago, codypet said:

Lynx manages to get around the ones on Delaney and those are wayyyy tighter so I imagine a slightly larger one should be fine for trucks.  Whoever engineers the thing will have to run AutoTurn anyway and determine the viability of it.

Given there’s a major interstate and a US highway a couple of blocks away on either side of Orange Ave. along that stretch, I’m not sure how many semis other than local deliveries need to traverse that route.

They rerouted trucks on 17-92 for years because of the low railroad overpass by Don Reid (Peacock) Ford without much consternation, so it seems like the thing to do in light of the growing congestion.

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Given there’s a major interstate and a US highway a couple of blocks away on either side of Orange Ave. along that stretch, I’m not sure how many semis other than local deliveries need to traverse that route.

They rerouted trucks on 17-92 for years because of the low railroad overpass by Don Reid (Peacock) Ford without much consternation, so it seems like the thing to do in light of the growing congestion.

Yea Its the local deliveries I'm specifically thinking about.  Whether its deliveries to the Yard or Greek Corner itself or beverages to the various bars in the area.   Those Sysco trucks and Beer trucks still need a decent amount of runabout space.

3 minutes ago, codypet said:

Yea Its the local deliveries I'm specifically thinking about.  Whether its deliveries to the Yard or Greek Corner itself or beverages to the various bars in the area.   Those Sysco trucks and Beer trucks still need a decent amount of runabout space.

Heck, the beer semis manage to squeeze on the grid streets along Central and Summerlin to take care of the 7-Eleven, Publix and WoB, so I think they should be ok. Everyone likes to grumble about it but ain’t many willing to give up their cases of Fat Tire.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The former Harmon Photo to feature a rooftop bar and restaurant?

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2021/05/10/ivanhoe-villages-newest-restaurant-will-come-with-a-rooftop-bar?media=AMP+HTML

From Orlando Weekly 

Fantastic reuse of the existing building.  Those views over Lake Ivanhoe will be spectacular.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Local LGBTQ+ gathering place Savoy takes a different approach to commemorate Pride.  think it works well:

Colorful Buddhas painted by Orlando artist adorn the walls of Savoy during Pride Month
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-buddha-art-savoy-orlando-fritz-stinebaugh-20210619-qqtzlyvhzfaivjc2uoha6s7hwu-story.html

From The Sentinel

I’ve thought for some time the community was ready to move on beyond PH and this is just a small step in that direction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the leafiest parks in town that is sadly under used is our Arts Park, Loch Haven.

It’s unique in a city like Orlando to have something like this (and the decision to put DPCPA downtown instead of this verdant setting is no longer the slam dunk some thought it would be), but now the folks at 4 Rivers give you a great place to pick up lunch before heading out under the trees.

4 Roots is at the Orlando Science Center and you can enter the park side of the building without admission to OSC (although it’s always interesting-right now, you can learn all about the secrets we learn from poo). 

The folks at the Orlando Fringe figured out years ago how great Loch Haven is. Stop by soon!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5726-4roots-cafe

From Scott J

On 8/5/2021 at 5:03 PM, spenser1058 said:

One of the leafiest parks in town that is sadly under used is our Arts Park, Loch Haven.

It’s unique in a city like Orlando to have something like this (and the decision to put DPCPA downtown instead of this verdant setting is no longer the slam dunk some thought it would be), but now the folks at 4 Rivers give you a great place to pick up lunch before heading out under the trees.

4 Roots is at the Orlando Science Center and you can enter the park side of the building without admission to OSC (although it’s always interesting-right now, you can learn all about the secrets we learn from poo). 

The folks at the Orlando Fringe figured out years ago how great Loch Haven is. Stop by soon!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5726-4roots-cafe

From Scott J

Nice! Ivanhoe Village is my favorite area of Orlando. I feel it has a similar potential to the neighborhood West Midtown in Atlanta. A lot of room to increase density and further develop its art, design and creative community.

Loch Haven park is beautiful and a great asset for the community but I believe its missing the street activity to really draw people in. I just wish there was an opportunity for more density and mixed use development immediately surrounding the park. Mixed use buildings lining Princeton St. between Orange and Mills would create more pedestrian activity and bring more notoriety to the park, but this is merely a dream. A much needed major high-intensity redevelopment of the Princeton and Orange intersection that infuses more residents in the area could boost park visitors too.

4Roots is an amazing concept. Love to see the community investment from businesses. Gotta stop by soon!

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 10:26 PM, Urbo said:

Nice! Ivanhoe Village is my favorite area of Orlando. I feel it has a similar potential to the neighborhood West Midtown in Atlanta. A lot of room to increase density and further develop its art, design and creative community.

