24-Story Tower Proposed for Fulton and Ottawa

GRLaker

1 hour ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

The only thing I can say is that if the project comes to fruition as I've been told it is planned, look out!

But it could be announced tomorrow. It could be announced in 20 years. It's been in the oven for a long time, I'm told.

Would you describe it as a... wait for it... game changer?

8 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Just a rough model to give an idea.

A87E5F1B-779F-4416-8272-F0D10CE3EF60.thumb.jpeg.c1a259f23488c791cca999b8c2657817.jpegF506114A-E873-4604-8987-820F75CC0CBF.thumb.jpeg.a17201c20acafb336ee813f94f43a08d.jpeg8949E3BE-5221-44BE-BF9B-319222B553C7.thumb.jpeg.1df06b137aa6f0f460b0bfbfe8e80183.jpegAB2053D5-CBF0-410E-81D9-6E9779913D1C.thumb.jpeg.88e9ce31c7004243ee9903b47641c5e0.jpeg

And the last one is for those of us who still dream...

B628AB9A-2819-4F74-9D9C-2BB8236D4C66.thumb.jpeg.86c37c5b84b65a23f18fe8123603fa1a.jpeg

Awww yeah, just imagine this and a 24 story hotel at DeVos.

Will 24 be the new 12?  In the core DT I think it only makes sense from this point on.  Surface lots are disappearing, but there are still some huge ones.  I think Ellis would be willing to sell for the enough money.  Sure a cash cow is nice, but a lump sum and not having to deal with headaches may be better.  His triangle lot north of The Woods is a prime example.  He wouldn't even have to sell the whole thing.  The land is even still a few different parcels.  Aside from surface lots, there are still many under-utilized, dinky buildings in the core.

Also, that last picture with the full Hinman tower is just cruel.  

50 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

Awww yeah, just imagine this and a 24 story hotel at DeVos.

Will 24 be the new 12?  In the core DT I think it only makes sense from this point on.  Surface lots are disappearing, but there are still some huge ones.  I think Ellis would be willing to sell for the enough money.  Sure a cash cow is nice, but a lump sum and not having to deal with headaches may be better.  His triangle lot north of The Woods is a prime example.  He wouldn't even have to sell the whole thing.  The land is even still a few different parcels.  Aside from surface lots, there are still many under-utilized, dinky buildings in the core.

Also, that last picture with the full Hinman tower is just cruel.  

The small lot where the skywalk enters the old brick building on the east side of Market, I feel, would be the perfect lot for a 12 to 14 story building. And the Ellis lot to the south by the Woods is certainly in dire need of development.

Just now, Floyd_Z said:

New outdoor skating rink/parking lot for movies/place for colorful prisms?

Woah, calm down. Its game changing, not universe changing! 

It's going to be 19 12 story buildings. All prefab concrete like the castle. You're gonna love it!

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/22/2020 at 1:26 PM, ironyisadeadscene said:

Market and Fulton is owned by Amway. And that's going to be developed. It's just a matter of when. 

And yes, I know something. It's just the devil is in the details.

So there is a mssive sanitary line running underneath this property (109" I think?)  I heard the city is looking to possibly move it under/near Market.  I would assume this would be for a development on the property...... 

17 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

So there is a mssive sanitary line running underneath this property (109" I think?)  I heard the city is looking to possibly move it under/near Market.  I would assume this would be for a development on the property...... 

Under the Fulton property for this tower, or under the lot at Fulton and market?

On 8/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, ironyisadeadscene said:

Under the Fulton property for this tower, or under the lot at Fulton and market?

Fulton/Market.

I think Wheeler is looking to extend their year long deal with the city for the wedge development.  I really hope it doesn't get cancelled, we need some height!

2 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Fulton/Market.

I think Wheeler is looking to extend their year long deal with the city for the wedge development.  I really hope it doesn't get cancelled, we need some height!

Exactly. I also read recently the Grand Rapids area is desperate for housing. I think they still need these apartments and condos to be built. And 24 stories is nothing to sniff at in this town.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:07 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Fulton/Market.

With the pandemic, it doesn't seem like a shock that they'd need more time to see what happens in the next year.

Joe

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Saw in the Sunday paper that they are reducing the height to 22 stories (40,000 square foot reduction) after they removed some office space. Wheeler has until October 1st to decide if they want to proceed with the project. They can ask for an additional one-year extension in October, but said they would “pull the plug” by early 2022 if they don’t think the development is feasible.

Edited by WMrapids

13 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Saw in the Sunday paper that they are reducing the height to 22 stories (40,000 square foot reduction) after they removed some office space. Wheeler has until October 1st to decide if they want to proceed with the project. They can ask for an additional one-year extension in October, but said they would “pull the plug” by early 2022 if they don’t think the development is feasible.

That's disappointing, but still at 22 floors, that's fine with me. I just hope this thing gets built.

3 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

That's disappointing, but still at 22 floors, that's fine with me. I just hope this thing gets built.

Lol disappointing yes, but it’s still early.  Every Wheeler building starts above 20 and slowly gets whittled down to 12.  Just wait for Venue Tower 2.0 to get built there lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I agree. I’m sure pre-Covid, they would have been able to lease the office space. But office dynamics are changing unexpectedly. I hope they’re able to move forward with 22 stories. 

it’ll be interesting to see how office space shuffles over the next couple of years. Personally, I think work from home won’t last forever (some sectors, yes, but everyone, no.). 

Joe

I think there's going to be a permanent decrease in office space per worker post-pandemic. Between that and the more local impact of Spectrum consolidating, I don't really see the demand for new office space in Downtown Grand Rapids.

Residential, on the other hand, will continue to boom - including new "products" like units with one bedroom plus a dedicated  office/work space. That's especially true because GR (and West Michigan generally) are well positioned to attract new residents who work remotely for companies in Detroit or Chicago (or even further afield). 

Not sure on the hotel market. That seemed a little bubbly  pre-pandemic, but it may come roaring back in 2022 due to pent up demand for travel. 

Edited by Khorasaurus1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

I think there's going to a permanent decrease in office space per worker post-pandemic. Between that and the more local impact of Spectrum consolidating, I don't really see the demand for new office space in Downtown Grand Rapids.

Residential, on the other hand, will continue to boom - including new "products" like units with one bedroom plus a dedicated  office/work space. That's especially true because GR (and West Michigan generally) are well positioned to attract new residents who work remotely for companies in Detroit or Chicago (or even further afield). 

Not sure on the hotel market. That seemed a little bubbly  pre-pandemic, but it may come roaring back in 2022 due to pent up demand for travel. 

I'm surprised we haven't seen any condo developments proposed. I bet we'll see a couple this year. Or more projects where the top 1/3 are condos, bottom 2/3's apartments, to get the thing off the ground. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen any condo developments proposed. I bet we'll see a couple this year. Or more projects where the top 1/3 are condos, bottom 2/3's apartments, to get the thing off the ground. 

This project does have condos, but there's a good chance they're going to be scrapped (according to the article). I'm surprised there aren't more condo options. Heck, I'd consider a condo if it were right in the heart of the city.

Joe

I dont believe in a post pandemic work at home culture. I cant wait to work with people again. It was fun the first couple of months. It will take time to recover but I still prefer a vibrant work atmosphere then my home office. I hope this gets delayed vs chopped in half.

• Like 3