VIVE on Eola | 12-Story Micro/Office/Retail [Proposed]

Jernigan

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Apparently, $1,200 per month is considered affordable rent these days.

I recall living a stone's throw from there and paying $200 - $350 per month.

The median income in Orlando is about 42K annually - I wouldn't say it's affordable either but $1,200 does fall into the doable category for people who follow the 30% housing rule. I have noticed that a lot of people tend to shack up with a significant other or roommates to offset costs, but I imagine it will be a lot harder to do so in a micro apt.

I'm sure something shiny and new back then would have been a little higher than $200-350/month range. Many of the homes in that area were a little rough around the edges around that time, right? Was there much of a demand to live downtown back then? If you factor in inflation, $350 in the 80s would be round $830 in today's dollars for existing construction vs new.

13 hours ago, bqknight said:

I think it’s smart actually. Would be first to market for Orlando and I’d imagine the demand would actually be there. 

South Eola seems to be the hot spot right now. But of course they continue to call it Thornton. 

Yeah but nobody was calling it South Eola when it was a dump filled with neglected duplexes - it was being called Thornton Park [by proximity] to cash in on the notoriety. Now that the tide has turned it's amusing to see some SE residents get their feathers ruffled over a technicality lol :rolleyes:. Outside of the historic districts, neighborhood boundaries/markers/wayfinding/placemaking were not what they are today. The city finally started erecting neighborhood placards a few years ago, but even some of the new signs are half-assed. Ah well... at least it's a start I guess.

32 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

The median income in Orlando is about 42K annually - I wouldn't say it's affordable either but $1,200 does fall into the doable category for people who follow the 30% housing rule. I have noticed that a lot of people tend to shack up with a significant other or roommates to offset costs, but I imagine it will be a lot harder to do so in a micro apt.

I'm sure something shiny and new back then would have been a little higher than $200-350/month range. Many of the homes in that area were a little rough around the edges around that time, right? Was there much of a demand to live downtown back then? If you factor in inflation, $350 in the 80s would be round $830 in today's dollars for existing construction vs new.

As I recall, around early '85 when I moved to Pine & Summerlin, rent for a 1 bedroom apt in a regular complex was probably around $400 - $450. A studio might have gone for $375-ish. I lived in an old, free-standing two-story building that was probably built in the early 1930's or possibly even earlier. It was originally built as an apartment building, so no conversion from single family had ever been done. Eight very small one bedroom units with kitchenette and bathroom with an old claw-foot tub. I started out paying $185 a month and when I moved about 8 years later, I think I was paying somewhere around $250 - $260. Possibly a bit more. Under $300.

In the early 90's I moved one block south to Church St in direct line with the place I moved out of. Top half of an up/down duplex. Looked like a two story single family, but again, it was originally built as a duplex. The owner bought it in 1977 for $27,000. Pretty good sized apartment with two bedrooms, one large and one very small, with a regular kitchen, small dining area/breakfast nook and decent sized living room. I started out paying $350 a month and when I moved out in '99, I was paying $360.

Both places had window/wall mounted a/c units.

As for the demand to live downtown, it wasn't near what it is today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1986, my studio at The Plaza (now Parkside) was $560. 

In 1988, I bought a duplex (a typical Murphy, if you’re familiar with those - there are dozens of them scattered all around the in-town ‘hoods) for $86K. 

I lived in half and rented out the other (a 2/1) for about $475. It was on Glenwood a block west of Bumby and just south of Washington St.

To show how things have changed, when I bought it, I immediately called the Sears in Fashion Square to replace the carpet, the drapes and the appliances, not to mention all the paint and stuff. It never occurred to think of anywhere else.

Now, Sears is all but gone.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

As soon as I moved into the little place on Pine St, I went to Sears at FS and bought a 13" color TV. 

No remote. Got cable installed for $19.99 per month and had one of those slider boxes with the really long cord.

After I bought it, I had to drive over across Colonial to that long, white warehouse looking building on Lakewood to pick it up,

Screenshot-172.png

Screenshot-174.png

This one.

Wood grain plastic case and all.

6 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding exactly where this is and I shouldn't

Where what is?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding exactly where this is and I shouldn't

I went looking this morning. It appears to be the southeast corner of Eola and Church.

There’s a single-story office there now which used to be the Weight Watchers HQ for Central Florida. They used to have Weight Watchers meetings there at night when South Eola was the cruising district and  these Baptist ladies with big hair would see the gay boys cruising around in their cars. Talk about culture shock...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In 1986, my studio at The Plaza (now Parkside) was $560. 

In 1988, I bought a duplex (a typical Murphy, if you’re familiar with those - there are dozens of them scattered all around the in-town ‘hoods) for $86K. 

I lived in half and rented out the other (a 2/1) for about $475. It was on Glenwood a block west of Bumby and just south of Washington St.

To show how things have changed, when I bought it, I immediately called the Sears in Fashion Square to replace the carpet, the drapes and the appliances, not to mention all the paint and stuff. It never occurred to think of anywhere else.

Now, Sears is all but gone.

Interesting. Inflation calculator shows $560 would be the equivalent of $1,314.20 in today's dollars... you guys are responsible for driving up the rent since the 80's ;)

My first home was a duplex... great way to offset living expenses. Do you regret selling?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Interesting. Inflation calculator shows $560 would be the equivalent of $1,314.20 in today's dollars... you guys are responsible for driving up the rent since the 80's ;)

My first home was a duplex... great way to offset living expenses. Do you regret selling?

I really did not want to sell  - my goal was to keep it and even if I moved later rent both sides out. I broke up with my second ex, though, and it made sense at the time. It was not one of my better decisions.

As to The Plaza, I knew from Day One I was paying too much but I had no other expenses. I kept that keenly in mind when I bought the duplex- I was paying less than half the mortgage so I actually dropped $200/month two years later. Things were good ‘til life intruded.

Edited by spenser1058

7 hours ago, codypet said:

image.thumb.png.f08367dc321f6548d96f245354a1f1fb.png

I think I found it!  I bike by there on my way home all the time.

I wonder if that building on the left is foreshadowing the future of the duplex.

When I lived there, that lot had a white frame house on it.

It has gone downhill since I fixed it up after moving in. I also insisted nothing could be in the carport but vehicles and that lean-to on the right is seriously PWT. 

I also put in a flawless St. Augustine lawn (which of course now is a major environmental faux pas).

I don’t know if this is true of post-boomers but guys my age existed as kids primarily to serve as our parents’ lawn slaves. It had an influence and I still abhor a tacky lawn. At the time I bought a John Deere push mower - those who found out the cost (especially my dad) compared to a. Craftsman mower had palpitations but I was committed to the cause!

Edited by spenser1058