Loch Haven park is beautiful and a great asset for the community but I believe its missing the street activity to really draw people in. I just wish there was an opportunity for more density and mixed use development immediately surrounding the park. Mixed use buildings lining Princeton St. between Orange and Mills would create more pedestrian activity and bring more notoriety to the park, but this is merely a dream. A much needed major high-intensity redevelopment of the Princeton and Orange intersection that infuses more residents in the area could boost park visitors too.

4Roots is an amazing concept. Love to see the community investment from businesses. Gotta stop by soon!

As luck would have it, I took Toddler Codypet to the science center on Sat for the free weekend and we ate there.  It's pretty dang good.  No complaints from the peanut gallery about her ham and cheese sandwhich and orange.  I had the braised pork bowl and it was very good.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More empty chairs in the local arts- Orlando Ballet’s Artistic Director Robert Hill is stepping down.  

He was one of the most innovative and  successful (ticket sales doubled on his watch) the troupe has seen for years. He will definitely be missed.

Artistic director Robert Hill leaves Orlando Ballet
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-ballet-robert-hill-resigns-20210813-c6hdcsu4qfajjh34lm7vyibo3m-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As @smileguypointed out recently on another thread, there are lots of changes afoot at OMA since the arrival of Director Aaron DeGroft.

Matt Palm at the Sentinel takes a look at what’s happening. I’m still not convinced an organization can change their culture in such a short period (especially one as moribund as this one has been for so long), but this is definitely a step in the right direction. 

Here’s hoping @smileguy’s optimism is correct and my skepticism is old news. I’ll gladly eat my beret if the changes take root:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-prem-et-orlando-museum-of-art-revamp-20210923-yl4k2e5m3zaybfncj7ggzpbvl4-story.html

• Like 1

Someone recently mentioned on another thread about the status of the Holocaust Center’s  move to the former Chamber of Commerce building near Lake Ivanhoe.

Here you go:

Shelley Lauten to temporarily lead Holocaust Center
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-holocaust-center-interim-leader-20210927-57dgnc3envfahade6f7obljgd4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

It appears this may take some time.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Strolling through Ivanhoe Village and saw this architectural gem. I just don't understand how one could let a building like this sit underutilized. Hope to see adaptive reuse take play here in the near future.

I must say, I haven't found a better urban neighborhood in the city than Ivanhoe Village/Lake Highland (just my opinion). Has all the ingredients of a great urban lifestyle (mixed use, walkable, access to transit, many jobs nearby, boutique shops and dining, trails/parks, access to healthcare and high quality education, etc.) I hope the neighborhood can reach its urban potential with even denser and taller projects than the Yard and Lake House (in a reasonable timeframe!). The area is just ripe for high quality urban development and I could see this having a mini "Miami Design District" type transformation (minus the high fashion brands).

2040786513_543BrookhavenDrive.thumb.png.c9c9dd8be63230feab1b514c24224b6f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urbo said:

Strolling through Ivanhoe Village and saw this architectural gem. I just don't understand how one could let a building like this sit underutilized. Hope to see adaptive reuse take play here in the near future.

I must say, I haven't found a better urban neighborhood in the city than Ivanhoe Village/Lake Highland (just my opinion). Has all the ingredients of a great urban lifestyle (mixed use, walkable, access to transit, many jobs nearby, boutique shops and dining, trails/parks, access to healthcare and high quality education, etc.) I hope the neighborhood can reach its urban potential with even denser and taller projects than the Yard and Lake House (in a reasonable timeframe!). The area is just ripe for high quality urban development and I could see this having a mini "Miami Design District" type transformation (minus the high fashion brands).

2040786513_543BrookhavenDrive.thumb.png.c9c9dd8be63230feab1b514c24224b6f.png

I took a shot at buying this in '04-05 when it transferred within family. They weren't selling. Someone on this site previously posted some info on the location that indicated the owners were holding it. I haven't heard any plans for it.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jack said:

As in one day or the site is under contract? 

I am fairly certain this of east of proposed apartments on Brookhaven. 

Honestly not sure. I thought last discussion on this someone mentioned the next Yard phase will take this down. I do know they have bought even more parcels along Virginia to keep building more apts so if not this phase it probably comes down eventually. Sucks because could be an amazing little condo/apt building.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:50 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

99% sure its being demoed for apartments.

I'm all for adaptive re-use and historic preservation, and believe that's the ideal plan for this site. But if we happen to one day see a well-designed mid/high rise mixed-use building that can bring more pedestrian and economic activity I wouldn't mind at all! The blocks between Virginia and Brookhaven are urban goldmines!