Apple Store Fact

BBascule

I had read somewhere that now that Apple is switching over to Intel chips, it might allow Apple to get out of the expensive and time consuming OS development market and just focus on hardware. Do Mac fans believe this to be true?

- Garris

not owning or ever really using a mac, but knowing a thing or 2 about where they make their money... they should get out of the hardware business and focus on OS development. if i could run OSX on any PC (which technically i should be able to), i would actually buy it. currently i get a copy of XP Pro through the college's license. apple has also stifled their open source stuff since switching to intel so that they can protect their OS from being run on non-apple approved hardware. basically, an intel mac is a PC running OSX. you can install windows XP on it if you chose to, at least that's what i've been led to believe.

a strong majority of their profit comes from the ipod, not the mac.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had read somewhere that now that Apple is switching over to Intel chips, it might allow Apple to get out of the expensive and time consuming OS development market and just focus on hardware. Do Mac fans believe this to be true?

Highly unlikely, in fact they seem to be doing the opposite. They aren't making it easy to run other OSs on the Mactels, and I believe have language about doing so voiding the warranty on the machine. There were rumours of them releasing a PC version of OSX, and rumours that Dell specifically asked them to do so, but they haven't acted on that as far as anyone can tell.

Although, I believe some people do run Linux on PPC Macs.

Highly unlikely, in fact they seem to be doing the opposite. They aren't making it easy to run other OSs on the Mactels, and I believe have language about doing so voiding the warranty on the machine. There were rumours of them releasing a PC version of OSX, and rumours that Dell specifically asked them to do so, but they haven't acted on that as far as anyone can tell.

Although, I believe some people do run Linux on PPC Macs.

they actually put the warning in the form of a cute poem

you can install linux on just about anything, i'd even bet you can install it on the new intel macs. linux definitely runs on the PPC macs though. there's a whole sub-group of linux zealots who prefer to run it on PPC.

i really do wish they'd just quit the hardware business and open up OSX to the rest of the world. they really don't make a whole ton of money on their computer sales when compared to the ipod.

thought apple already switched over to the intel chip?!?!! or am I crazy. I know apple did something with intel

they're in the process of switching all their hardware over to intel. currently, there's an intel imac, powerbook, and mac mini.

• 2 weeks later...

I use to work at Bailey Banks and Biddle and take it from me this store was beautiful. It was 5000 square feet and my company wanted to close down to be more exclusive like Tiffany's (stupid I know) The Apple store was announced in September to be taking over and I actually meant some of there head people there as well. You guys will be getting a great store enjoy it!

I use to work at Bailey Banks and Biddle and take it from me this store was beautiful. It was 5000 square feet and my company wanted to close down to be more exclusive like Tiffany's (stupid I know) The Apple store was announced in September to be taking over and I actually meant some of there head people there as well. You guys will be getting a great store enjoy it!

Wait, there's 5000sq. feet of space where the Providence Apple Store is going?

Wait, there's 5000sq. feet of space where the Providence Apple Store is going?

that store seemed a lot smaller than 5000 sq feet. i was in it shortly before it closed. maybe it was actually longer than i thought (i only went back as far as engagement rings).

unless 5000 also includes back room space as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic here, but any Safari 2.0.3 users having trouble with this forum? Every once in a while, it just shuts down on me, usually when navigating up via the breadcrumbs.

Slightly OT response: Yes, the site occasionally crashes the browser- I'm using Safari 2.0

It seems to crash most often when loading threads.

Slightly OT response: Yes, the site occasionally crashes the browser- I'm using Safari 2.0

It seems to crash most often when loading threads.

Yes, I thought I was crazy. We were discussing this in the mod forum, I'll let everyone know it's not just me. Has it happened recently?

Slightly off topic here, but any Safari 2.0.3 users having trouble with this forum? Every once in a while, it just shuts down on me, usually when navigating up via the breadcrumbs.

This seems to be a common complaint about the Safari browser across the interwebs, not just here. Somesort of javascript error that is only effecting Safari. We're probably going to have to wait for Safari to be updated to get rid of this problem, not do anything to the forum to eliminate it. I've been using the Camino browser on my Mac for sometime. It's the Mac native version of Firefox. Personally, though I swear by Firefox when using a PC, I hate it on a Mac.

Looks like you guys with Intel Macs can run XP on it as well now that Apple is going to officially support the option.

Apple Bootcamp

This is huge. I wonder if all those folks who donated the $13,000 for the hacked up dual-boot are a little miffed after hearing this news.

