Voce Hotel & Residences (25 stories; 116 suite luxury hotel; 194 condo units; 60,000 sq. ft. office; 11,000 sq. ft. retail; 4,000 sq. ft. restaurant; 700 capacity garage)

Craiger

• Craiger changed the title to Avalon Mid Town, ~30 stories, 300 units, 96,000 sq ft retail, 32,000 sq ft office, 1700 block of Hayes

This is great! The West End corridor and midtown generally has so much development potential and could really boom and grow in a short amount of time. There are quite a few large contiguous lots already pieced together by the same owner (car dealerships, medical/hospital groups) that are practically shovel-ready with just surface parking lots and nondescript 1-story buildings.

Not to mention that Purity Dairy just filed for bankruptcy and given the land value of their large presence on Church Street, there is no way they can justify keeping that processing facility in that location even if they make it through bankruptcy. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, NashWellington11 said:

This is great! The West End corridor and midtown generally has so much development potential and could really boom and grow in a short amount of time. There are quite a few large contiguous lots already pieced together by the same owner (car dealerships, medical/hospital groups) that are practically shovel-ready with just surface parking lots and nondescript 1-story buildings.

Not to mention that Purity Dairy just filed for bankruptcy and given the land value of their large presence on Church Street, there is no way they can justify keeping that processing facility in that location even if they make it through bankruptcy. 

Yup. I have a feeling that we will see a lot more proposed in this area. 

It’s just incredible to me that someone wants to put a 30 story building at 17th and Hayes. 

• Like 2

I'm surprised it's financially viable to build on the former site of a strip club; the abatement costs for body glitter must be astronomical.

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

I'm guessing that most of the retail will be within that 9 story pedestal

The site is only ~50,000 square feet, so if the retail number holds, it would have to be on at least two stories. The site also doesn't vary enough in elevation to have entrances on separate floors. 96,000 square feet of retail on two stories points to a department store.

Edit: on the other hand, it doesn't make a lot of sense as to why a large retailer would choose a location fronting a glorified alley when the most high-profile corridor in the city is a block away. Unless said retailer is looking to keep costs down, so... Urban Aldi?

Edited by PruneTracy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

This would support something I've heard in recent weeks regarding transit. I've heard rumor (for what it's worth) that the Cooper admin will be proposing transit for Hayes to Grundy Street. IDK if it's LRT, BRT or other, but it would involve a new bridge with bicycle and pedestrian over I-40/I-65.  I've heard the new transit consultant (I forgot her name) is pushing a main east-west and north-south transit-only link.  The Grundy Street leg would connect to Church around 8th or 7th. This rumor is from a public sector partner in our Chattanooga office who knows the consultant personally. She has said in the past that Nashville needs to fill a void left by the choppiness of the grid that resulted from the interstate loop being built in the 1960s. Her track record with transit is reconnecting streets that were disconnected by expressway construction. 

They would have to build a bridge over the Railroad Tracks as well, and then we have Nashville Yards being developed there too, although I’m sure they wouldn’t mind adjusting plans to accommodate a transit link. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

This would support something I've heard in recent weeks regarding transit. I've heard rumor (for what it's worth) that the Cooper admin will be proposing transit for Hayes to Grundy Street. IDK if it's LRT, BRT or other, but it would involve a new bridge with bicycle and pedestrian over I-40/I-65.  I've heard the new transit consultant (I forgot her name) is pushing a main east-west and north-south transit-only link.  The Grundy Street leg would connect to Church around 8th or 7th. This rumor is from a public sector partner in our Chattanooga office who knows the consultant personally. She has said in the past that Nashville needs to fill a void left by the choppiness of the grid that resulted from the interstate loop being built in the 1960s. Her track record with transit is reconnecting streets that were disconnected by expressway construction. 

Interesting.     This may be a good use for Hayes St, as it's such a purposeless street otherwise, given the numerous midtown parking garages along this route (glorified alley, as @PruneTracy referred to it above).      I'm not quite following the "Grundy leg connecting to Church around 8th or 7th" part.  Assuming an I-40 bridge were added to connect Hayes with Grundy, the east end of the route would stop dead at 11th, given that  Asurion/CSX/Nashville Yards sit squarely between Grundy and 8th.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

Exactly what is needed.

From Hayes Street to Church Street to State Street to Patterson Street-a visionary developer needs to come and do for that area what is happening in the Gulch-thousands of new residents in a former urban wasteland.

Viva Nashville!

I’d like to see Metro extend DTC all the way to 21st between Demonbreun/Division and Charlotte. 

• Like 2

The size of the lot is 1.12 acres, and is made up of 5 parcels that Vastland Development has amassed over the years. A permit for water and sewer availability has been applied for. 

Preston Partnership out of Atlanta will be the architect.  Civil Site Design is serving as civil engineer and land planner.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21112069/mixeduse-tower-eyed-for-midtown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 11:57 AM, donNdonelson2 said:
As a reference figure on the size of the retail square footage listed for this project (and maybe a fingers crossed wish):
While typical Target locations are approximately 135,000 square feet (12,500 m2), the majority of "small-format" CityTarget stores are roughly 80,000 square feet (7,400 m2).
Wikipedia › wiki › Target_Corporat...

Hayes will HAVE to be converted into a transit corridor for an Urban Target to even be considered. Is it possible that Target knows something that the public doesn't, sure? But I find it very unlikely that a major name like Target would take such an off the beaten trail parcel if something major is not coming.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Hayes will HAVE to be converted into a transit corridor for an Urban Target to even be considered. Is it possible that Target knows something that the public doesn't, sure? But I find it very unlikely that a major name like Target would take such an off the beaten trail parcel if something major is not coming.

I was only using the square footage as a comparison...and a wish on a lucky star.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...