Hampton Roads Arena

vdogg

Guys, it's happening! It's actually happening! I thought I'd die an old man before they agreed to take a regional approach.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-norfolk-regional-arena-20200111-myd3rhglxzagph3siyyc4k2sry-story.html

"Called the Hampton Roads Regional Arena Authority and appointed by the governor, the proposed body would have the ability to issue debt to fund construction, retain state taxes generated by the facility to repay the cost of building and pass along additional revenue to whichever localities throw in on the project. This mirrored authorization given to Virginia Beach’s pursuit of an arena a few years back.

The regional body would also determine the location of the arena, which the bill says would need to be at least 15,000 seats and be able to host sporting events, conferences and concerts or other entertainment. Any Hampton Roads locality could participate."

"“We have to explore every opportunity we have that will bring wealth to the region, especially if it might involve Virginia Beach and Norfolk," Virginia Beach Mayor Bobby Dyer said.

Norfolk Mayor Kenny Alexander made the same point that arena boosters said about the Beach’s failed project: The region is missing out on major entertainment events that just don’t have anywhere big enough in Virginia to perform."

• Like 4

• vdogg pinned this topic

Just these 2 cities agreeing to work together takes this arena from improbable to likely. If the region agrees on an arena, we may even get a regional sports team out of this. This is the one thing that was holding us back in that regard and to see actual, verified, progress on this front is astonishing.

This is great to see. I think both cities' councils  are much more diverse than in years past, and therefore realize that working together is imperative. If they use hotel taxes to fund this, that's a huge boost, given how many rooms you have at the Strip alone.

I think this happens in the next few years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

I just read this on Facebook and immediately came here... I'm not holding my breath

The regional authority will be created by the Governor. The bill was submitted by a local republican delegate and seems to have the support of the HR delegation. The authority WILL be created. Who chooses to join the authority is the question, but if Va. Beach and Norfolk are on board, that’s really all we need. Just think of the state as the parent who sits down two warring siblings and makes them go outside and play together. :lol:

5 hours ago, BFG said:

If nobody butts in with a personal agenda and whine like they did with the outlet mall or light rail, it has a chance. Unfortunately, all it takes is one loudmouth to ruin everything. 

Hopefully they don’t study this to death. 

You nailed that on the head....all it takes is one from vabeach to complain about it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Norva757 said:

You nailed that on the head....all it takes is one from vabeach to complain about it

Well John Atkinson finally retired. As long as John Moss is okay with it, this might go through, esp. with a regional board.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BFG said:

"Paging Bruce Thompson and Pharrell Williams...repeat, paging Bruce Thompson and Pharrell Williams..."

Nah, I want someone with actual, verified, arena experience to build this. We've got one shot at this, we have to do it right.

This is great news, now Hampton Roads needs to continue this into an actual regional authority that deals with the metro as a whole so that an actual international airport can be built and light rail be expanded throughout the metro with identified urban development districts around each stop. I know, I know, I will probably die an old man before that happens, but at least it is nice to see the region I grew up with working together on something.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Almost there! :)

https://www.wavy.com/news/top-stories/va-house-passes-hampton-roads-regional-arena-bill/

RICHMOND, Va. (WAVY) — The Virginia House of Delegates has passed legislation that could bring an arena to Hampton Roads through a regional authority. The House voted 59-38 on Monday to pass Virginia Beach Delegate Jason Miyares’ HB 1102, which would create the Hampton Roads Regional Arena Authority. It calls for the construction of an arena in either Norfolk, Chesapeake or Virginia Beach, with a minimum of 15,000 seats.

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

Man, if VA Beach ends up getting this arena after all the previous mess there, it will be a slap in the face to Norfolk. I'm still really hoping this could be in downtown Norfolk.

This is for the region (southside in particular). If the three cities come together and agree on a location, who cares if it’s in Virginia Beach? It will benefit all.

I think we should tear down those cheap hotels near the light rail terminus on Newtown Road and build an arena there, easy access to all cities. Right on the VB Norfolk line and close to Chesapeake. It’ll also give a push to actually extend light rail to Town Center.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BFG said:

Looks like RVA’s arena project at Navy Hill is dead. This could apparently affect how much funding the state contributes towards the arena here. 

We’ve got an opportunity here, and I think due to the tangible successes with regionalism we’ve had over the past few years, that we’ll see this one to the finish line. I feel really good about this one. Everyone in VB and Norfolk seems to be on the same page, which is stunning. We need to take advantage of this.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vdogg said:

This is for the region (southside in particular). If the three cities come together and agree on a location, who cares if it’s in Virginia Beach? It will benefit all.

I think we should tear down those cheap hotels near the light rail terminus on Newtown Road and build an arena there, easy access to all cities. Right on the VB Norfolk line and close to Chesapeake. It’ll also give a push to actually extend light rail to Town Center.

Because VA Beach already squandered their opportunity. Because VA Beach wouldn't help the region by extending light rail. Because VA Beach is very myopic. Because VA Beach tried to prevent the outlet mall and it's not even in their borders. Norfolk deserves first shot at this thing in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Because VA Beach already squandered their opportunity. Because VA Beach wouldn't help the region by extending light rail. Because VA Beach is very myopic. Because VA Beach tried to prevent the outlet mall and it's not even in their borders. Norfolk deserves first shot at this thing in my opinion.

We'll never progress with that attitude. Odds are, the arena will be in Norfolk anyway. The most important thing is that the cities seem willing to bury the hatchet and move forward for the common good. The citizens need to be able to do the same if we're going to make this work.

• Like 1