Cincnnati's Fountain Square Project

xrednek

Does anyone know the status of the Fountain Square Project in DT Cincy? I recently heard they were waiting for approval from the city council for a $42mil rejuvination that would increase pedestrian accessability and bring in new street level restaurants, bars etc. Crossing my fingers.

I recently moved to Dayton OH (50min. north of Cincy) and was pleasently surprised by Cincinnati's DT. It's not NY but it's got some life. As for Dayton's DT, it's pretty depressing, barring one strip of restaurants/bars known as the "Oregon District", there's not much going on- but there are efforts being made.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know the status of the Fountain Square Project in DT Cincy?  I recently heard they were waiting for approval from the city council for a $42mil rejuvination that would increase pedestrian accessability and bring in new street level restaurants, bars etc.  Crossing my fingers.

I recently moved to Dayton OH (50min. north of Cincy) and was pleasently surprised by Cincinnati's DT.  It's not NY but it's got some life.  As for Dayton's DT, it's pretty depressing, barring one strip of restaurants/bars known as the "Oregon District", there's not much going on- but there are efforts being made.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I grew up in Dayton and lived there until I was 27. I know downtown seems depressing. Back in the 1980's it was an exciting place, with three department stores, a mall called the Ardcade and lots of activity. Like all "rust belt" cities, Dayton has hit some hard times. The Oregon District is cool and the minor league baseball stadium has brought some people back downtown. The Riverscape park along the north edge of downtown is also popular and the city is looking for a developer to add some retail/restaurants to that area.

You can follow the progress of Cincy's Fountain Square project on the Cincinnati Enquirer's website www.enquirer.com. THey have renderings of what the proposed changes would look like. City Council's financial committee has approved the project and it will go to the full council in late June.

I grew up in Dayton and lived there until I was 27. I know downtown seems depressing. Back in the 1980's it was an exciting place, with three department stores, a mall called the Ardcade and lots of activity. Like all "rust belt" cities, Dayton has hit some hard times. The Oregon District is cool and the minor league baseball stadium has brought some people back downtown. The Riverscape park along the north edge of downtown is also popular and the city is looking for a developer to add some retail/restaurants to that area.

You can follow the progress of Cincy's Fountain Square project on the Cincinnati Enquirer's website www.enquirer.com. THey have renderings of what the proposed changes would look like. City Council's financial committee has approved the project and it will go to the full council in late June.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. They have made some in-roads when it comes to enticing people back to downtown Dayton. It's just difficult for DT businesses to compete with the booming sprawl. They just began construction on a new mall (and are tearing down another), it's supposed to be more like a pedestrian friendly town center- pretty ironic considering it's located on the edge of one of our suburbs.

Yeah the city just bought and is razing a complex of dilapidated old GM factories north of the new baseball field- they're calling it "tech town". They're hoping contractors from the AF base will set up shop in the yet-to-be-built offices, while offering the street level to new restaurants, shops etc. Sounds promising.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived