Ivanhoe Village / Loch Haven Park

spenser1058

4 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Yeah, yikes...that was a mortifying read. 

I would've gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for that meddling 1994 FedEx font! Curses! (Somewhere in Bristol Robert Del Naja/Banksy is having a laugh right now)

Edited by jliv
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Interesting takeaway from him putting on an obvious forgery show. This is a huge embarrassment for OMA and he should be forced out over it.

I thought the Times article was pretty even handed and even leaned toward the work being authentic- all except for the FedEx type. They had lots of experts review it and say it was good, but only pointed to 1 expert that didn't think it was as structured as his other work. No duh- it looks like kids work. OTOH, the Orlando Weekly article did not point out all of the authentication points it had been through and would certainly leave their readers assuming it is open fraud. 

For now, I'm going to side with the experts who have concluded the work is authentic. I have no dog in the fight- so I'm willing to be wrong. When $100million is at stake, I feel confident we will get an answer.

• Like 1

This, not surprisingly, gives considerably more perspective than the OW article did... https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-prem-et-orlando-museum-art-basquiat-fakes-new-york-times-20220217-owgv5wskojaqfequajmd5iwa6m-story.html

I'll go with my original thought and side with the experts and, until further notice, assume the works are valid. I think the onus is on someone to prove that false, since every expert on record so far has validated them.

35 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

If nothing else this is ANY press on an international level for OMA.

I suspect the exhibition will become ever more popular as a result.

My thought, exactly. It will also be talked about, discussed and debated in places where OMA has never been mentioned.

10 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

My thought, exactly. It will also be talked about, discussed and debated in places where OMA has never been mentioned.

Any press is good press, as the saying goes. And sometimes that’s true. I’ve never heard of this artist, and wasn’t aware of the exhibit at OMA until now. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I thought the Times article was pretty even handed and even leaned toward the work being authentic- all except for the FedEx type. They had lots of experts review it and say it was good, but only pointed to 1 expert that didn't think it was as structured as his other work. No duh- it looks like kids work. OTOH, the Orlando Weekly article did not point out all of the authentication points it had been through and would certainly leave their readers assuming it is open fraud. 

For now, I'm going to side with the experts who have concluded the work is authentic. I have no dog in the fight- so I'm willing to be wrong. When $100million is at stake, I feel confident we will get an answer.

I'm not an art expert by any means but just based on pure logic this doesn't add up. If 1 piece is for sure a fake and the others all are claimed to be of the same provenance and made to appear to match it seems way more likely that its all fake than someone thought years ago to make 1 more piece for a collection no one was willing to authenticate in the first place. 

I'm going to change my original claim and now say I do have a dog in the fight. I am pulling for OMA to be vindicated and the works be declared (beyond all the experts currently declaring) that they are as stated. The reason is 2-fold, it will look mighty bad on OMA and the Orlando art community if they were swindled AND it will be very damming of the expert, authority and verification system and could cause problems going forward in valuing art works.

5 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I'm not an art expert by any means but just based on pure logic this doesn't add up. If 1 piece is for sure a fake and the others all are claimed to be of the same provenance and made to appear to match it seems way more likely that its all fake than someone thought years ago to make 1 more piece for a collection no one was willing to authenticate in the first place. 

Just for the sake of argument I'll say neither of your suppositions are true. It may stand to reason that if one is fake, then they all are, but it does not stand as fact. Also, I think it is still debatable that one piece is proven to be fake. The logo expert the NYT quoted said, "It appears to be set in the Univers 67 Bold Condensed". That little bit of wiggle room will be revisited upon him repeatedly if this goes to court. Also, that expert was talking specifically about the logo redesign he did in later years, whereas OMA says the logo is not on the carboard- just some printed instructions.

I still say the highest regarded experts have declared the works valid. There will be a long, long line of people with eggy faces if they are wrong.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 3:42 PM, AmIReal said:

The times article did a much better analysis on all the history and all the players. With what I am seeing on social media some of the reactions clearly show people, locally, only read the Orlando Weekly article. It has certainly been giving the museum press. Several articles I read have stated the museum's attendance has increased significantly (some claiming up to 500%).

