Moving to Seattle or Chicago

Hello,

I'm a native Houstonian looking to move to either Seattle or Chicago (or any cool for that matter) with my fiancee. I've lived for a number of years in New York with my fiancee (who's a native NY'er) and we are ready for a change. We like the city, but it's too expensive and is way too crowded for me. We are seeking a city that's a little less hectic, but still cosmopolitan. I keep dreaming of a city that's one-third Austin and two-thirds New York.

We love walking, jogging, biking, and hiking. Most of all, we love to hate our cars. The more walkable the city the better. If there exists a great urban city where there's tons of shopping and lots of museums, but where we can still get a cheap taco and cerveza every once in a while - we're there.

Thanks for your help

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definately look at Seattle. I made the move from D.C. 6 years ago and it was the best move I ever made. It's the perfect place for you and your fiancee. It's laid back, yet cosmopolitan, with great shopping, culture and breathtaking natural beauty. It's also one of the safest big U.S. cities. Its very walkable, with a vibrant downtown. It's has so many great things. Of course I can't mention all of them. Here are some pics I took around town.

Walking or jogging around Green Lake

8095Medium.jpg

Hiking in Mount Rainier National Park

MountRainiertrip008.jpg

Tons of downtown shopping, walking, eating, culture and entertainment.

seattle104Small.jpg

DowntownSeattle175.jpg

10187Medium.jpg

Lots of great restaurants and outdoor cafes.

8157Medium.jpg

8162Medium.jpg

City beaches

Nice city beaches just minutes from downtown

Alki Beach on the Sound

11085Medium.jpg

Lake Washington beaches

Madison Park Beach

11131Medium.jpg

More Seattle pics.

11034Medium.jpg

11015Medium.jpg

10398Medium.jpg

Downtown apts & condos

10319Medium.jpg

9187Medium.jpg

DowntownSeattle060.jpg

DowntownSeattle059.jpg

Wow! Thanks. Those are some great images!!! I'm sold!

A few more questions - How does the Pacific Northwest compare to the East Coast in terms of attitude? Is it really hippy-dippy and pleasant or is there some grittiness? Also, is it racially and economically diverse? I keep hearing that it's mostly white, upper-middle class?

Thanks

A few more questions - How does the Pacific Northwest compare to the East Coast in terms of attitude? Is it really hippy-dippy and pleasant or is there some grittiness? Also, is it racially and economically diverse? I keep hearing that it's mostly white, upper-middle class?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seattle would be my choice. Having lived in Portland and spent a lot of time in Seattle and Vancouver, BC, I've found the people to be very down to earth. Not everyone is a "hippy". People are kind from my experiences and will help you out with socializing, directions, and may even help you paint your house :) East Coast is definately faster paced. People value time differently, perhaps because of the technology but my suspicion is that it's because of the plentiful nature you can run off to if things get hectic.

Peace from Will, DetroitBazaar

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In terms of attitude, you couldn't get any nicer than the people in this city. Everybody who visits me from the east coast alway comment on how nice and laid back the people are. Like DetroitBazaar said, not everyone is a hippy. Let's just say there's a little bit of everything here. Me being african american and coming from chocolate city D.C. I was very apprehensive to come at first. Here I have black friends, white friends, asian friends, and everything in between. It's great. My mother even sold her suburban D.C. home and came out to live. She loves it too. Now as far as grit, you will find some but not much. If you mean rows or acres of housing projects, then the answer is no.

Seattle housing choices.

seattle3133Small.jpg

seattle5093Small.jpg

10391Medium.jpg

10128Medium.jpg

10137Medium.jpg

10162Medium.jpg

10403Medium.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have been living in Chicago for the last ten years, I would say Seattle is the better of the two cities. In fact I am moving there in the next few months.

Chicago is a clean, safe city. But it has gotten very expensive. Also, the job situation in Chicago is pretty bleak. In addition, the winter is pretty insane. The people are pretty nice, not much outdoor stuff to do.

M

Thanks everyone! Seattle looks incredible. I guess the lack of response from Chicago must mean something. Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived