New Members

• Name:Cricket (it's a nickname but it's the only thing I've ever been called)

• City of Residence: Starr, SC

• Occupation: Economic Information Researcher (Demographer/Cartographer), Appalachian COG

• College: Limestone College, B.S., University of Denver, MCIS

• High School: McDuffie High

• Born: Anderson, SC

• Hobbies: Photography (actually semi-professional - gotta say that since I make money at it); sports, Clemson sports, genealogy, did I mention sports?

• Other Cities I've lived in: Anderson, SC; Sugar Tit, SC

ManInThePark pulled me out of my lurkdom - thanks MITP! We met at Falls Park this a.m. (5/1)

• Name:Cricket (it's a nickname but it's the only thing I've ever been called)

• City of Residence: Starr, SC

• Occupation: Economic Information Researcher (Demographer/Cartographer), Appalachian COG

• College: Limestone College, B.S., University of Denver, MCIS

• High School: McDuffie High

• Born: Anderson, SC

• Hobbies: Photography (actually semi-professional - gotta say that since I make money at it); sports, Clemson sports, genealogy, did I mention sports?

• Other Cities I've lived in: Anderson, SC; Sugar Tit, SC

ManInThePark pulled me out of my lurkdom - thanks MITP! We met at Falls Park this a.m. (5/1)

Hi All,

I just joined UP, and I figured I'd start by introducing myself and my interest in this forum.

I'm a lifelong resident of Silver Spring, MD (suburb of DC), except for my 4 1/2 glorious years at Clemson from '88 - '92. While I was visiting my sister's family (they live in Devenger Place) in December, for the first time I began giving serious thought to the possibility of relocating to Greenville, mainly when my sister talked about real estate costs and when I watched my three year old son playing with his cousins. For the past four months my wife and I have been seriously considering this option. As I began my earnest quest to learn all I could about Greenville, I quickly found Urban Planet, and this forum has become an unparalleled resource for me. So let me offer a word of thanks to all.

During my years at Clemson I probably visited downtown Greenville four or five times; my sister's wedding and few concerts and basketball games at the old arena are all I can think of. And during fairly regular visits with my sister's family the past fifteen years, not once do I recall going into town. So I was surprisingly thrilled as I began to learn of Greenville's recent revitalization and growth. I had no idea! For years my wife and I have mulled the idea of living in DC, but we never fully embraced the idea of being in a city that large - at least in the parts that were somewhat affordable (we are now priced out of most anything within thirty miles of DC). Suddenly, Greenville was becoming a way to live in a city with ample cultural amenities that was still manageable and affordable.

Our interest reached the point that in April we spent a week with my sister, visiting the family but also taking frequent and intentional "scouting trips" downtown to get to know the city and investigate myriad "livability" issues. The bottom line is that we were swept off our feet, and I am now ramping up my search for a job in Greenville (I work in GIS), as we are 80 - 90% sure we would make this move if I found an attractive position.

So, I decided that I'd go ahead and join this forum formally, since I still have tons of questions and I'm sure I'll be coming back here frequently to get them answered. I think I have some things to contribute as well. Thanks again for being one of my main portals into getting to know Greenville, and I look forward to interacting with you.

By the way, I'd like to share my impressions from my visit, but I think this post is long enough already, and they probably would fit better elsewhere. Is there a topic along the lines of "a visitor's first impressions"? Perhaps it would make more sense to divide my thoughs along geographic and topical lines and post them in existing threads.

Our interest reached the point that in April we spent a week with my sister, visiting the family but also taking frequent and intentional "scouting trips" downtown to get to know the city and investigate myriad "livability" issues. The bottom line is that we were swept off our feet, and I am now ramping up my search for a job in Greenville (I work in GIS), as we are 80 - 90% sure we would make this move if I found an attractive position.

• 4 weeks later...

• Name: Jacob

• City of Residence: Easley, SC

• College: Tri-County Technical College. Clemson University in 1-2 years.

• High School: Eastside High School

• Born: Greenville, SC. I'm not a transplant. Yay.

• Hobbies: Sports, this forum, hanging out with friends, development, urban issues, Clemson, photography-need a new camera, etc.

• Other Cities I've lived in: None. Only lived in Greenville County and now Powdersville, which isn't even a city.

• Name: Jacob

• City of Residence: Easley, SC

• College: Tri-County Technical College. Clemson University in 1-2 years.

• High School: Eastside High School

• Born: Greenville, SC. I'm not a transplant. Yay.

