Greer is becoming a full-fledged suburb

Spartan

Here is the Article from the Herald-Journal. You will need bugmenot to view it.

Edit:By full-fledged I mean the ability to function completely within the town without relying on the core city for anything.

There is a new Free-standing Starbucks complete with a drive-thru in Greer today. After reading this article it is very obvious that every one is thrilled about this development.

Apparantly my fellow Spartans are jealous of it too. They say there is nowhere to put one in Spartanburg (yeah, right- people will flock to it). That suits me just fine though. People treat these things like its some sort of status symbol. Why? I dont know- but they do.

If I were a coffe man, I would go to the local coffee shops like Hub City Coffee or Little River Roasting Company on Marion St. I recommend that you do too. Lets keep our money in Spartanburg rather than ship it off to Seattle.

I've not seen this particular one, but I have seen others, and they are not something to brag about. They are tiny and a waste of space. They are the penultimate example of suburbia. Drive-thru chain coffee. Also, they just piss me off (which should be all you need to know, right? :thumbsup: ). I can't say that about many chain restaurants either.

One developer mentioned that he wants to being a movie theater to Greer. In my mind, this would be a big step up for Greer. All of the other larger suburbs of Greenville (Mauldin- Hollywood 20 counts for them- and Easley) have theaters. Certainly it would be one of these new megaplexes.

These two developments add to the impressive list of retail stores that Greer has seen lately: Home Depot, Lowes, Petsmart, and Hobby Lobby to name a few.

Greer is on its way to being a full-fledged suburb.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a new Free-standing Starbucks complete with a drive-thru in Greer today. After reading this article it is very obvious that every one is thrilled about this development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed one being built on Wade Hampton between Target and Hwy 290...thought this was Taylors though :-) I kinda like Starbucks myself - have liked it for a while - dating all the way back to the days where they didn't even sell coffee ;) (I bet a lot of y'all didn't even know that Starbucks originally wasn't a coffee shop).

There's a nice new Local Coffee shop in Travelers Rest: Leopard Forest Coffee. They import their beans from Zimbabwe, roast their own beans for sale, wholesale it, and now they've got their first retail shop, too. They also do custom roasts for other local coffee shops around the Upstate.

Check it out!

http://www.leopardforestcoffee.com/

Port City Java is great too! And if you drink Port City, you're also supporting a Carolina company (based in Wilmington, NC). :thumbsup:

Their locations on Main Street and Mills Mill both must be doing great, as I know they have plans for an additional two or three locations in the Greenville area.

I actually prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee. mmmmm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't believe how many Dunkin' Donuts are in Boston! There is literally a Dunkin Donuts every few blocks here. I am thinking that they got their start here though. How many are in Greenville? The one on Wade Hampton across from WLFJ is the only one that comes to mind.

Thats because they haven't discovered Krispy Kream. Despite their financial woes, they still have great donuts. :) I know of a Yankees wh, when they come down here, have requests from their firends to bring a box of Krispy Kream back with them...

I noticed one being built on Wade Hampton between Target and Hwy 290...thought this was Taylors though :-)  I kinda like Starbucks myself - have liked it for a while - dating all the way back to the days where they didn't even sell coffee ;) (I bet a lot of y'all didn't even know that Starbucks originally wasn't a coffee shop).

There's a nice new Local Coffee shop in Travelers Rest:  Leopard Forest Coffee.  They import their beans from Zimbabwe, roast their own beans for sale, wholesale it, and now they've got their first retail shop, too.  They also do custom roasts for other local coffee shops around the Upstate.

Check it out!

http://www.leopardforestcoffee.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The starbucks is in Greer, Taylors starts at Suber Rd. and Greer is annexing on past there, the Target is in Greer city limits though it has a Taylors Address.

Leopard Forest is awsome, they actually own that farm in Zimbabwe, they sell Leopard Forest at Hot Java in downtown Greer, I drink it everyday.

West End Coffee

and Carolina Roasters on The Parkway have awsome cofee as well.

The starbucks is in Greer, Taylors starts at Suber Rd. and Greer is annexing on past there, the Target is in Greer city limits though it has a Taylors Address.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Good to know, thanks! Taking that into consideration, then the stand-alone Starbucks in Greer isn't open yet - it looks as if they've just put up the steel frame (and the sign) so far and not much else.

I haven't tried West End Coffee Co.'s coffee yet, but I noticed their building on the corner at the site of the new ballpark. I'll check it out! :thumbsup:

I can't believe how many Dunkin' Donuts are in Boston!  There is literally a Dunkin Donuts every few blocks here.  I am thinking that they got their start here though.  How many are in Greenville?  The one on Wade Hampton across from WLFJ is the only one that comes to mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is another on Woodruff, although I avoid that area of town like the plague.

While we're on the subject of that which makes suburbia suburbia....(coffee)...has anybody heard anything about Caribou Coffee coming to Greenville?

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/

My brother and his family over in Charlotte just absolutely rave about this place. I'm going to have to check it out the next time I'm over there.

They just built one of those drive-thru Starbucks not too far from my apartment complex here in Rock Hill. I don't like the design, and they bought out a locally-owned miniature golf place in order to build right by the interstate. It looks out of place.

While we're on the subject of that which makes suburbia suburbia....(coffee)...has anybody heard anything about Caribou Coffee coming to Greenville?

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/

My brother and his family over in Charlotte just absolutely rave about this place.  I'm going to have to check it out the next time I'm over there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wish they would open here. I go by one in Midtwon Atlanta all the time. Much better coffee and atmosphere than Starbucks. I would think now that Whole Foods is opening here, that would bring in a whole group of new food / coffee places. For some reason, Whole Foods seems to be a benchmark....once a city gets Whole Foods other retailers take notice....must have something to do with the demographics. All national stuff and all suburban.....mixed opinions on these businesses. :unsure:

Archived