Snuff District in Uptown — $200 million mixed-use development

VSRJ

23 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I agree with just about everything you said. Snuff District is a really great and unique opportunity. 2nd Top Golf isn’t happening. Trolley line needs to be extended. But, I think you overestimate the trolley. I don’t think it would make things “pour” into the area. It would help, but I think it would minimally help. 

What I meant was it would encourage growth and density. Maybe not "booming" and maybe not fast growth, but over time I think it would allow the area to grow pretty well.

That area would be a prime spot for growth for Memphis though. Let's hope it continues to develop well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

What I meant was it would encourage growth and density. Maybe not "booming" and maybe not fast growth, but over time I think it would allow the area to grow pretty well.

That area would be a prime spot for growth for Memphis though. Let's hope it continues to develop well.

They should be the new soccer stadium in the snuff district on the wolf river banks396A3AF0-6C71-44B1-9EBE-867088F81346.thumb.png.f1fd309c9fb72dfe5205f3747df975d9.png

18 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

They should be the new soccer stadium in the snuff district on the wolf river banks396A3AF0-6C71-44B1-9EBE-867088F81346.thumb.png.f1fd309c9fb72dfe5205f3747df975d9.png

That's a great idea.  Billy Orgel  included a gathering area along the harbor bank for his Snuff District development and Mayor Strickland has already received $20 million in funding to turn the harbor into a lake.  The land where the grainery sit would be ideal for the soccer stadium and the grainery has ceased operations there too. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 1:32 PM, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

This is such an exciting area to develop, for Memphis. 

It would be phenomenal, and add much needed density to that area, if a trolley line were extended up there.

The line would allow everything to pour into that region faster.

As for a Top Golf,  that would be a good idea. But Top Golf barely has 2nd locations in major metro areas, so a 2nd location for a metro of  Memphis' size is probably 99.9% not gonna happen. (Philadelphia is just now getting a 2nd top golf and they have 6 million in their metro)

But another cool destination type of attraction would be good to see for that region.

Why not put in an Urban Target after a trolley line goes in? That would be an amenity that Memphis needs, in general.

It is an exciting area to develop. This may not see the national excitement compared to Nashville's high rises, but at least there are plans in place to create more of a community aspect for downtown as a whole. I'm in favor of it. As long as it builds on the history, charm and character of Memphis. Per the Uptown West master plan, an extension of the Main St. loop is suggested, plus possibly a BMX/skating park , etc.:

image.thumb.png.7abeb56ed66a6988c22ce0e7f6604277.png

image.thumb.png.629bf5f738579712c27c26d0b7dd5d0f.png

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 1

6F9256F4-3BA9-4507-BCEE-DB594F48D678.thumb.png.e4f250433132306dc09d449988eff7d5.png

5 hours ago, JTM1 said:

That's a great idea.  Billy Orgel  included a gathering area along the harbor bank for his Snuff District development and Mayor Strickland has already received $20 million in funding to turn the harbor into a lake.  The land where the grainery sit would be ideal for the soccer stadium and the grainery has ceased operations there too. 

It could give off that Indy eleven look on the river banks except with a Memphis flavor. Drove by today and looked it is really coming along in that historic district a Soccer stadium would be an ideal anchor the area already has to brewery grind city + Souls and spirits. Someone needs to get the mayor to have better vision. 

B3AF1C77-CCB3-4D7B-94F4-9F45E2B0545D.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

6F9256F4-3BA9-4507-BCEE-DB594F48D678.thumb.png.e4f250433132306dc09d449988eff7d5.png

It could give off that Indy eleven look on the river banks except with a Memphis flavor. Drove by today and looked it is really coming along in that historic district a Soccer stadium would be an ideal anchor the area already has to brewery grind city + Souls and spirits. Someone needs to get the mayor to have better vision. 

B3AF1C77-CCB3-4D7B-94F4-9F45E2B0545D.png

This location supersede the fairgrounds for the soccer stadium and is prime for more development.  Having the soccer stadium as the anchor would push development further up 2nd.  Extending the trolley would help with parking too.  I bet the mayor didn't even look at this location.  I can  definitely see this becoming another unique  entertainment district with retail and housing. 

