Jump to content

LOCAL & STATE GOVERNMENT INFLUENCE IN GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As far as Oracle goes, it might not be all Cooper that runs them off. It may well be the governor and the state legislature when the passed the adaption bill they passed. They are already getting push

This nails it. And Cooper 100% ran 1500 Microsoft jobs out of town. He's clueless on this subject. Freddie O'Connell, whose council district covers all of downtown and a piece o

Property tax rate increase is the only way. It solves almost all of our problems. We traditionally do it with reassessment but decided not to because we were trying to pass a transit tax at the time.

Posted Images

Yes, we totally understand the passion you all have for this subject and didn't want to restrict it (as if we could), so we want to bring the discussion to a place that wouldn't push other conversations about  specific development proposals multiple pages back in their topic.

Thanks for your help.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this NOTE interesting. Gov. Lee is asking his ECD to focus on rural areas at a time where Cooper's administration no longer has (and probably will not fill) and Economic Development role.

 

50 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am starting this thread at the request of other moderators in an effort to move all of the comment about Mayor Cooper, Governor Lee, and their influence in the growth and development or lack there of in Nashville. I dont think we will hear the end of this for a while as we have 3 and half years left in Coopers term.

Someone will eventually blink, but this adventure is just starting and I dont think the antics are by any means over. We need to wait and see what the state does or does not do. We will also need to see what the council does in reaction to what the mayors actions have been and are going to be.

So any comments about things he or the council ort the state does with respect to any project, lets put them here and leave the other thread open to comment about the  particular project work being done.

Just keep it somewhat civil folks, please!

Thank you for doing this as I found myself stressing over Cooper in all threads :tw_weary: 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I found this NOTE interesting. Gov. Lee is asking his ECD to focus on rural areas at a time where Cooper's administration no longer has (and probably will not fill) and Economic Development role.

 

Thank you for doing this as I found myself stressing over Cooper in all threads :tw_weary: 

No point in recruiting to Davidson county if Cooper is going to run them off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Mayor Cooper is just a symptom of the anti growth virus that has infected the minds of most Nashvillians. Trying to stop growth by making companies and people misrable, rejecting mass transit, and having the major purposefully attempt to sabotage large corporate deals that will do wonders to the city's economy and image isn't going to help the city at all! Cooper could literally say f--- bezos as a public statement and Amazon won't leave because they have already put a sizable investment in their development which is under construction now. People like Mayor Cooper are why I left the city years ago and moved to London, I knew in the long run the city was going to grow, but would not adapt to the growth like other cities in America would do. It is like stopping yourself from growing by shooting yourself in the knee.

I sincerely doubt that an “anti-growth virus” has hit Nashville. There is far too much momentum for that.   If I recall correctly Binbin98 you are quite young.   I suspect you relocated not because of Mayor Cooper, but as a result of your family moving abroad, and certainly not because you knew in the long run the city would grow but not adapt.  Nashville’s take on growth and development is not much different than many similar cities.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

I found this NOTE interesting. Gov. Lee is asking his ECD to focus on rural areas at a time where Cooper's administration no longer has (and probably will not fill) and Economic Development role.

 

Thank you for doing this as I found myself stressing over Cooper in all threads :tw_weary: 

This is a product of the Governor's platform to focus on rural development and job creation and has nothing to do with Cooper's actions.

Edited by tragenvol
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dxfret said:

I sincerely doubt that an “anti-growth virus” has hit Nashville. There is far too much momentum for that.   If I recall correctly Binbin98 you are quite young.   I suspect you relocated not because of Mayor Cooper, but as a result of your family moving abroad, and certainly not because you knew in the long run the city would grow but not adapt.  Nashville’s take on growth and development is not much different than many similar cities.   

From what I’ve heard, Austin has had the same issues, leaders opposing many developments, etc., and I’m sure this is the case in many cities. My guess is that this will  all turn out to be less problematic than it initially seemed; or at least, I hope so. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

My two cents - Cooper will likely stay popular among the masses who are tired of all the changes, but they don't provide the level of funding for campaigns that the business leaders do. If he alienates those folks he may be in trouble, money wise. Politicians need big money. I'm guessing he thinks he has a year or so before he needs to begin appealing to them again.

