SydneyCarton

37 Story residential tower on Smith St

Just noticed that someone placed this Tower on Charlottes Wikipedia Page.  Hopefully this is one that’ll move from the ‘proposed’ column and into the ‘under construction’ column within the next year...  one can wish

8 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Location is horrible (sorry Garrison). Wouldn’t pay the kind of rent this place would require to be flanked by 277, a factory, gas station, and skinny ass sidewalks up Graham (to get hit by side mirrors). Would be very surprised if this thing lifts off. 

Agreed. I wouldn’t even want there to be an office building there to work at because of how depressing that tucked off section is. Maybe they can clean that area up more maybe but idk. It’s not looking too exciting. 

This is a gorgeous building! It's still within 277. Houston is filled with random high and mid rises. If people are okay with oodles of parking decks in uptown, this development should stand. Can't wait to see it after it's built. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 4:49 PM, JacksonH said:

Huge impact on the skyline, yes, but also a huge cost for what could turn out to be a total dud.  It doesn't appear that there are a lot of amenities nearby, which is the main attraction for urban living.  And if they can't attract residents to fill up all those floors then there would be no point in building it.  But like Hushpuppy suggests, the Silver Line could totally change that equation 

I'd imagine that if this broke ground there would be a rush of options to follow. Like you said, the Silver line coupled with something like this could produce a sizeable amount of foot traffic. Maybe could produce a dare I say, store front corridor... One can hope, right?

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the thread it was 5 pages back.  Is this going to happen soon? 

I know in the Misc Uptown Thread it was said this is going to now happen, and I know we need more unit in town, COVID hasn't changed that at all. 

But I still can't get over the location unless they know something we don't.

I just read a story in the Atlanta Business Chronicle about how high rise rental properties are slowing there due to higher construction costs and land costs and softening rents.  They said there you would need $3 a sq ft in rent to justify a new high rise rental.  I can't imagine Charlotte would be much different.  There has been a lot of inventory of apartments come online and more coming with the Ellis and 500 W Trade.    To my real estate background this is a subpar location as a high rise in Southend would do well or even in another part of uptown.   Call me skeptical on this one.  

• Like 1