Ivanhoe Village / Loch Haven Park

spenser1058

25 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Board has to be completely replaced too. Just an incredible job by everyone to willfully ignore obvious fraud. Bet some of our fav local lawyers get a nice lawsuit going against OMA.

Ummm, how many paintings did OMA try to sell? Answer: zero.

Just now, popsiclebrandon said:

They sold how many tickets to an exhibit they knew or should have known was not real? I don't bet against lawyers when it comes to finding ways to make money.

Oh, that’s certainly possible- if my lawyer’s better than your lawyer, I may win even if not on the merits. Just selling admission, however, is not grounds for the suit. Otherwise, some of Oliver Stone’s questionable conclusions in his political pictures like JFK would have been sued on the same grounds. 

The FBI Art Crimes Team also had been working on this well before OMA ever got involved. They didn’t have proof to stop it and OMA had even less of a duty than they did.

I paid to see it and appreciated the exhibition knowing the doubts. That’s quite usual in the art world. Should OMA just stick to the Festival of Trees? That’s been a large part of its problem over the years - never willing to think outside the box. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Spence, you should see my collection of Jackson Pollock paintings!  Some have accused me of just hanging up the doodles I make while I'm in meetings, but in my heart they are Pollocks.  

I have no doubt they’d be more interesting than a museum whose major event each year is the Festival of Trees. Hank Strong - the next Warhol? Ever drawn a can of Campbell’s soup?

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I have no doubt they’d be more interesting than a museum whose major event each year is the Festival of Trees. Hank Strong - the next Warhol? Ever drawn a can of Campbell’s soup?

Just now, HankStrong said:
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I have no idea why it made a blank message and won't let me edit it, but:

No, but I've eaten a few cans in my life.  Thus I consider myself a bit of a foodie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I have no idea why it made a blank message and won't let me edit it, but:

No, but I've eaten a few cans in my life.  Thus I consider myself a bit of a foodie.

I just use Campbell’s French Onion and Golden Mushroom to make pot roast. I am a big fan of Pepperidge Farm, though, and they were owned by Campbell’s for several years (PF also had(s?) a big warehouse and/or factory in Lakeland - gotta support the locals until they go wanky with their politics…)

It turns out the Rollins Museum of Art (fka the Cornell) has had an authenticated Basquiat in its collection since 2007. Take that, OMA!

RMA has long been known as punching above its weight for a small museum. Winter Park’s collection of museums are an amazing thing.

OMA has stepped up to the plate twice now and whiffed the ball since longtime exec Marena  Grant Morrisey retired after a much too-long run of mediocrity at what should have been our prime arts facility. Just anecdotally, it seems like the OMA crowd seemed miffed the Mennello museum, new on the scene, seemed to pass its older sibling by.

I hope two swings and a miss don’t leave OMA thinking it should just rely on the annual Festival of Trees for its path forward.

At Rollins Museum of Art, an authentic Basquiat and so much more
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-rollins-museum-of-art-basquiat-20220713-fwsf4oxnz5gcxk32y54ayjn34i-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

A Worth Avenue gallery selling fakes:

rlando Museum of Art not alone in alleged Basquiat art fraud. South Florida gallerist indicted 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-fake-basquiats-west-palm-20220716-kckg4tk5qzhk5flcs4irvwvmdm-story.html

From The Sentinel

How can this be? Wealthy collectors (should we add most Palm Beach residents and visitors are from up north or international, not, ummmm, rubes like us in Orlando) who KNOW art. We know things like this only happen in Orlando, right? I’m shocked, shocked I tell you!

Or maybe, just like the angst over the Fireworks email, the folks in Orlando need to stop clutching their pearls and stop acting  like Mayberry for a change. 

Apparently, Hyatt still loves OMA. From the description of Orlando on the hotel chain’s website:

‘There's more to this “Theme Park Capital of the World” than just, well, theme parks. Art aficionados flock to the acclaimed Orlando Museum of Art while golfers play a 45-hole game at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. Wherever your central Florida journey takes you, everyone will enjoy skyline views with a walk along Lake Eola, which, as if it were meant to be, is surrounded by Hyatt hotels in Orlando.’

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/16/2022 at 2:13 PM, spenser1058 said:

A Worth Avenue gallery selling fakes:

rlando Museum of Art not alone in alleged Basquiat art fraud. South Florida gallerist indicted 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-fake-basquiats-west-palm-20220716-kckg4tk5qzhk5flcs4irvwvmdm-story.html

From The Sentinel

How can this be? Wealthy collectors (should we add most Palm Beach residents and visitors are from up north or international, not, ummmm, rubes like us in Orlando) who KNOW art. We know things like this only happen in Orlando, right? I’m shocked, shocked I tell you!

