24-Story Tower Proposed for Fulton and Ottawa

GRLaker

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I know a guy...

image.png.45e24633cc981348cb4d2a68af23d275.png

we should get back on topic. :P 

C77A8CB4-44B4-43D5-84CA-1990A3EDE507.thu

Yes, I agree. I hope real news about this will become available soon. And certainly hope what I was told is true.

Apparently, the pandemic really made the developers waffle (understandable) but the demand for housing and rental units is still outrageous.

Edited by Cookin_peacocks
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, MJLO said:

It’s the Wheelers, prepare for extension request followed by 12 story cube revision of design. 

I’m inclined to hope they don’t ask for an extension and see if other developers would be interested. Even if it takes a few years. 

Joe

23 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I really don't think the city wants another underwhelming project downtown to take up valuable real estate while housing demand is so high. 

I hope they don’t.  I’m just saying, everything they do starts at 20+ floors and ends up at 12. The city hasn’t said no to this point. 

43 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I hope they don’t.  I’m just saying, everything they do starts at 20+ floors and ends up at 12. The city hasn’t said no to this point. 

You're completely right. But I really hope they do here, unless this 12 floor building (which isn't real at this point, but pretending that's the route they go) is something spectacular. 

I just really think something in that spot could really activate that corner even more and really look good. Even if it is shrunk down to something like 18-16 floors. 

16 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

You're completely right. But I really hope they do here, unless this 12 floor building (which isn't real at this point, but pretending that's the route they go) is something spectacular. 

I just really think something in that spot could really activate that corner even more and really look good. Even if it is shrunk down to something like 18-16 floors. 

The chances that it's something "spectacular" at 12 stories is pretty slim, especially at a time when material costs are historically high. I say they cancel and try some other options. 

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

You didn’t get the point of high rise residential in the center of the city?  I’m confused by your confusion. 

Joe

Honestly, I dont, at least not in the case of this project in GR.  With all of the space in and around DT with nothing built on it, from Leonard down to Wealthy, why try to wedge in this at that location? Just to have a tall building? I suppose, but it isnt like DT is built-out like Chicago.

From the time it was announced, I just never really felt it was going to happen, because I could not make it make sense to me. Maybe if it was the lower portion only it could have worked out better?

17 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Maybe this will be like the Leonard/Quimby project and come back at 48 stories.

Is the city going to put this back on the market?

From my understanding from reading past comments about this parcel, the city REALLY wants it developed and developed well. 

I'm really disappointed this project failed. Something of that density and height at that location would have done wonders for that stretch of Fulton as well as the skyline

22 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Honestly, I dont, at least not in the case of this project in GR.  With all of the space in and around DT with nothing built on it, from Leonard down to Wealthy, why try to wedge in this at that location? Just to have a tall building? I suppose, but it isnt like DT is built-out like Chicago.

From the time it was announced, I just never really felt it was going to happen, because I could not make it make sense to me. Maybe if it was the lower portion only it could have worked out better?

They'd have a high density building with a small footprint. It would save the larger plots for potentially larger projects. 

This was a gimme. A two foot putt for Birdy. And we missed it. 

I've gotten the impression that the city is frustrated with the downscaling of projects the last several years. This would have helped make up for it 

• Like 2