Hampton Roads Arena

vdogg

I hope that the 3 groups with arena development and mgt experience bring their A-game here and put the question to bed, once and for all:  Military Circle is the only site for a new arena in Norfolk.  

Notice also that when asked to present plans to redevelop Military Circle—with no specific direction from the City as to inclusion of a new arena—the 3 of them descended like hungry locusts upon the City to (likely) propose just that at Military Circle.  This should speak volumes about where, exactly, is the best location for a new arena in Norfolk.  For meanwhile, to our knowledge,  they have all remained silent over the decades as to doing the same in downtown. 

The experts have spoken.  Will Norfolk listen?

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, mintscraft56 said:

This is great! We really need a new arena. But iv heard there is no interest for Hampton Roads in NBA apparently its not money generating or something we "need" both are lies in my eyes. 

I think interest is there, given our history with the ABA Squires. The problem is the NBA is not allowing a team to play in an outdated 50-year-old venue. When teams were relocating in the early-2000s (the original Charlotte Hornets, the Vancouver Grizzlies), Norfolk threw its hat in the ring, but a team would've had to wait two or three years for a new arena. If I'm not mistaken, the Hornets were ready to call Norfolk their new home, but New Orleans had an arena ready to go. The rest is history. 

Part of me wonders whether Pharrell's arena plan includes a potential team. When Something in the Water took off in 2019, Gayle King interviewed him and he told her that his organization talked to the NCAA...I wonder if they talked to the (W)NBA as well? The NBA wants to expand...VA should at least put something together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BFG said:

I think interest is there, given our history with the ABA Squires. The problem is the NBA is not allowing a team to play in an outdated 50-year-old venue. When teams were relocating in the early-2000s (the original Charlotte Hornets, the Vancouver Grizzlies), Norfolk threw its hat in the ring, but a team would've had to wait two or three years for a new arena. If I'm not mistaken, the Hornets were ready to call Norfolk their new home, but New Orleans had an arena ready to go. The rest is history. 

Part of me wonders whether Pharrell's arena plan includes a potential team. When Something in the Water took off in 2019, Gayle King interviewed him and he told her that his organization talked to the NCAA...I wonder if they talked to the (W)NBA as well? The NBA wants to expand...VA should at least put something together.

Another thig is that the NBA them selves dont want to expand much yet.   Also they think our cities have nothing to offer according to this news article that was very recent. image.thumb.png.590bbf613942113509b7af22d1edbd13.png

It might not be on their immediate radar, but an article came out at the beginning of the year that mentioned the NBA is considering expansion to recoup its losses from the pandemic. 

If the area were to get a team, the league might actually consider The Ted as a temporary home - even if it’s undersized - similarly to how the Chargers played in a 25K-seat MLS venue while they built a new stadium. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think Hampton Roads has to give up the arena dream. I think Hampton Roads has to give up the major league tenant in an arena dream.

Therefore, any energy in building an arena should focus on what it offers the people in Hampton Roads rather than suiting it to the whims of a pro league/owner.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Another thig is that the NBA them selves dont want to expand much yet.   Also they think our cities have nothing to offer according to this news article that was very recent. image.thumb.png.590bbf613942113509b7af22d1edbd13.png

I believe that you were quoting  this opinion piece on some random site.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportstalkflorida.com/nba/norfolk-virginia-is-looking-to-redevelop-a-mall-and-replace-it-possibly-with-an-arena/amp/

Taken out of context, I think what  the writer meant by that was we don’t have an arena. We also have little major corporate presence/cash.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, carolinaboy said:

I don't think Hampton Roads has to give up the arena dream. I think Hampton Roads has to give up the major league tenant in an arena dream.

Therefore, any energy in building an arena should focus on what it offers the people in Hampton Roads rather than suiting it to the whims of a pro league/owner.

True. Build a sized area with no team in it. Use it for regional events but if a professional team catches their eye on it then let them in.  

True. Build a sized area with no team in it. Use it for regional events but if a professional team catches their eye on it then let them in.  

It’s not that simple though. The problem is that taxpayers do not want their city going into debt for an arena that might sit idle most of the time because there isn’t some pro sports team waiting to move into it. Therefore city councils will often balk at such an idea. However, pro teams often do not want to commit to move to another city based on a “check’s in the mail” promise to build a new stadium. So it’s a very delicate balance.
  • Like 2

At this point, Hampton Roads misses out on large concerts and the NCAA tournament because the arenas we have are too small and/or old.

