Triangle Parks and Greenways

orulz

Bull City Rising mentions that the design for the bridge over I-40 has been released on Durham's website (along with a color rendering.) This one's supposed to be done in 2010.

In an earlier post, they also show the proposed pedestrian bridge over NC147. I actually like that one much better....but since it has fewer lanes to cross, I guess they're better able to concentrate on aesthetics.

• 8 months later...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenways update.

Joe Miller reports on his blog that the House Creek Greenway is on target to start construction this April. This will take almost 2 years to complete because of the tunnels under Lake Boone and Glen Eden.

He also mentions that the entire Neuse greenway will be complete by 2014, including extensions of the Crabtree and Walnut Creek greenways that will connect them together.

Also, I've noticed that the Rocky Branch Greenway through NCSU is almost complete, and the next phase of the Centennial Campus Greenway, along the north shore of Lake Raleigh perhaps as far as Trailwood Drive, is under construction. This would link the Centennial Campus trails to Lake Johnson.

It looks like The American Tobacco Trail now is open and complete, except for the short segment with the bridge over I-40. That's supposed to start construction in June 2010 and be finished by June 2011.

Greenways update.

(snip)

Also, I've noticed that the Rocky Branch Greenway through NCSU is almost complete, and the next phase of the Centennial Campus Greenway, along the north shore of Lake Raleigh perhaps as far as Trailwood Drive, is under construction. This would link the Centennial Campus trails to Lake Johnson.

Where will the Centennial Campus trail cross Gorman to link up with the Lake Johnson trails? I assume at a grade crossing, right? That will be pretty dangerous, given the relatively high speeds folks drive on Gorman, but I guess a tunnel under the road would be prohibitively expensive...

Where will the Centennial Campus trail cross Gorman to link up with the Lake Johnson trails? I assume at a grade crossing, right? That will be pretty dangerous, given the relatively high speeds folks drive on Gorman, but I guess a tunnel under the road would be prohibitively expensive...

The trail from Lake Johnson already crosses Gorman (ending at Trailwood), and yes, it is at a crosswalk with no signal. Visibility is good at the very least, but it does suck to cross it.

From what I've seen that particular stretch of Gorman usually isn't very busy (for a four lane road) so at some point they could probably put in a signal. Or then again, if they're putting in new tunnels under Lake Boone and Glen Eden on the House Creek Greenway, I suppose it's not out of the question that they could eventually do the same here, though there are other improvements in the system I'd prioritize first. But as far as I'm aware, this is the worst street crossing in the entire Raleigh greenway system.

The trail from Lake Johnson already crosses Gorman (ending at Trailwood), and yes, it is at a crosswalk with no signal. Visibility is good at the very least, but it does suck to cross it.

From what I've seen that particular stretch of Gorman usually isn't very busy (for a four lane road) so at some point they could probably put in a signal. Or then again, if they're putting in new tunnels under Lake Boone and Glen Eden on the House Creek Greenway, I suppose it's not out of the question that they could eventually do the same here, though there are other improvements in the system I'd prioritize first. But as far as I'm aware, this is the worst street crossing in the entire Raleigh greenway system.

SO I've never ridden on that greenway...so when this link is done, there will be a paved trail from Centennial Parkway/Mission Valley area all the way down to Lake Johnson? Sounds like a really cool bike ride...

SO I've never ridden on that greenway...so when this link is done, there will be a paved trail from Centennial Parkway/Mission Valley area all the way down to Lake Johnson? Sounds like a really cool bike ride...

When the Centennial Campus Greenway and the is finished there will be a greenway all the way from Lake Johnson to the Neuse River.

How so? via the Walnut Creek Greenway?

How sketchy is that Greenway once it leaves the Farmers Market area and cuts through S. Saunders area, etc. across SE Raleigh? Would it be reasonably safe during daylight hours?

Honestly there's at least one part that's always seemed sketchy to me. Between Fayetteville and S Wilmington streets, near Walnut Terrace, at times when I've gone by it has seemed strewn with litter and seems there have at times been a lot of homeless people or just others loitering. It kind of feels like an out-of-the-way place that people go to do things they can't do in plain sight.

I've not ventured further east on the greenway than Wilmington Street, and even that was four or five years ago.

There is a homeless camp next to the greenway under the South Saunders Bridge (and one near the Dix soccer fields too, on the greenway), so you are right that trash and such could be coming from there. I also have encountered wandering guys clearly on something and young guys who maybe had sold it to the f-d up guys. The below grade setup sort of lends itself to this.

• 2 weeks later...

A contract is going to be awarded for construction of the House Creek Greenway at tomorrow's council meeting. The cost is $3.8 million dollars. This is the only second project I can think of in which the city is building a new grade separation from an existing road specifically for a greenway. (The first is the bridge near the art museum.)

Most of the existing grade separations in town take advantage of existing bridges over creeks, involved retrofitting an existing culvert, or were built as a small part of a major road improvement project (like Rocky Branch tunnel under Dawson/Mcdowell.)

This is an exciting development. It means that the standard that the city follows for greenway construction is increasing, and that maybe there's the possibility of new grade separations where there currently are none.

