24-Story Tower Proposed for Fulton and Ottawa

GRLaker

On 2/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, egrguy said:

I dont believe in a post pandemic work at home culture. 

Well, my employer was looking to add additional office space back in March, and at this point we've already shrunk to less than what we had before the pandemic and have sold off a bunch of office furniture while also adding more employees, and some people have already moved away due to the work-from-home. So, I think it will persist. Perhaps not as strongly as it does now, but enough to affect the demand and supply by a measurable amount.

Edited by Allison Slater

I don't think the impact on the office market will be felt from permanent work-from-home (though some people/companies will do that).  I think offices will reduce space-per-person, and have people only coming in a few days per week, sharing space, etc. Plus work from home has forced people to use less paper in many cases, reducing storage/filing needs. 

Edited by Khorasaurus1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

So I got word that as of now, this project should move forward this spring.

Did they say in what state? Office + Condos + Apartment? Smaller with just office and apartments. 

I'm really surprised there isn't more residential going up downtown. I've heard the wait lists are pretty long / demand is high. I also think new condos in the core would do well (heck, I'd be interested).

Joe

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Did they say in what state? Office + Condos + Apartment? Smaller with just office and apartments. 

I'm really surprised there isn't more residential going up downtown. I've heard the wait lists are pretty long / demand is high. I also think new condos in the core would do well (heck, I'd be interested).

Joe

Ground floor retail, ramp for 3 or 4 floors. Office above that for a floor.  Residential above. Not sure about scale but over 100 units. 

Again, that's the word we've heard, things can change because pandemic, but so far, so good.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Ground floor retail, ramp for 3 or 4 floors. Office above that for a floor.  Residential above. Not sure about scale but over 100 units. 

Again, that's the word we've heard, things can change because pandemic, but so far, so good.

That's Orion correct? I really like this project, hope it happens and stays at the 24 story mark.

9992DAF6-DC81-4199-BF25-1D67BA911AE2.thu

20 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's Orion correct? I really like this project, hope it happens and stays at the 24 story mark.

9992DAF6-DC81-4199-BF25-1D67BA911AE2.thu

I thought I heard it got downscaled to 22 floors. But that was a long time ago, from here I believe. Wasn't from anything I heard a few days ago.

As for May, I don't know if that means ground breaking, or an announcement, or the next stage of preliminary work. I just know that as of now, things are moving forward and this project is very much alive.

1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I thought I heard it got downscaled to 22 floors. But that was a long time ago, from here I believe. Wasn't from anything I heard a few days ago.

As for May, I don't know if that means ground breaking, or an announcement, or the next stage of preliminary work. I just know that as of now, things are moving forward and this project is very much alive.

I'll take it!

57 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Cant not like a good piece of infill, I just wish this was either on Market, north of Wealthy, or somewhere in the N. Monroe area, close to Leonard.

Here It is just....just I suppose not as exciting in terms of its potential impact, if that makes any sense?

If we're choosing infill sites for skyline-defining buildings, I'd go with the parking lot at Louis and Monroe, the old "Tall House" site, or the old central bus station location at Ionia and Crescent. 

I agree this site seems to adding even more intensity to an already vibrant intersection, which isn't a bad thing. But there are some dead spots we could fill in (and they would look better in the skyline, too). 

Still excited about this project.

4 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Cant not like a good piece of infill, I just wish this was either on Market, north of Wealthy, or somewhere in the N. Monroe area, close to Leonard.

Here It is just....just I suppose not as exciting in terms of its potential impact, if that makes any sense?

Like what was mentioned above my post, as far as a skyline defining building, this isn't it. But something at 20 plus stories here (or anywhere right now for that matter) is pretty exciting. Especially that it's not taking up a key property.

That said, I wonder when that project will come.

Edited by Cookin_peacocks
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hate posting in an older thread with no new information, only to get people excited, but... has anyone heard anything more about this project? Curious to see if the Studio Park development will torpedo this plan. Personally, I think both could be built and have plenty of demand, but wonder if this will give them cold feet?

Joe

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I hate posting in an older thread with no new information, only to get people excited, but... has anyone heard anything more about this project? Curious to see if the Studio Park development will torpedo this plan. Personally, I think both could be built and have plenty of demand, but wonder if this will give them cold feet?

Joe

I've been told it's a go. That's from the city (the city owns that little lot)

• Like 2