As far as NBA or NHL, there is no “if you build it they will come” guarantee, but it’s better to have something to offer if/when the league(s) ever expand or relocate. This area missed out in the late-90s for that reason. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mountain_Junior said:

It’s not that simple though. The problem is that taxpayers do not want their city going into debt for an arena that might sit idle most of the time because there isn’t some pro sports team waiting to move into it. Therefore city councils will often balk at such an idea. However, pro teams often do not want to commit to move to another city based on a “check’s in the mail” promise to build a new stadium. So it’s a very delicate balance.

It is a risk to build an arena without a tenant. But, the US is littered with arenas that do not have a pro/minor league/NCAA tenant. They are built for concerts, circus, large state tournaments, NCAA tournaments, conventions, trade shows, rodeos......

Fort Worth, Baltimore, Biloxi, Little Rock, Tulsa, Kansas City, Oakland, Greensboro, Wichita, Birmingham.....

I think it would be a great asset to all of Hampton Roads if a new arena were to be built. Which city can do it? My bet is that Norfolk can. We just don't know if they will (or if they'll partner on one in some fashion)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mountain_Junior said:

That may be true but us being a big metropolitan area we most definitely have more things to use the arena for than just sports stuff take scope for example. Sports and Broadway shows/local events. The area would definitely not just sit idle. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, carolinaboy said:

It is a risk to build an arena without a tenant. But, the US is littered with arenas that do not have a pro/minor league/NCAA tenant. They are built for concerts, circus, large state tournaments, NCAA tournaments, conventions, trade shows, rodeos......

Fort Worth, Baltimore, Biloxi, Little Rock, Tulsa, Kansas City, Oakland, Greensboro, Wichita, Birmingham.....

I think it would be a great asset to all of Hampton Roads if a new arena were to be built. Which city can do it? My bet is that Norfolk can. We just don't know if they will (or if they'll partner on one in some fashion)

You name these cities with big arenas... but are they really worth it for those cities? Would they be worth it at today's prices?

For instance, Little Rock built their arena in the late 90s for $80 million. Nowadays, they MIGHT be able to build the same thing for $180 million. They attracted some minor league sports and a few one-off major acts. But those same minor league teams would have been feasible with an arena half the size and none of them stuck around. The one-offs are a mixed bag. But is that price tag worth attracting 2-3 major acts per year?

Greensboro is similar. IMO, when it's time to renovate Greensboro Coliseum, they should build a new, smaller one closer to downtown instead. Greensboro currently attracts the ACC Tournament every few years and the NCAA Tournament every 3-4 years. 

Without a major sports team, Norfolk would be STUPID to build a large arena. Replace Scope with a 10-12k seat arena in a location more accessible to the region and don't waste $100+ million extra on feeding ego which is all building a major arena would do... and maybe bring in an occasional major act.

7 hours ago, HRVT said:

You name these cities with big arenas... but are they really worth it for those cities? Would they be worth it at today's prices?

For instance, Little Rock built their arena in the late 90s for $80 million. Nowadays, they MIGHT be able to build the same thing for $180 million. They attracted some minor league sports and a few one-off major acts. But those same minor league teams would have been feasible with an arena half the size and none of them stuck around. The one-offs are a mixed bag. But is that price tag worth attracting 2-3 major acts per year?

Greensboro is similar. IMO, when it's time to renovate Greensboro Coliseum, they should build a new, smaller one closer to downtown instead. Greensboro currently attracts the ACC Tournament every few years and the NCAA Tournament every 3-4 years. 

Without a major sports team, Norfolk would be STUPID to build a large arena. Replace Scope with a 10-12k seat arena in a location more accessible to the region and don't waste $100+ million extra on feeding ego which is all building a major arena would do... and maybe bring in an occasional major act.

Military Circle is supremely accessible to the region’s population centers. There is no more accessible of a piece of land out there than MC. 

Edited by baobabs727

4 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Military Circle is supremely accessible to the region’s population centers. There is no more accessible of a piece of land out there than MC. 

I know. That's what I was saying. Replace Scope in an area more accessible (that being MC as opposed to downtown). 

Don't fall for the trap of building a major arena. Build a 10k seat arena at a much more reasonable cost. 

• Like 1