The "missing link" on the Rocky Branch Greenway through NCSU is now open. Quite a big project, with a really fancy railing. IMO it will look a bit little bit strange for 10 years or so until the new trees they've planted have filled out a bit, but as a transportation corridor it's set.

I received a flyer the other day about the vacant lot at 405 Hillsborough St. It appears that local attorney David Permar and Exploris Middle School students are trying to make this lot into a community park. They are hoping that supporters will attend the City Council Meeting on April 6th.

• 4 months later...

So today I was walking on the greenway in Raleigh, I usually get on the greenway at Anderson behind the school and follow the trail past Wake Forest and Atlantic, usually stopping at Capital Blvd. Today I decided to go a bit further despite the heat b/c my curiousity got the better of me...and it was like I had stepped into a different world! The trail became this massive boardwalk through what appears to be a swamp. It was very cool but it ended at this 4 lane road (upon looking at maps appears to be Raleigh Blvd near Crabtree Blvd). At that point I figured time to turn around as I was about 2 1/2 miles from the car but I noticed when I was right at what appeared to be the end of the trail at Raleigh Blvd it had a mile marker 0 indicator. Does the greenway end at Raleigh Blvd or if you just cross over the road does it continue on a bit. I didn't wanna stand on the edge of a major thoroughfare looking for a greenway sign across the street but it felt like the end....however it looks like it may continue across according to some online maps.... Thanks!

So today I was walking on the greenway in Raleigh, I usually get on the greenway at Anderson behind the school and follow the trail past Wake Forest and Atlantic, usually stopping at Capital Blvd. Today I decided to go a bit further despite the heat b/c my curiousity got the better of me...and it was like I had stepped into a different world! The trail became this massive boardwalk through what appears to be a swamp. It was very cool but it ended at this 4 lane road (upon looking at maps appears to be Raleigh Blvd near Crabtree Blvd). At that point I figured time to turn around as I was about 2 1/2 miles from the car but I noticed when I was right at what appeared to be the end of the trail at Raleigh Blvd it had a mile marker 0 indicator. Does the greenway end at Raleigh Blvd or if you just cross over the road does it continue on a bit. I didn't wanna stand on the edge of a major thoroughfare looking for a greenway sign across the street but it felt like the end....however it looks like it may continue across according to some online maps.... Thanks!

It picks up again on the south edge of the bridge....look just to the right when you step out onto Raleigh Blvd. Similar to the zig zag at Lassiter Mill

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Old thread, new news. Recently, Raleigh inked a deal with Hanson Aggregates that allows the Crabtree Creek greenway to finally be connected into Umstead. On the down side, the greenway will follow the southern edge of Hanson's property in order to bypass their operations, which means it has to climb and then descend about 110 feet rather than following the flat, easy course of the creek. This is a very significant climb - by comparison the largest climb on the House Creek greenway at the Art museum is about 80 feet, so this will put a huge hill along the otherwise flat, fast Crabtree Creek trail, and consequently reducing its value as a potential commuter route.

This will be the new status quo for up to 40 years, at which point Hanson will be obligated to close their operations and sell the property to the city for $10.

Imperfect as this deal may be, having a trail is much better than not having a trail.

• 3 weeks later...

http://southwestraleigh.com/2014/03/rising-up-for-the-view-above-the-oaks/

https://www.facebook.com/AboveTheOaks

Check out this idea!  Could be a unique feature for Raleigh residents to enjoy and definitely something that could become a tourist draw (would need a bikeshare system).  Even just connecting the greenways through downtown seems like a no-brainer to me.

Pretty cool idea. The Devereux Meadows one would be even better if you could get it up on the bluff above next to West Street. Do each one differently with perhaps a design contest. You could also put say historic maps up in them to show off old skylines, Civil War fortification locations etc....

That is a really cool idea. I love the views from the top floors of D.H. Hill Library, from where you can see clearly in all directions. (on a clear day you can see the top of the buildings in downtown Durham)

However, in order to get truly above the oaks, you would have to go at least 100 feet up, which would probably not be especially popular in neighborhoods, though the ones at Dix and possibly Pullen Park are far enough away to encounter less opposition. For ones in close proximity to neighborhoods, especially expensive neighborhoods, design would be absolutely critical to neighborhood acceptance.

Random pic from this past weekend on the Crabtree Creek Greenway near Raleigh Blvd

I jogged right past that spot Sunday (Big Boss run club). That little pool is normally dry now that the sewer rehab project left a levy isolating it from the rest of the swamp. 

http://southwestraleigh.com/2014/03/rising-up-for-the-view-above-the-oaks/

https://www.facebook.com/AboveTheOaks

Check out this idea!  Could be a unique feature for Raleigh residents to enjoy and definitely something that could become a tourist draw (would need a bikeshare system).  Even just connecting the greenways through downtown seems like a no-brainer to me.

I like this idea.

I'd also like to see a public observation tower built on top of Occoneechee Mountain. There's a great view up there but visitors can only (legally) get to the quarry view. The top of the hill is not part of the park. There are also some peaks in the Uwharries that I really wish had observation decks. Even Morrow Mountain itself doesn't have one, and it really should.

Archived