Or maybe, just like the angst over the Fireworks email, the folks in Orlando need to stop clutching their pearls and stop acting  like Mayberry for a change. 

Well, OMA is just playing the same game all the other bigger players are playing? Any publicity is good publicity it seems, and in the art world it's all about convincing. I think OMA will be fine after all of this.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 11:46 AM, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, Hyatt still loves OMA. From the description of Orlando on the hotel chain’s website:

‘There's more to this “Theme Park Capital of the World” than just, well, theme parks. Art aficionados flock to the acclaimed Orlando Museum of Art while golfers play a 45-hole game at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. Wherever your central Florida journey takes you, everyone will enjoy skyline views with a walk along Lake Eola, which, as if it were meant to be, is surrounded by Hyatt hotels in Orlando.’

How about we get a Hyatt Centric in Downtown than? Hyatt is one of my top hotel brands, but of course, they only have them over by the attractions and airport.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bqknight said:

How about we get a Hyatt Centric in Downtown than? Hyatt is one of my top hotel brands, but of course, they only have them over by the attractions and airport.

It is interesting that Hyatt originally became well-known for its downtown Portman-designed hotels but, from the beginning with Carolando in ‘72, hasn’t seen fit to come into town hereabouts.

They’ll get to that tower any day now!

https://www.hippostcard.com/listing/carolando-hotel-motor-inn-kissimmee-florida-postcard-1975-hyatt-orlando/16699952

Another fun fact: many folks know that rooms at the Contemporary Resort and the original section of the Polynesian Village at WDW were built at a modular plant then owned by US Steel on the edge of property.

What many don’t know is US Steel also built rooms used for the Carolando Hyatt and the Court of Flags off Kirkman.

The project was eventually abandoned as it really didn’t offer financial advantages over site-built construction, at least using the USS method.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

FDOT’s having a public meeting next Wednesday to discuss changes to N. Orange Ave (SR 527) from Magnolia to just north of Rollins St:

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/09/fdot-hosting-public-meeting-on-improvement-plans-for-north-orange-avenue/

From Bungalower 

Hopefully they’ll connect the sidewalk on the east side from Equilibre down to Lucky Lure with this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 10:11 AM, spenser1058 said:

FDOT’s having a public meeting next Wednesday to discuss changes to N. Orange Ave (SR 527) from Magnolia to just north of Rollins St:

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/09/fdot-hosting-public-meeting-on-improvement-plans-for-north-orange-avenue/

From Bungalower 

https://www.cflroads.com/project/445220-1

Here is a link to the plan, with an opportunity to respond to the lead in design from the FDOT.  They do not have a dedicated/protected bike lane, and have increased amount of parking, which I think does a disservice to the area as the urbanism increases. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What was among Orlando’s first segregation academies, Lake Highland Prep, keeps growing like a weed. They have taken over the old LASIK office on Highland and converted the old Baptist church on Mills as a second campus, in addition to using several of the empty lots near the OUC property for parking.

Now, it looks like they’re refurbishing and adding on to some of the original OJC buildings. Given the price of tuition, one wonders just how many wealthy folks we have in town these days. Nevertheless, the campus is looking good, so we’ll take it.

Hell, my art collection rivals OMA. 

I was walking my dog one day, saw an estate sale, walked in and the auctioneers had no clue what they were dealing with. The house was pure white with every inch of every wall covered in art from local (Moffet) and international artists. They were selling things for $5! The frames alone were at least over $100.  I walked out with a fortune of art. Add on top of that my collection of abstracts used as collateral to a famous NYC physiatrist and other personal possessions and I could set up my own exhibit.  

Edited by RedStar25
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

Hell, my art collection rivals OMA. 

I was walking my dog one day, saw an estate sale, walked in and the auctioneers had no clue what they were dealing with. The house was pure white with every inch of every wall covered in art from local (Moffet) and international artists. They were selling things for $5! The frames alone were at least over $100.  I walked out with a fortune of art. Add on top of that my collection of abstracts used as collateral to a famous NYC physiatrist and other personal possessions and I could set up my own exhibit.  

Winter Park’s newest: The Red Star Collection! I can see it now…

• Haha 1