I will also side with experts for now, since so many have been involved along the long process. Unfortunately, the is revealing the dark side of the art world with high risk deals, greed, money, conspiracy theories, attention, lawsuits, etc. This will be a long "game" that will no doubt make OMA a center of attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/21/2022 at 2:27 PM, spenser1058 said:

Maybe this will help... Ginsburg Family Foundation gives $40M to UCF, Nemours and Holocaust museum

Per OBJ, Nemour's will get $25M, UCF $5M and the museum $10M.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/02/25/foundation-gives-40m-to-help-diversity-equity-an.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=8#cxrecs_s

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Controversy or not, OMA attendance is up, membership is up, diversity is playing a larger role and board chair Carolyn Brumback (an FFO, of course) says plans are underway to renovate the museum’s Loch Haven building. Life is good:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-museum-basquiat-board-of-directors-20220327-apunahuebbdcrjmabi2kvq5doy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had not been to visit the Lake Ivanhoe Shores apartment complex in some time. Today, I remedied that and was struck by the improvements in landscaping and general maintenance of the place.

Even its down-at the-heels scruffy neighbor across the street on New Hampshire has seen some love. 

While the latter isn’t necessarily one I’d go to the mat for, I believe more than ever that losing the deco-era gem across from the lake would be a travesty. Of course, I’ve concluded Orlando could care less about its history and its trees in the Buddy era so I’m probably whistling by the graveyard, but one can hope.

Edited by spenser1058

On 3/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, spenser1058 said:

I had not been to visit the Lake Ivanhoe Shores apartment complex in some time. Today, I remedied that and was struck by the improvements in landscaping and general maintenance of the place.

Even its down-at the-heels scruffy neighbor across the street on New Hampshire has seen some love. 

While the latter isn’t necessarily one I’d go to the mat for, I believe more than ever that losing the deco-era gem across from the lake would be a travesty. Of course, I’ve concluded Orlando could care less about its history and its trees in the Buddy era so I’m probably whistling by the graveyard, but one can hope.

I’ve been able to visit these apartments quite often over the past few months (who on UP would ever think I get outside the Lake Nona bubble). I have respect for the charm and character of this complex but I would disagree that it would be a travesty if it went bye bye.  There is no doubt that there is a higher and better use for this land. As long as what would replace this property brings more value to the neighborhood and quality design to the public realm, I wouldn’t mind seeing more mixed use dense development in this neighborhood. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, codypet said:

I was honestly wondering.   Do those things have ac units?  I didn't see any the times I've been riding by.

They’d almost have to have room units assuming they never added central a/c. Of course, they used to build things more intelligently pre a/c and factored in things like cross-ventilation. My grandparents’ old block house in WG rarely needed it thanks to things like trees, window awnings and the fact the breeze could blow from one side of the house to the other.

We mostly lost that when the building industry lost its mind starting in the ‘70’s. Today, they’re mostly in league with Duke and FPL to make sure you waste as much energy as possible. Let’s hear it for McMansions!

This is a really great event (views of the skyline and park are pretty awesome, too:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/

From Scott J

If you haven’t visited the Science Center lately, they’ve done some awesome updates. By visiting during the “Science of Wine” event, you also help OSC stay on the cutting edge.

Edited by spenser1058

On 3/28/2022 at 7:17 PM, Urbo said:

I’ve been able to visit these apartments quite often over the past few months (who on UP would ever think I get outside the Lake Nona bubble). I have respect for the charm and character of this complex but I would disagree that it would be a travesty if it went bye bye.  There is no doubt that there is a higher and better use for this land. As long as what would replace this property brings more value to the neighborhood and quality design to the public realm, I wouldn’t mind seeing more mixed use dense development in this neighborhood. 

get out of here with all that land use logic and stuff. its not well tolerated by the older folks on this forum.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AmIReal said:

get out of here with all that land use logic and stuff. its not well tolerated by the older folks on this forum.

Yeah, the idea that some people place a higher value on history and unique or interesting architecture over the kind of bland, boring, modern concrete and glass shoebox garbage that gets built everywhere around here these days, is just hard to fathom.

As if packing a few hundred more transplants like sardines into these ugly cans isn't worth destroying our city's identity for. 

Some people.... <_< ;)