500 room hotel + Office/Residential Tower

rolly

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wow!  That looks awesome.  Six stories is fine with me.  

While I find Charlotte (my old home) to be dramatically superior to Raleigh, this Grand Bohemian is so much nicer than the one under construction in the QC.

I agree with you regarding the one being built in Charlotte:  it looks like a cheap Days Inn, especially compared to the one in Asheville. 

I disagree with your comment about Charlotte being "dramatically superior" to Raleigh.  What does that even mean ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOLA2CLT said:

This is wildly underwhelming.  Based on what I hear about the new mayor and pro  build city council, they will by pass this quickly.  I do think a luxury hotel like a grand bohemian is needed, but even the one in Charlotte is 15 stories, which in my opinion is underwhelming as well, especially when the inter continental being built will be 35 stories

Yeah, definitely for this lot, given how ambitious the city is.  It would be nice to get a Grand Bohemian somewhere in downtown though.  Really like this rendering, looks a bit like the one being built in Greenville, SC (which looks spectacular based on the renderings).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SlackJack said:

I agree with you regarding the one being built in Charlotte:  it looks like a cheap Days Inn, especially compared to the one in Asheville. 

I disagree with your comment about Charlotte being "dramatically superior" to Raleigh.  What does that even mean ?

I like the one in Charlotte, but this one is absolutely amazing.

As far as Charlotte versus Raleigh, I find Charlotte to have a much nicer and bigger skyline. It’s all a matter of personal taste.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Honestly, City Leaders should laugh this out of the room. It's absurd that a company like Kessler is proposing such a small structure for such a prominent site, no matter the finishes of the building. Just because it's a nice brand and nice building doesn't mean it's right for this location. And if leaders are wanting to push the envelope on this project, they need to start by telling Kessler to come back when they are ready to make an actual proposal. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Honestly, City Leaders should laugh this out of the room. It's absurd that a company like Kessler is proposing such a small structure for such a prominent site, no matter the finishes of the building. Just because it's a nice brand and nice building doesn't mean it's right for this location. And if leaders are wanting to push the envelope on this project, they need to start by telling Kessler to come back when they are ready to make an actual proposal. 

Kessler is responding to a RFI transmittal what was sent out about 3 weeks ago; this is not a formal proposal. Since the RFI period lasts until the end of March,  the city will wait to receive any other RFI responses that may come in (and there will be others). In the meantime, Kessler has the right to respond as they see fit, although it is unlikely that they will be invited to submit a formal proposal if this is all that they can offer.

Having said that, requesting 500 rooms is  a stiff requirement, unless it is a part of a mixed use tower. If the city isn't interested in any of the RFI responses, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it kicked in millions of the "tourism tax funds" to get the right developer to build what it wants. Because of the location of this site, and its close proximity to the convention center,  this is a very logical location to request 500 hotel rooms.

I think this is a great proposal for Raleigh as Kessler operates great hotels but not on this spot that the city is offering.  This would look great somewhere else but downtown it is too small.  Even Kessler's new hotel along the river in Savannah is taller than this.    This would look good in Weston, RTP, maybe even around North Hills area but on this prime block downtown no. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think this is a great proposal for Raleigh as Kessler operates great hotels but not on this spot that the city is offering.  This would look great somewhere else but downtown it is too small.  Even Kessler's new hotel along the river in Savannah is taller than this.    This would look good in Weston, RTP, maybe even around North Hills area but on this prime block downtown no. 

You don't put smallish structures on expensive, prominent parcels in the downtown of a major city. Hopefully the current Raleigh city council has learned from the mistakes of the past.

15 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

A different perspective that shows how this development may look in the current skyline:

site3_4_render1.jpg

It's very exaggerated, but even if the tallest is the size of the hotel building, that would be a huge win for the skyline. I am just hoping for something 600' for this development. And not reaching 600' by a spire, I want roof lol. In a perfect world, the office would be 600' and the hotel be 450' and developments around there approach 300' to make a nice ridge. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, Rufus said:

It's very exaggerated, but even if the tallest is the size of the hotel building, that would be a huge win for the skyline. I am just hoping for something 600' for this development. And not reaching 600' by a spire, I want roof lol. In a perfect world, the office would be 600' and the hotel be 450' and developments around there approach 300' to make a nice ridge. 

Very exaggerated rendering.  Rough edit showing it at 75% would be more accurate I think?

hotel2.jpg

• Like 3

I don't understand your comment … the rendering is completely accurate in this perspective, based upon the two new buildings being in the foreground, and based upon a full height of 40 stories (which is not necessarily a given).

Edited by SlackJack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SlackJack said:

I don't understand your comment … the rendering is completely accurate in this perspective, based upon the two new buildings being in the foreground, and based upon a full height of 40 stories (which is not necessarily a given).

Agree to disagree.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, SlackJack said:

That rendering has the HQ building nearly twice as tall as BB&T lol. It's cool to see it from that angle but the scale is off

1 hour ago, Raleigh Walker said:

That rendering has the HQ building nearly twice as tall as BB&T lol. It's cool to see it from that angle but the scale is off

The proposed buildings are about a block and a half closer than BB&T from that angle.  Even if they were the same height, they'd still look taller (sort of like how BB&T looks taller than PNC).

5 hours ago, nicholas said:

The proposed buildings are about a block and a half closer than BB&T from that angle.  Even if they were the same height, they'd still look taller (sort of like how BB&T looks taller than PNC).

Yup. Plus the proposed buildings are significantly physically taller than anything nearby, including BB&T building etc  ( 40 stories vs 30 stories for the BB&T building)  

The renderings are correct. 

Edited by SlackJack

On 3/7/2020 at 10:48 PM, SlackJack said:

Yup. Plus the proposed buildings are significantly physically taller than anything nearby, including BB&T building etc  ( 40 stories vs 30 stories for the BB&T building)  

The renderings are correct. 

Floor-to-floor distance of hotel is less than office space, so keep that in mind comparing a 40-story hotel to 29-story BB&T (office) tower.  (Won't really be that much taller).  This is also why the 40-story office building to the east looks so much bigger than 40-story hotel tower on the west half of the block.  The renderings are off but yall.  Its no big deal.  These are conceptuals from the city - not even a developer proposing them.   I mean the only publicly unveiled proposal so far is the 7 story Kessler hotel.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Green_man said:

Floor-to-floor distance of hotel is less than office space, so keep that in mind comparing a 40-story hotel to 29-story BB&T (office) tower.  (Won't really be that much taller).  This is also why the 40-story office building to the east looks so much bigger than 40-story hotel tower on the west half of the block.  The renderings are off but yall.  Its no big deal.  These are conceptuals from the city - not even a developer proposing them.   I mean the only publicly unveiled proposal so far is the 7 story Kessler hotel.

Whatever is built at this site will likely look nothing like what's in the rendering. That's why I am surprised folks are harping on this. If the office tower is built like it's shown (unlikely) it will be significantly taller than anything else in the adjacent area, and possibly wider as well. Most people would agree that a 40 story office tower would be much taller than the adjacent 30 story office towers, amiright ? Will be interesting to see what the final products turn out to be.

Edited by SlackJack
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SlackJack said:

Most people would agree that a 40 story office tower would be much taller than the adjacent 30 story office towers, amiright ? 

Yes, as I showed in the more realistic rendering...

For those interested, check out the Developer Questions from the pre-bid meeting and the City's follow up Answers: https://raleighnc.gov/hotelcc#paragraph--283086

Some insight into some of the details that developer(s) are interested in.

• Like 2