24-Story Tower Proposed for Fulton and Ottawa

GRLaker

31 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

its like we've been constantly trained to expect something less or canceled. Honestly cant remember the last project completed at an impressive scale...Maybe riverhouse? studio park could come close but even that is a bit generic. 

I'm bummed the Hyatt wasn't placed ON TOP of the Warner Building. 

GR lacks forward thinking like that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I'm bummed the Hyatt wasn't placed ON TOP of the Warner Building. 

GR lacks forward thinking like that.

I don't know if it's a lack of forward thinking.  It seems like ambitious projects fly through approval processes pretty easy.  It may be the less flattering answer of market conditions not really supporting density projects like that right now.  Maybe developers truly can't justify the cost.   

I've always felt that Orion may be a bit of a paper tiger,  they are ambitious(and they deserve props for that) but they never seem be able to reach the scale they initially set out for.    Probably the reason you never see projects at that level come from Rockford Construction.  Though at least the final product of what they propose is what they intended. 

3 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with Wheeler backing away from this project. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/report-plans-move-forward-for-downtown-rockford-hotel/

Doubt it. Much less capital to build, I believe they own the property already, and I'm sure the logistics of finding a a hotel operator / a few retail spaces is quite simple comparatively. Rockford also has ZERO hotels with a large corporation headquartered there. I think that it is a slam dunk development.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Eh, our "12 story" thing has resulted in us now having two square miles of consistently vibrant downtown. There are much larger cities that can't claim that kind of consistent urbanism over that big of an area. Certainly none of our non-college-town peers can.  

Our skyline now extends from Wealthy to Newberry and from Seward to Union. I wouldn't trade that for, say Tulsa's downtown, which has a several skyscrapers surrounded by low slung buildings and surface parking:

more-lane-changes-coming-to-highways-aro

I would like some more height in the skyline though. A signature tower at Monroe and Louis would be awesome. Use that visibility like 5th Avenue Place in Pittsburgh does:

spacer.png

I don't disagree. Still, downtown is running out of space, and better use of the plots that are being developed would make the city more vibrant. Like the new MSU buildings at the old GRPress site. I feel like they could have been stacked. 

Maybe in obsessed with height. I just think a more dense downtown would make it more appealing.