North Carolina, Dixie Dynamo

jednc

An article appeared in National Geographic in 1962. It paints a picture of NC as a "can-do", progressive state. Long before the transplants arrived telling us "how we do it where I'm from", NC was doing a pretty good job of making this state a great place to live and a place to be proud of. I, for one, am still proud.

We've lost some of this luster I think, but NC is still doing great things. Read about how that road was paved here.

Also, notice that Charlotte does not figure prominently in the article at all. I think it's mentioned once for it's Fairgrounds Race Track. Back in the '60s and before, the eastern part of NC was the star.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

NC as others imagine it:

The smell of flue cured tobacco drifted over the landscape as the mist covered the mountain peaks. Daddy said "grab your moon pies girls and git in the ol' pick up, it's race day" Momma wiped her flour covered hands on her apron and waved as we pulled down the dirt road, an extra jar hid in the back seat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

NC as others imagine it:

The smell of flue cured tobacco drifted over the landscape as the mist covered the mountain peaks. Daddy said "grab your moon pies girls and git in the ol' pick up, it's race day" Momma wiped her flour covered hands on her apron and waved as we pulled down the dirt road, an extra jar hid in the back seat.

Though I like to think we can still be both.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 2:05 PM, tarhoosier said:

NC as others imagine it:

This reads like a good piece of poetry.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...