Lucky's is closing

neoanderz

Wow - Kroger deinvesting from Lucky’s Is leaving them in the lurch. They’re filing for Chapter 11.

Also, what was supposedly the only Lucky’s left standing in Melbourne is closing also, just later than the others.

After Melbourne goes, you can no longer get Lucky in Florida.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-luckys-market-bankruptcy-20200127-xrgqgm4oh5enllzeb5ybfoabha-story.html

From the Sentinel 

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Wow - Kroger deinvesting from Lucky’s Is leaving them in the lurch. They’re filing for Chapter 11.

Also, what was supposedly the only Lucky’s left standing in Melbourne is closing also, just later than the others.

After Melbourne goes, you can no longer get Lucky in Florida.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-luckys-market-bankruptcy-20200127-xrgqgm4oh5enllzeb5ybfoabha-story.html

From the Sentinel 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Latest update from OBJ - in Central Florida, the Lucky’s in SoDo, Clermont and Ormond go to Publix:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/01/27/confirmed-aldi-to-buy-6-luckys-market-locations-in.html

They are buying out the leases. Disposition of the inventory and fixtures, etc. would be up to the bankruptcy judge.

And given that in SoDo  there is a giant Publix literally across the street, I doubt that Publix is buying that lease to operate it as a grocery store and more likely to prevent another grocery store from moving in. I suspect that they will either sit on the lease or sub-lease it to anyone else not wanting to open a grocery store.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

WP and Dr Phillips also have had two stores operating quite near each other so there’s precedent.

Lucky’s could be a GreenWise store and the existing store under the Publix banner.

Publix could also do it for strategic reasons and just keep another grocery store out of there.

One thing’s pretty certain - they may not do anything in a hurry. Since Publix is privately controlled, they have no pressure from Wall St. to show instant results.

Edited by spenser1058

In some of Aldi’s US markets, they seem to have located in more upwardly mobile areas but in Orlando they tended to go more downscale (and it has seemed like we didn’t get some of the upgrades other places did).

If they’re indeed going in across from OFS, that would seem a step up for them locally. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:42 AM, spenser1058 said:

WP and Dr Phillips also have had two stores operating quite near each other so there’s precedent.

Lucky’s could be a GreenWise store and the existing store under the Publix banner.

Publix could also do it for strategic reasons and just keep another grocery store out of there.

One thing’s pretty certain - they may not do anything in a hurry. Since Publix is privately controlled, they have no pressure from Wall St. to show instant results.

While I'm no expert, from what I've heard of past Publix acquisitions of this nature, they've moved very quickly to get their stores opened. Because it hits a fewer people's pockets much harder instead of being spread among many shareholders, I think they don't like to sit around, they want instant results.

I must say I'm super surprised and impressed how fast other companies have been buying up a failing grocery store's locations.... 

Edited by aent

On 1/28/2020 at 12:59 PM, AmIReal said:

So out of the Orlando locations Publix only takes Sodo. Aldi has not announced sites yet, but is supposedly taking the others. Is that Colonial/ Primrose and Alafaya/ 50. Are there others? Did the one at Goldenrod/ University ever happen?

Publix is taking the SoDo Lucky’s, while Aldi is taking the Colonial Landing Lucky’s. No word yet on the 50/Alafaya or the Winter Park locations.

13 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Publix is taking the SoDo Lucky’s, while Aldi is taking the Colonial Landing Lucky’s. No word yet on the 50/Alafaya or the Winter Park locations.

Neither of which does me a dang bit of good, dad-burn it. 

I do almost all of my shopping in the Orange and Michigan area and an Aldi there would have given me one more option.

OTOH, maybe it's a good thing as I won't be tempted to go there and buy those awesome German chocolate candies, wafers and baked goods that I not supposed to be eating anyway. 

1 minute ago, steve_o said:

Earth Fare just announced they are closing all stores as well.  Thats a shame for new(er) one on S Orange.  

I’m not surprised. They were just the latest retailer that a PEF has been sucking the life out of for a while now.

That’s a significant space, though, so I hope it doesn’t remain vacant for long.

It’s crazy how the grocery wars are playing out.  We have had so many grocery stores pop up recently that it’s not surprising some would fail.  I went to the Earth Fare a few times and it seemed way over priced to me.  I enjoyed Luckys though mainly because it was so close to my house and had nice weekly deals.

Interestingly, the Fresh Market on Mills has survived for years now even though they never feel busy in there.

Earth Fare didn't impress me.  Lucky's did. 

I am torn with Fresh Market because I love half of the store and hate the other half.

• Love: their butcher/meat department, the bakery, the fresh meal selection, the bulk food items, the wine selection
  • Hate: their prices, the fresh produce, normal staple items, frozen foods

I hope TJ or ALDI gets the Earth Fare spot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Earth Fare didn't impress me.  Lucky's did. 

I am torn with Fresh Market because I love half of the store and hate the other half.

• Love: their butcher/meat department, the bakery, the fresh meal selection, the bulk food items, the wine selection
  • Hate: their prices, the fresh produce, normal staple items, frozen foods

I hope TJ or ALDI gets the Earth Fare spot.

The interesting thing is that Fresh Market over the past couple of years has been the weakest link and was expected to be the first to go down. Hopefully, the demise of Lucky’s and Earth Fare may give Fresh Market some additional customers or it may be the next to fall.

We should remember that before Amazon swooped in, Whole Foods was also reporting less than stellar results.

We haven’t heard from Sprouts yet but I’m beginning to wonder if this model of grocery store can successfully achieve scale.

Two more local Lucky’s locations spoken for: the proposed Lake Mary store goes to Fresco y Mas (from the folks who own W-D) and the Hunter’s Creek store goes to Seabra Foods. Still waiting on E.Colonial (out towards UCF)and WP.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-winn-dixie-luckys-market-20200205-5dcaf3gvxvbhxgpvx4gesfvabu-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058