Bay Tower (Under Construction)

vdogg

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_0a001278-8c8a-11e9-af8f-03f1a666239b.html

So it looks like Westminster Canterbury is trying to expand, likely with another high-rise condo, but man are they doing these people dirty. I’m actually hoping that this doesn’t go through, they need to treat people right. 

• 4 months later...

On 6/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, vdogg said:

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_0a001278-8c8a-11e9-af8f-03f1a666239b.html

So it looks like Westminster Canterbury is trying to expand, likely with another high-rise condo, but man are they doing these people dirty. I’m actually hoping that this doesn’t go through, they need to treat people right. 

They’ve filed a preliminary site plan for the pier parking lot as “Westminster Canterbury Expansion” and these condos are in between. The article stated they owned at least 26 of the units but they have at least one more now looking at the property records. 

• 2 months later...

Westminster-Canterbury plans to add a two new properties near the original building. The first is a 22-story building with parking deck, going on the former Lynnhaven Pier property. The second is a seven-story "Memory Center", going across the street.

Naturally, neighbors aren't happy. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-nw-westminster-canterbury-0111-20200110-66alx6eku5dplbqf3lks3bi67y-story.html

JMMW6OX5Y5D7DE3IPDOKL5P7JI.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BFG said:

Westminster-Canterbury plans to add a two new properties near the original building. The first is a 22-story building with parking deck, going on the former Lynnhaven Pier property. The second is a seven-story "Memory Center", going across the street.

Naturally, neighbors aren't happy. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-nw-westminster-canterbury-0111-20200110-66alx6eku5dplbqf3lks3bi67y-story.html

JMMW6OX5Y5D7DE3IPDOKL5P7JI.jpg

That’s a very nice looking building. Is it far enough from the base to not have it’s height chopped down?

• vdogg pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, vdogg said:

This is the kind of stuff I expected to see going in on the whole site where HQ use to sit across from the Town Center core. It would have been fantastic for the city to have that area be an urban residential district expanding the city center footprint.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At 250 ft, this will indeed be the tallest building on the oceanfront.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Documents/PC/2020/03 March/20200311-PLN-CUR-04-Westminster Canterbury.pdf

”Shadow Impact: The proposed 22-story tower will be approximately 250’ tall. In conformance with Section 904(d) of the Zoning Ordinance, there is no maximum height limit for the district, except that no building or structure may exceed the height limit established by Section 202(b) regarding air navigation. The submitted elevations show buildings differing considerably from the existing structures in terms of their vertical orientation and architectural style. In response to potential issues related to shadows cast by the new buildings, particularly the 22-story tower, WCCB’s architects have submitted a comprehensive shadow study (see synopsis on page 14 of this report). Based on the study, the greatest impact will be to adjacent properties to the east during the afternoon hours in the months of February and October. During the summer months, the impact will be considerably less.
FAA Determination: The FAA has conducted an aeronautical study and determined that the proposed 22-story independent living building will not exceed obstruction standards and will not be a hazard to air navigation.”

BE0A483B-C425-404B-BD7D-0C08E9DDE2EA.jpeg

85A4F882-2E67-4995-A520-8D0B53199B03.jpeg

01566B93-F819-4178-B707-CA739EA4DF71.jpeg

These Nimbys man...<_< I'll be watching the planning commission meeting today to see how much actual opposition there is. They better not chop this down. I swear the media purposely sought out everyone who was against it.

https://www.13newsnow.com/mobile/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/westminster-canterbury-plans-to-build-22-floor-beach-side-resort-on-shore-drive/291-722417fc-2f15-4619-9aab-9346cbd8e17b

These Nimbys man...<_< I'll be watching the planning commission meeting today to see how much actual opposition there is. They better not chop this down. I swear the media purposely sought out everyone who was against it.

https://www.13newsnow.com/mobile/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/westminster-canterbury-plans-to-build-22-floor-beach-side-resort-on-shore-drive/291-722417fc-2f15-4619-9aab-9346cbd8e17b

"Westminster-Canterbury leaders are facing pushback from some nearby neighbors. The Shore Drive Community Coalition is opposed to the expansion as it is now. They are concerned about the increased height and density. They and many others said there was not enough dialogue."

"Leidig lives beside the development and she worries about the size of the building, noise, traffic, and her beach access. 

She said, “I won’t be able to go to the beach as easy as I have been able to for the last 20, 30 years.”"

By the time I found a live stream on Facebook they'd already moved on to planning item number five. Westminster was planning item number four. It's only been 15 minutes, so I assume that there were few if any speakers there. We'll see how everything goes when it comes before city council.

I say this about the development at the Strip, and I said it when they almost closed Oceana. 

How many of these people lived in their neighborhoods before these projects took off? Shore Drive started building taller in the 70s or 80s, same for Atlantic Ave., give or take. Oceana’s been around since the 40s. Most of these people moved to that side of town in the last decade or two. Sit down. 

• Like 1

-Westminster has a 500 person waiting list! They say the building is the size and height it is because it literally can’t be any smaller.

-Have support of fire department, traffic engineers, and all surrounding businesses plus some of the communities. Not all communities in opposition (strange how the media didn’t interview them...)

-1 of only 2 CCRCs in Va. Beach. Other one has no ability to expand in their current location.

-Planning Department recommends approval.

-They have 33 speakers, good lord...

This is just painful... Railing on about it being a 22-story building, sand dunes, changing character of neighborhood (Westminster was there first), just basically throwing anything against the wall to see what sticks. Don’t know how much more of this I can stand. About to throw the phone.  :lol:

This next speaker wants to lower the tower and widen the base. They basically want a fat building.  :lol: