Should NOVA be part of the Virginia forum?

vdogg

Should NOVA be part of the Virginia Forum  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should NOVA be part of the Virginia Forum

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Ok, I've been sitting the fence for a while on this. A while back i asked for and was given permission to create a NOVA thread in the Virginia subforum instead of just leaving it as part of the Balt/Wash subforum. I still have not made up my mind as to whether I want to do this or not. I would like to discuss the pros and cons of this and i will be basing my decision in large part on the feedback i receive. All that i ask is that in stating your opinion you be mindful and respectful of your fellow forumers, some of whom may be from that region. In time, if a thread is created and we generate a lot of interest a NOVA subforum may be made part of the Virginia forum.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say ask the Northern VA forumers where they want to be. 

2. It affects them, not us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't particularly agree with that because if we take it as part of Virginia it affects all of us. Just like with the creation of the Richmond subforum, which has worked wonderfully. Part of the problem is that i truly don't know how many Nova lurkers we may have. Just as was intially with Hampton Roads, until we created a place to be there really were no post from this region. The big deal is this, I would like to create this section in such a manner that it does not detract from Balt/Wash forum, which surprisingly doesn't have a lot of activity as is. To date I have only received 2 pms as to why there is no Nova section but i have a feeling there may be many more guest forumers wondering the same thing.

Ok, I've been sitting the fence for a while on this. A while back i asked for and was given permission to create a NOVA thread in the Virginia subforum instead of just leaving it as part of the Balt/Wash subforum. I still have not made up my mind as to whether I want to do this or not. I would like to discuss the pros and cons of this and i will be basing my decision in large part on the feedback i receive. All that i ask is that in stating your opinion you be mindful and respectful of your fellow forumers, some of whom may be from that region. In time, if a thread is created and we generate a lot of interest a NOVA subforum may be made part of the Virginia forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The occupied territories of Northern Virginia should be included. :lol:

A better place for this would have probably been the Virginia forum page. I don't think it could hurt since NOVA is a major driver to development and $$$ in VA, (even though more and more it seems less like part of VA). Why not put a thread in the Virginia Forum called NOVA Developments, similar to the way Richmond was prior to becoming a subforum to see if it draws interest.

A better place for this would have probably been the Virginia forum page. I don't think it could hurt since NOVA is a major driver to development and $$$ in VA, (even though more and more it seems less like part of VA). Why not put a thread in the Virginia Forum called NOVA Developments, similar to the way Richmond was prior to becoming a subforum to see if it draws interest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see why people don't see it as part of VA. It is and it doesn't matter if you like it or not i think it should belong to the Va forum. But it all depends on the people in NOVA if they want to be part of the Va forum.

I don't see why people don't see it as part of VA. It is and it doesn't matter if you like it or not i think it should belong to the Va forum. But it all depends on the people in NOVA if they want to be part of the Va forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I said it should/could be part of the Virginia Forum if there is interest. Oh yea, I did. NOVA is aligned much more towards D.C., Maryland, and the northeast than it is to the rest of VA IMO. So at the same time, I think the D.C./Baltimore forum could also be expanded to include NOVA.

I thought I said it should/could be part of the Virginia Forum if there is interest. Oh yea, I did. NOVA is aligned much more towards D.C., Maryland, and the northeast than it is to the rest of VA IMO. So at the same time, I think the D.C./Baltimore forum could also be expanded to include NOVA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't really directing anything to you, we were asked to state our opinions and that's what we did. I just hit the quote button, sorry.

Yes, it is a part of VA but because NOVA's a suburb for DC I think they belong in the DC/Balt forum.  But if a NOVA subforum was created I wouldn't mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though it is part of DC's suburban aglomeration, NoVa is still a vital part of the commonwealth. I would go as far to say that the Norfolk and Richmond metros are much more closely aligned to NoVa than they are to the rural Southside or the far southwest.

The idea of a subforum for NoVa is a NoBrainer. It is part of this state/commonwealth and not DC nor Maryland. NoVa has little in common with DC for the purpose of this forum (development). DC is a unique space in the US that eschews skyscrapers and individuality in many of its buildings. The Tysons or Rosslyn skylines are not Manhattan but they are far more diverse than DC's "downtown" away from the monuments. Aside from the monuments, I have often heard people from many areas say how "boring" DC's business districts are.

The only thing is I wonder how much interest there is now. It seems that the DC/Balto pages are a little slower paced than us for an area of 8M people.

it is time to end the seperation and bring virginians together again.  I say add them to the virginia forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And on that note i will add a thread to the Virginia main forum and pin it. Part of my reason for posting this topic in here was because it is a high traffic area. I didn't think i would get enough feedback because not too many people visit the Virginia main forum since Richmond and HR were separated out. Perhaps adding NOVA will help to revitalize that section. Also, the DC metro section of the forum has not been that active, perhaps giving areas like Rosslyn a higher profile (since it is the city to most likely have real skyscrapers) will help generate more interest from the region. Even though there is not much interest now, perhaps there will be in the future. Thank you guys for your input. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in HR and went to college in NoVA...it's different than the rest of the state, but it is still part of the state. So a subforum on the VA page would work best for this economic monstrosity to the north. The reason for the lack of activity in the DC area is that it is already developed. Folks in HR can witness new high rises coming onboard and see their region grow with regards to its recognition as a metro area. Washingtonians aready have a densely developed area. Most of the new development is in the housing market, and nothing is as exciting as a new million dollar per unit subdivision being put up in loudon county. Anyways, NoVa is closer to HR then some want to admit... they deserve to be in their states forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, i have been so busy i haven't had time to develop this yet but i'm working on it. I'm trying to get a list of projects together ala what we originally had at the beginning of the Norfolk development thread.

I've pinned a NOVA thread in the VA main forum. As you can see i've accomplished close to nothing on it cause i've been busy with other things. Any of you guys that could possibly lend a hand on this as far a developments from NOVA and articles (of course following the article posting policy) would be much appreciated. NOVA

• 1 month later...

I can't particularly agree with that because if we take it as part of Virginia it affects all of us. Just like with the creation of the Richmond subforum, which has worked wonderfully. Part of the problem is that i truly don't know how many Nova lurkers we may have. Just as was intially with Hampton Roads, until we created a place to be there really were no post from this region. The big deal is this, I would like to create this section in such a manner that it does not detract from Balt/Wash forum, which surprisingly doesn't have a lot of activity as is. To date I have only received 2 pms as to why there is no Nova section but i have a feeling there may be many more guest forumers wondering the same thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I am an Alexandria resident and I would like my city to be included in the Virginia Forum. I'll keep everyone updated as far as whats going on in Northern Virginia. Since D.C. has height restrictions on towers, NOVA has all the highrises: Arlington, Alexandria, Herndon, Tysons Corner. NOVA has some of the most inovative architecture on the East Coast. Roslyn, just one district of Arlington, has a downtown rivaling Norfolk. Tysons Corner, Herndon and all along 495, 395 and 66 showcase some striking towers, towers that arent even acknowledged in skyscrapers.com. (Emporis). D.C./NOVA region is ranked top job economy, boasting the lowest unemployment rate in the nation at 3%. This rating is reflected by the condominium towers poping up like dandylions in the spring. Cranes are everywhere, throughout the region. All of these places are in Virginia. Even though I technically live in Virginia, I do feel like I live in a suberb of D.C. so my heart goes out to Norfolk, Va Beach and Newport News, the soul of Virginia. Richmond too, but I don't feel a connection with Richmond for some reason.

Well, I am an Alexandria resident and I would like my city to be included in the Virginia Forum.  I'll keep everyone updated as far as whats going on in Northern Virginia.  Since D.C. has height restrictions on towers, NOVA has all the highrises:  Arlington, Alexandria, Herndon, Tysons Corner.  NOVA has some of the most inovative architecture on the East Coast.  Roslyn, just one district of Arlington, has a downtown rivaling Norfolk.  Tysons Corner, Herndon and all along 495, 395 and 66 showcase some striking towers, towers that arent even acknowledged in skyscrapers.com. (Emporis).  D.C./NOVA region is ranked top job economy, boasting the lowest unemployment rate in the nation at 3%.  This rating is reflected by the condominium towers poping up like dandylions in the spring.  Cranes are everywhere, throughout the region.  All of these places are in Virginia.  Even though I technically live in Virginia, I do feel like I live in a suberb of D.C. so my heart goes out to Norfolk, Va Beach and Newport News, the soul of Virginia.

Well I made a NOVA projects thread in the Virginia main forum as a babystep maneuver to see if NOVA could support a subforum. Unfortunately at this time there does not seem to be enough interest in that thread to justify a subforum so there probably won't be one for the time being. That can change however based on interest

generated and if someone like you can keep that thread updated it should start drawing more people from the region then.

Richmond too, but I don't feel a connection with Richmond for some reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: You and Rus should get along fine then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOVA almost has too much going on to have a NOVA forum. We should break it down to Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons Corner, etc. Is anyone that lives out here with me on this? Each city mentioned, though considered a part of "NOVA", has an individual mayor, boundaries, downtowns and culture, so they too deserve seperate forums. Vadogg, are u with me on this?

I really love Alexandria. I was up that way a little over a month ago and took some pics of Old Town and posted here. Alexandria is really an edge city and has it's own character imo. It almost has a coastal feel with the water there close by. And the architecture is awesome with all of the old buildings and such. Oh and welcome to the forum juan. :)

NOVA almost has too much going on to have a NOVA forum.  We should break it down to Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons Corner, etc.  Is anyone that lives out here with me on this?  Each city mentioned, though considered a part of "NOVA", has an individual mayor, boundaries, downtowns and culture, so they too deserve seperate forums. Vadogg, are u with me on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It took a while for me to even give Va. Beach and Norfolk their own subforums and even that was a process of painful deliberation. It's actually a pretty big deal to create subforums and a lot of it has to do with forumer participation. I'd have to see at least a few regular participants (by regular I mean at least daily posting) from or interested in that region to justify just creating a NOVA subforum itself, let alone a subforum for each municipality, which would be fairly cumbersome. The creation of subforums is also for organizational purposes.

I really love Alexandria. I was up that way a little over a month ago and took some pics of Old Town and posted here. Alexandria is really an edge city and has it's own character imo. It almost has a coastal feel with the water there close by. And the architecture is awesome with all of the old buildings and such. Oh and welcome to the forum juan. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I appreciate the warm welcome. I just started posting today. Alexandrians don't consider themselves NOVA, do we? Alexandria has Old Town, which rivals Georgetown in its European charm and royal residence, lol. Old Town draws tourists independent from D.C.

Archived