• Hobbies: Sports, this forum, hanging out with friends, development, urban issues, Clemson, photography-need a new camera, etc.

• Other Cities I've lived in: None. Only lived in Greenville County and now Powdersville, which isn't even a city.

Hi Everybody - I've been lurking around the site sporadically since 2005 but have been checking in daily lately, so I thought it was time to introduce myself.

Name: Christine

City of Residence: Greenville, SC

Occupation: Marketing Coordinator for a real estate firm plus some freelance stuff on the side

College: Furman University (Communication Studies)

Born: Social Circle, GA

Hobbies: writing, graphic design, photography, finding out the gossip

I moved from GA to Greenville 10 years ago to go to Furman and swore I'd never stay here. The city has changed so much in that time and I am absolutely in love with it. It's been so exciting to watch it evolve.

Hi Everybody - I've been lurking around the site sporadically since 2005 but have been checking in daily lately, so I thought it was time to introduce myself.

Occupation: Marketing Coordinator for a real estate firm plus some freelance stuff on the side

I moved from GA to Greenville 10 years ago to go to Furman and swore I'd never stay here. The city has changed so much in that time and I am absolutely in love with it. It's been so exciting to watch it evolve.

Yes. I remember saying the same things about how i didnt like greenville when i was 18 or 19 years old. Im 25 now and in just that small amount of time it has changed tremendously. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact when your young it is easier for you to knock on your hometown when in reality it is a pretty good place to live. Perceptions change so much the older I get. I wonder how ill be when im 30?

Yes. I remember saying the same things about how i didnt like greenville when i was 18 or 19 years old. Im 25 now and in just that small amount of time it has changed tremendously. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact when your young it is easier for you to knock on your hometown when in reality it is a pretty good place to live. Perceptions change so much the older I get. I wonder how ill be when im 30?

I moved here in '94 by way of San Francisco, by way of New Zealand by way of Ireland. It was hard here in 94. I believe bleak would be an excellent descriptive. Dowtown was 2 blocks, from Dempseys across from the Hyatt down to Addy's and Hennie's at Piazza Bergamo. Anything south of Piazza Bergamo didn't stand a chance. There was nothing down there nevermind the Westend.

• Name:Ryan

• City of Residence: New York, NY

• College: Oswego State University (New York)

• High School: Sauquoit, NY

• Born: New Hartford, NY

• Hobbies: Yankees baseball, frisbee, tennis, poker, listening to and playing music, bars, reading

• Other Cities I've lived in: Sauquoit NY, Oswego NY, Wollongong NSW (Australia), New York NY

Hi folks! I just stumbled upon the board today and am glad that I did. I will be moving to Greenville at the end of August/beginning of July and billions of questions, mostly concerning renting in Greenville. Your city looks beautiful and am very excited about the move!

Now I'm off to the "Interested In Moving To Greenville" thread! :)

I just saw the "introductions" forum. So here goes...

I spend most of my time posting news about Anderson 'cause that's where I grew up. But I went to High School in Greenville and love the entire upstate. But I enjoy following the development news and this forum has been a better source of news than anything else I've seen.

Name: Stewart

City of Residence: Bangkok

College: Rhodes College, Princeton Theological, Fuller Theological (Los Angeles) and University of Malawi - graduate schools

High School: Christ Church, G'ville

Born: Atlanta

Hobbies: Sports, Urban Development, Web Development.

Other Cities I've lived in for more than a year: Anderson, Memphis, Princeton, Boston, Zomba (Malawi), Washington, DC, Arlington, VA, Alexandria, VA, and now Bangkok, Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

I read this forum daily so I thought I'd introduce myself as well.

• Name: Landon

• Schools: Riverside High, Clemson U

I've been in Greenville since '93 and have enjoyed seeing it change so quickly and for the better. I live in the West End right now, but am building a house in Sville. For those of you downtown a lot, I'm that tall guy always walking around with my little 36 lb tan and white dog, Sammy.

Hello, all--

This is Oconee Belle finally joining as gtrcommforum. That is the email name for the Greater Travelers Rest Community Forum, an informal community interest group which I convene realtime monthly at Leopard Forest Coffee Company in greater downtown Travelers Rest. The other alias is a nickname a local historian bestowed upon me, since I'm from that part of our landscape and now make my home in TR near a bunch of arrowheads.

I've been reading this and related forums for some time; I notice several folks who frequently post here and on similar sites. I look forward to talking with you.

Cordially,

Oconee Belle