5 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It is an exciting area to develop. This may not see the national excitement compared to Nashville's high rises, but at least there are plans in place to create more of a community aspect for downtown as a whole. I'm in favor of it. As long as it builds on the history, charm and character of Memphis. Per the Uptown West master plan, an extension of the Main St. loop is suggested, plus possibly a BMX/skating park , etc.:

image.thumb.png.7abeb56ed66a6988c22ce0e7f6604277.png

image.thumb.png.629bf5f738579712c27c26d0b7dd5d0f.png

I love this concept, I have never seen this before and there is still enough land to mix  the soccer stadium in with this. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JTM1 said:

This location supersede the fairgrounds for the soccer stadium and is prime for more development.  Having the soccer stadium as the anchor would push development further up 2nd.  Extending the trolley would help with parking too.  I bet the mayor didn't even look at this location.  I can  definitely see this becoming another unique  entertainment district with retail and housing. 

I love this concept, I have never seen this before and there is still enough land to mix  the soccer stadium in with this. 

That looks really cool.  It looks like they are adding a pathway with lighting that connects Washington Park to the Snuff District.  It crosses 2nd, and goes in front of the Bunge site, under the overpass for the road to Grind City Brewing, and then to the Snuff District.

path.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JTM1 said:

This is perfect for USL Soccer Stadium river front view enough acreage to have practice fields, parking and academy. 2 breweries already in place and retail being built. Excellent access to extended trolley. Corporate support from St Jude a block away and convention center and new Sheraton and Proposed 300 room JW Marriott. This would truly make Memphis a soccer city! 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 12:43 PM, MDC26 said:

That looks really cool.  It looks like they are adding a pathway with lighting that connects Washington Park to the Snuff District.  It crosses 2nd, and goes in front of the Bunge site, under the overpass for the road to Grind City Brewing, and then to the Snuff District.

path.jpg

Looks like the plan per the Uptown West proposal is taking shape. Awesome. It would be nice to have Second St. widened at this intersection, but maybe it would be too dangerous for people accessing the park. Per the plan, Second St. will be landscaped and widened north of Henry St.

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Looks like the plan per the Uptown West proposal is taking shape. Awesome. It would be nice to have Second St. widened at this intersection, but maybe it would be too dangerous for people accessing the park. Per the plan, Second St. will be landscaped and widened north of Henry St.

Electing a new mayor and city council with vision is important.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I think the Mayor should’ve considered more than one site. Maybe he did and this was the best option. Not saying I agree with the decision. 

901fc owners would love to stay downtown. However they were a part of the Mayor’s ask for state funds. The 52 million dollar ask from 901fc may not happen from everything I’m hearing. Just think about it downtown has a current TDZ as well that could capture state sales tax revenue from a soccer stadium. The Mayor was told by LRK there we’re better sites for SSS He is just hell bent on tearing down MSC which he considers a eyesore @ liberty Park. The snuff would be ideal for Soccer Specific Stadium.  St Jude corporate support. Convention center foot traffic, New Sheraton redo + 300 room JW Marriott addition. Conwood 2 apts, uptown residential community. Bass pro near by and close to Harbor Town residents.  2 breweries already there and C9DCA363-7309-485E-A28E-E3B5B451857C.thumb.png.1638b78df396682ba7bc8b00b6dccb5c.pngHas huge vacant parcels, 20+ acres available to develop an Indy eleven type vibe and feel. This should definitely be considered. 

59D37C12-66F1-47D7-951E-79D0EBD2F101.thumb.png.7947bcde4390aab3ac0ee0f36bd41d86.png

9 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

901fc owners would love to stay downtown. However they were a part of the Mayor’s ask for state funds. The 52 million dollar ask from 901fc may not happen from everything I’m hearing. Just think about it downtown has a current TDZ as well that could capture state sales tax revenue from a soccer stadium. The Mayor was told by LRK there we’re better sites for SSS He is just hell bent on tearing down MSC which he considers a eyesore @ liberty Park. The snuff would be ideal for Soccer Specific Stadium.  St Jude corporate support. Convention center foot traffic, New Sheraton redo + 300 room JW Marriott addition. Conwood 2 apts, uptown residential community. Bass pro near by and close to Harbor Town residents.  2 breweries already there and C9DCA363-7309-485E-A28E-E3B5B451857C.thumb.png.1638b78df396682ba7bc8b00b6dccb5c.pngHas huge vacant parcels, 20+ acres available to develop an Indy eleven type vibe and feel. This should definitely be considered. 

The Downtown TDZ doesn’t expire until 2031 so it could be done. They may want to explore playing in Liberty Stadium while a better Soccer stadium could be built. 769CBDA4-5DBC-4526-91FE-93F3522D9284.thumb.png.45493e8d9d79a8e95e04af800ba6ce16.png

Edited by Memphisborn

12 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Question about that inlet: What is that thing that looks like a shipwreck at the landside shore?  What was the factory that used to sit on that land there? 

