Ivanhoe Village / Loch Haven Park

spenser1058

On 10/29/2021 at 9:23 AM, prahaboheme said:

Virginia Ave would be a good candidate for curbless streetscape design.

This was recently done in St Cloud:

https://www.positivelyosceola.com/city-of-st-cloud-wins-state-award-for-downtown-revitalization-project/

That looks great but I worry about the lack of curbs with the amount of people doing 50 mph on that road while distracted. 

"The Current" aka the old OUC Lake Ivanhoe is now on the market. No listed price.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/r1Y06xS7gjFfg/

Per GS, BBD "has been reaching out to firms that specialize in adaptive reuse of historic properties, but they left the potential uses and price open-ended." "“There is no comp,” Rose said. “This is a one-of-kind opportunity. We do not have anything like this in the city. It’s nearly 60,000 square feet of history, on a lake, with I-4 visibility and next to one of the city’s largest employers.”

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-ouc-lake-ivanhoe-20211104-hvlpanuowfht3l5hl2olnigh4u-story.html

Pretty building. I hope it is preserved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The Current" aka the old OUC Lake Ivanhoe is now on the market. No listed price.
https://spark.adobe.com/page/r1Y06xS7gjFfg/
Per GS, BBD "has been reaching out to firms that specialize in adaptive reuse of historic properties, but they left the potential uses and price open-ended." "“There is no comp,” Rose said. “This is a one-of-kind opportunity. We do not have anything like this in the city. It’s nearly 60,000 square feet of history, on a lake, with I-4 visibility and next to one of the city’s largest employers.”
https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-ouc-lake-ivanhoe-20211104-hvlpanuowfht3l5hl2olnigh4u-story.html
Pretty building. I hope it is preserved.
Jamestown Properties from Atlanta/NYC would be the best developers for this project IMHO. The people in that org really get adaptive re-use. Might be too small fry for them, but you can't beat the location and the area context. Time Out Markets is a group out of Lisbon who could also turn it into something exciting for Orlando and its visitors.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jliv said:

Jamestown Properties from Atlanta/NYC would be the best developers for this project IMHO. The people in that org really get adaptive re-use. Might be too small fry for them, but you can't beat the location and the area context. Time Out Markets is a group out of Lisbon who could also turn it into something exciting for Orlando and its visitors.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Initially I thought this would be perfect for Orlando’s miniature version of Ponce city market but You’re probably right that it may not be on Jamestown’s radar (and of course 60k sq ft is no where near the size of the 2mil+ sq ft of Ponce city). Timeout market would be nice too but don’t see how Orlando would fit in their portfolio unless it was closer to Disney or on I-Drive. 

Nevertheless, it’s an opportunity for Orlando to develop a regional destination and make a statement with design. Think it would be cool to see an adaptive reuse play here with a modern addition similar to St. Ann’s warehouse in Brooklyn. Or maybe a mixed use residential/commercial building with condos/apartment on top similar to 178 Townsend St. project in San Francisco to take advantage of those views (just dream here). 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

There isn't an interesting use there that wouldn't require a parking garage on the end of the property on the current tiny parking lot.

There is basically no use w/o a garage. If this was centrally located near parking, someone could come up with a cool use. 

On 11/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, Urbo said:

Initially I thought this would be perfect for Orlando’s miniature version of Ponce city market but You’re probably right that it may not be on Jamestown’s radar (and of course 60k sq ft is no where near the size of the 2mil+ sq ft of Ponce city). Timeout market would be nice too but don’t see how Orlando would fit in their portfolio unless it was closer to Disney or on I-Drive. 

Nevertheless, it’s an opportunity for Orlando to develop a regional destination and make a statement with design. Think it would be cool to see an adaptive reuse play here with a modern addition similar to St. Ann’s warehouse in Brooklyn. Or maybe a mixed use residential/commercial building with condos/apartment on top similar to 178 Townsend St. project in San Francisco to take advantage of those views (just dream here). 

I really like the idea of a Timeout Market -/ those I’ve been to in Brooklyn and in Fenway (Boston) really added to those existing bustling areas nicely.  

