Sign in to follow this  
jednc

North Carolina, Dixie Dynamo

An article appeared in National Geographic in 1962. It paints a picture of NC as a "can-do", progressive state. Long before the transplants arrived telling us "how we do it where I'm from", NC was doing a pretty good job of making this state a great place to live and a place to be proud of. I, for one, am still proud.

We've lost some of this luster I think, but NC is still doing great things. Read about how that road was paved here.

Also, notice that Charlotte does not figure prominently in the article at all. I think it's mentioned once for it's Fairgrounds Race Track. Back in the '60s and before, the eastern part of NC was the star.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I went to Carolina Cougar games at the Independence coliseum. Jumping Joe Caldwell and Billy"Pogo Kid"  Cunningham showed me how close to the ground was my game : (

• Haha 2

from Mark Vitner senior Wells Fargo economist speaking up at Raleigh Chamber event 

Mark Vitner, managing economist and senior economist at Wells Fargo, told the crowd he had “more good news than I could possibly fit in 12 minutes.”  “Raleigh is still at the top of nearly every list that has something good to say about the economy,” Vitner said, pointing to job growth and population numbers. “Raleigh recovered all the jobs that were lost in the recession by the end of 2012.”

Charlotte recovered its jobs in 2013, and the state followed in 2014, Vitner tells the crowd.  “But you take Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte out of those numbers, it took until 2017 for the rest of the state to recover,” he said.  In 2020, the Raleigh region will add 22,000 jobs, 18,000 jobs in 2021, he said. And a lot of it is coming from technology, where job growth has been in excess of 5 percent.  Vitner credited an “affordability migration” as one reason the population is growing.

• Like 4

NC as others imagine it:

The smell of flue cured tobacco drifted over the landscape as the mist covered the mountain peaks. Daddy said "grab your moon pies girls and git in the ol' pick up, it's race day" Momma wiped her flour covered hands on her apron and waved as we pulled down the dirt road, an extra jar hid in the back seat.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

NC as others imagine it:

The smell of flue cured tobacco drifted over the landscape as the mist covered the mountain peaks. Daddy said "grab your moon pies girls and git in the ol' pick up, it's race day" Momma wiped her flour covered hands on her apron and waved as we pulled down the dirt road, an extra jar hid in the back seat.

Though I like to think we can still be both.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 2:05 PM, tarhoosier said:

NC as others imagine it:

This reads like a good piece of poetry.

• Haha 3