I'm still intrigued by the rumors of virtualization in Leopard that would allow simultaneous Vista/OSX instances. Now that'd be some big news.

Looks like you guys with Intel Macs can run XP on it as well now that Apple is going to officially support the option.

Apple Bootcamp

Two days ago, my 12in G4 powerbook could do everything a brand-spanking-new MacBookPro could do for me and thus, I felt no need for a new laptop. Overnight, that changed. Right now, I use my powerbook for everything except two specialized statistical packages that are windows only (SAS and AMOS). Thanks to bootcamp, buying a MacBookPro would allow me to finally ditch the Dell taking up the corner of my dining room.

I completely stopped using linux when Apple gave me a unix OS that could run photoshop, endnote and word. Now, they've freed me from the need for more than one machine, and in doing so found a way to get me to upgrade my perfectly functional powerbook. :) Although realistically, I'll probably wait until June for the rumored 13in intel based iBook since I like the smaller form factor.

As I expect I'm not the only one, so yeah, bootcamp is a huge deal.

Two days ago, my 12in G4 powerbook could do everything a brand-spanking-new MacBookPro could do for me and thus, I felt no need for a new laptop. Overnight, that changed. Right now, I use my powerbook for everything except two specialized statistical packages that are windows only (SAS and AMOS). Thanks to bootcamp, buying a MacBookPro would allow me to finally ditch the Dell taking up the corner of my dining room.

I completely stopped using linux when Apple gave me a unix OS that could run photoshop, endnote and word. Now, they've freed me from the need for more than one machine, and in doing so found a way to get me to upgrade my perfectly functional powerbook. :) Although realistically, I'll probably wait until June for the rumored 13in intel based iBook since I like the smaller form factor.

As I expect I'm not the only one, so yeah, bootcamp is a huge deal.

I too am waiting for an intel based iBook. Wouldn't that be nice if the iBook announcement coincided with the grand opening of the Providence Apple Store?? :D

I too am waiting for an intel based iBook. Wouldn't that be nice if the iBook announcement coincided with the grand opening of the Providence Apple Store?? :D

i'm waiting for a robust apple laptop that costs no more than $1500 that i can get similar specs as a $1500 PC laptop. i'm not holding my breath though... :P

i'm waiting for a robust apple laptop that costs no more than $1500 that i can get similar specs as a $1500 PC laptop. i'm not holding my breath though... :P

Oh please. Don't start in with the 'Apple charges too much' garbage - that argument is so 1996.

It was true in the past. But it's just not true today, particularly when you are talking about quality laptops with comparable features. Greymarket crap from Twaiwan is another story.

Oh please. Don't start in with the 'Apple charges too much' garbage - that argument is so 1996.

It was true in the past. But it's just not true today, particularly when you are talking about quality laptops with comparable features. Greymarket crap from Twaiwan is another story.

how is it not true?

HP nx9420, has a widescreen display, 1.83 Ghz Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM on 1 DIMM, 100 GB 5400 RPM HDD... $1749

Apple Macbook Pro 1.83 Ghz, configured the same way comes to $2299. there's a $550 difference in price.

and don't tell me that the HP is a piece of junk from taiwan. it's their business line, which is actually quite robust. they both have the same features (yes, the HP has integrated wireless and bluetooth and a 10/100/1000 NIC). the HP also has biometric security. the only difference is that the HP is slightly bigger and slighly heavier.

i don't buy the opinion that the apple is worth the inflated price. they might've been with PPC, but not with intel.

how is it not true?

HP nx9420, has a widescreen display, 1.83 Ghz Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM on 1 DIMM, 100 GB 5400 RPM HDD... $1749

Apple Macbook Pro 1.83 Ghz, configured the same way comes to $2299. there's a $550 difference in price.

and don't tell me that the HP is a piece of junk from taiwan. it's their business line, which is actually quite robust. they both have the same features (yes, the HP has integrated wireless and bluetooth and a 10/100/1000 NIC). the HP also has biometric security. the only difference is that the HP is slightly bigger and slighly heavier.

i don't buy the opinion that the apple is worth the inflated price. they might've been with PPC, but not with intel.

Quality of components is one factor. And yes, smaller form factor and the engineering required costs more as well. Also there's the added value of a unix based robust operating system that comes bundled with an excellent array of software (iLife for example). HP's idea of 'value added' is loads of crapware and free AOL trials. Couple that with it now being the only laptop capable of dual booting OSX and Windows and for many it becomes an incredible deal.

/Disclaimer: I use Linux and Windows as my main OSes.

Archived