Timeout would probably need the foot traffic around Lake Eola / South Eola area to truly thrive in the downtown area.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

With all the apartments being built, it would be an interesting moment to ponder a water taxi on Lake Ivanhoe. 

A stop on the lake’s north and south sides (and even the west if you could persuade the Grumpy Old Folks over there) would be an interesting addition to the area.

LOVE this idea

• Thanks 1

With all the apartments being built, it would be an interesting moment to ponder a water taxi on Lake Ivanhoe. 
A stop on the lake’s north and south sides (and even the west if you could persuade the Grumpy Old Folks over there) would be an interesting addition to the area.

I've always thought a Loch Haven water taxi would be awesome. Stops at AdventHealth & Adventist College, OMA, Mennello, Orlando Ballet, The Yard, and Leu Gardens.

Three road bridges and a pedestrian bridge to contend with but could really liven up that area and connect Ivanhoe to Loch Haven and Leu Gardens.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 10:39 AM, spenser1058 said:

Those of us who kayak and paddle on Ivanhoe would like a word with you.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

Those of us who kayak and paddle on Ivanhoe would like a word with you.

WDW has provided such service on Bay Lake, the Seven Seas Lagoon, and Lake Buena Vista for fifty years while still allowing guests in small craft on the same waterways.

On a much larger scale, the Intracoastal  Waterway also allows private and commercial activity.

That shouldn’t be an issue.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

Gnarly Barley is almost ready to hit the road from Belle Isle to its new digs in Ivanhoe Village. Soft opening is Dec 1.

It will be in the building once occupied by Brian’s Restaurant (Dan Quayle sat there!). Since then a variety of short-lived places have used the space but they were mostly too cool for school (not to mention the neighborhood- it will be interesting to see if the new residents of the towers in IV will have any disposable income after paying the exorbitant rents).

https://bungalower.com/2021/11/26/gnarly-barley-announces-soft-open-date-for-new-ivanhoe-village-location/

From Bungalower 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Gnarly Barley is almost ready to hit the road from Belle Isle to its new digs in Ivanhoe Village. Soft opening is Dec 1.

It will be in the building once occupied by Brian’s Restaurant (Dan Quayle sat there!). Since then a variety of short-lived places have used the space but they were mostly too cool for school (not to mention the neighborhood- it will be interesting to see if the new residents of the towers in IV will have any disposable income after paying the exorbitant rents).

https://bungalower.com/2021/11/26/gnarly-barley-announces-soft-open-date-for-new-ivanhoe-village-location/

From Bungalower 

I was  in there for Jingle Eve.  It very very bar like.  Obviously it wasn't ready yet now that I think about it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

First, let me say @smileguy was right and I was wrong. Director and CEO Aaron DeGroft is making very positive waves at OMA and I underestimated his ability.

That’s perhaps best shown by the fact the museum is prominently featured in The New York Times for its latest effort:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/16/arts/design/basquiat-painting-orlando-mumford-museum.html?referringSource=articleShare

It also shows OMA is doing just fine at Loch Haven, just as the Orlando Fringe, Orlando Shakes and Orlando Ballet are. Even OSC seems to have new enthusiasm.

Loch Haven is a unique gem for the city -let’s not break it.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

First, let me say @smileguy was right and I was wrong. Director and CEO Aaron DeGroft is making very positive waves at OMA and I underestimated his ability.

That’s perhaps best shown by the fact the museum is prominently featured in The New York Times for its latest effort:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/16/arts/design/basquiat-painting-orlando-mumford-museum.html?referringSource=articleShare

It also shows OMA is doing just fine at Loch Haven, just as the Orlando Fringe, Orlando Shakes and Orlando Ballet are. Even OSC seems to have new enthusiasm.

Loch Haven is a unique gem for the city -let’s not break it.

Interesting takeaway from him putting on an obvious forgery show. This is a huge embarrassment for OMA and he should be forced out over it.

• Thanks 1

This is going to get real bad.

Orlando Weekly received a tip in the weeks leading up to the opening of Heroes & Monsters that questions were being asked about the provenance of the pieces. Our tipster claimed that a gag order had been handed down to staff by museum higher-ups and that computers had been seized from the museum by the FBI.