Not sure 🤔 I’d have to do a lil more research. Maybe another poster could tell us what’s was there and what that shipwreck is next to bridge 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I think the Mayor should’ve considered more than one site. Maybe he did and this was the best option. Not saying I agree with the decision. 

Probably the only candidate site the city owns. You don’t announce plans to build a soccer stadium on someone else’s property. 

5 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

901fc owners would love to stay downtown. However they were a part of the Mayor’s ask for state funds. The 52 million dollar ask from 901fc may not happen from everything I’m hearing. Just think about it downtown has a current TDZ as well that could capture state sales tax revenue from a soccer stadium. The Mayor was told by LRK there we’re better sites for SSS He is just hell bent on tearing down MSC which he considers a eyesore @ liberty Park. The snuff would be ideal for Soccer Specific Stadium.  St Jude corporate support. Convention center foot traffic, New Sheraton redo + 300 room JW Marriott addition. Conwood 2 apts, uptown residential community. Bass pro near by and close to Harbor Town residents.  2 breweries already there andHas huge vacant parcels, 20+ acres available to develop an Indy eleven type vibe and feel. This should definitely be considered. 

59D37C12-66F1-47D7-951E-79D0EBD2F101.thumb.png.7947bcde4390aab3ac0ee0f36bd41d86.png

This vacant land in the photo is already outlined and planned as residential for the Snuff District project.  There is a spot just to the NE, that is large enough for a stadium. The convention center is a mile away, so don’t think there’d be much traffic from there. 

6 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

Would be nice if we had influence on ideas developed in the city by developers or city government. Some great ideas are presented on these boards. I wouldn't mind emailing the ideas to the right people who are major players in certain projects.

City government would probably just laugh and dismiss us.  Who knows, but some developers may even frequent this board.  They've had great ideas too.  Crosstown Concourse was great vision.  Even the Snuff district was a fantastic idea.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

Would be nice if we had influence on ideas developed in the city by developers or city government. Some great ideas are presented on these boards. I wouldn't mind emailing the ideas to the right people who are major players in certain projects.

I’ve sent a few emails out already to serious developers. Not sure what they think of Soccer Stadium idea. However I can tell u some in the political realm like the possibility of it. 

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

I’ve sent a few emails out already to serious developers. Not sure what they think of Soccer Stadium idea. However I can tell u some in the political realm like the possibility of it. 

Stadiums themselves aren't money makers, so private developers don't have interest in doing something like that themselves, especially on their own land in which they have plans of doing something more productive.  The land owner that sells their property to the city or sports team for the stadium is the only one that benefits financially, besides the architects/engineers that design it, and the contractors/construction that build it.  Developers would prefer that it be built on someone else's land, close to their property, so that it will increase its value.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Stadiums themselves aren't money makers, so private developers don't have interest in doing something like that themselves, especially on their own land in which they have plans of doing something more productive.  The land owner that sells their property to the city or sports team for the stadium is the only one that benefits financially, besides the architects/engineers that design it, and the contractors/construction that build it.  Developers would prefer that it be built on someone else's land, close to their property, so that it will increase its value.  

Good point. 901fc owners or city would have to purchase land in snuff I do know some of the land is currently privately own. My question is does the Orgel team own all the vacant land in snuff ?? 

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

That's good to hear. I thought about sending available properties to some companies that aren't in Memphis yet with the area market. It could possibly give them the idea to look at our metro.

I'm already in Real Estate and have thought about playing a role in development in some way after watching developments for years now. 

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

City government would probably just laugh and dismiss us.  Who knows, but some developers may even frequent this board.  They've had great ideas too.  Crosstown Concourse was great vision.  Even the Snuff district was a fantastic idea.  

I believe we do have some watching. There's more spectators that actually watch, but never post. 👀 *Hey you guys

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

That's good to hear. I thought about sending available properties to some companies that aren't in Memphis yet with the area market. It could possibly give them the idea to look at our metro.

I'm already in Real Estate and have thought about playing a role in development in some way after watching developments for years now. 

I believe we do have some watching. There's more spectators that actually watch, but never post. 👀 *Hey you guys

Interesting post. There are some plausible ideas in theory posted here. We all know Money is the great equalizer to all great ideas. Hopefully some of these will be taken into consideration by people who can actually make it a reality. 

• Like 1