I'm not sure he needs big money...didn't he buy this election, i.e. self-funded and a by lot more than his foes?

Mods:  feel free to move this response to the appropriate thread.

Edited by tragenvol
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

I'm not sure he needs big money...didn't he buy this election, i.e. self-funded and a by lot more than his foes?

Mods:  feel free to move this response to the appropriate thread.

That's right. All of business was against him last time (other than last minute defectors that saw writing on the wall). He stroked himself more than a million dollars and mostly self funded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PianoKing03 said:

Austin has had the same issues, leaders opposing many developments, etc.

I don't think you can characterize Cooper's activities as "leaders opposing many developments".  I know of the one example with the fairgrounds, but I would characterize that as "leaders backing out of public-private partnerships".  If there were a proposal for straight-up privately financed development in Nashville, I don't think we will find anyone in metro government opposed.  And I bet you will be hard-pressed to find many residents, even long-term residents, who are opposed. 

From my point of view, the thing that makes the soccer stadium a lightning rod for criticism is the unique way it involved giving land to a private developer as an incentive to invest in the stadium.  I think your average man-on-the street will have a knee-jerk reaction like "heck no, make those rich developers pay for their own stadium".  That's a common reaction in Nashville today because people are like "didn't we already pay for an arena, and a stadium, and a convention center?".  I think there is project fatigue among the voters, and that may have also factored into the mass transit vote.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Armacing said:

I don't think you can characterize Cooper's activities as "leaders opposing many developments".  I know of the one example with the fairgrounds, but I would characterize that as "leaders backing out of public-private partnerships".  If there were a proposal for straight-up privately financed development in Nashville, I don't think we will find anyone in metro government opposed.  And I bet you will be hard-pressed to find many residents, even long-term residents, who are opposed. 

From my point of view, the thing that makes the soccer stadium a lightning rod for criticism is the unique way it involved giving land to a private developer as an incentive to invest in the stadium.  I think your average man-on-the street will have a knee-jerk reaction like "heck no, make those rich developers pay for their own stadium".  That's a common reaction in Nashville today because people are like "didn't we already pay for an arena, and a stadium, and a convention center?".  I think there is project fatigue among the voters, and that may have also factored into the mass transit vote.

What do you call him meddling with a sign permit, and trash talking the largest private employer in the city?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Armacing said:

I haven't heard about those.  What did he say about HCA?

He personally intervened  to prevent the passage of the Nashville Yards Signage Package(it was up for approval on 1/9/2020) over concerns about electronic screens like those already installed in other locations downtown, and bragged about how he made Asurion(sorry, the largest privately held employer) “very mad at him” when he revoked the infrastructure reimbursement that Briley had promised while speaking at a Rotary event. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

He personally intervened  to prevent the passage of the Nashville Yards Signage Package(it was up for approval on 1/9/2020) over concerns about electronic screens like those already installed in other locations downtown, and bragged about how he made Asurion(sorry, the largest privately held employer) “very mad at him” when he revoked the infrastructure reimbursement that Briley had promised while speaking at a Rotary event. 

I think that Asurion thing falls exactly within the category of "pulling out of public-private partnerships" that I outlined in my other post.  As you correctly pointed out, Asurion is huge, and I know a few people who work there in the finance department.  They are not hurting for money, it's a very profitable business.  They are located in Nashville because it's profitable for them to be here, not because the city pays for their infrastructure.

As for the signage thing, I personally disagree with how zoning has been "weaponized" against people/organizations to achieve political goals.  I hope there will be a general awakening among the populace about the negative effects is has on poor/elderly residents in Nashville.  But I guess the sign thing illustrates that it also affects well-funded developers as well.  Personally, I think we should cover those two old telephone infrastructure buildings on 2nd avenue with gigantic blade runner-style LED signs.  So I guess you might say I am very much in favor of large electric signs.  The more neon at night, the better, in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

He personally intervened  to prevent the passage of the Nashville Yards Signage Package(it was up for approval on 1/9/2020) over concerns about electronic screens like those already installed in other locations downtown, and bragged about how he made Asurion(sorry, the largest privately held employer) “very mad at him” when he revoked the infrastructure reimbursement that Briley had promised while speaking at a Rotary event. 

And...there are rumors that Oracle may pass us by because of Cooper (of course, I'd like to see more proof of that before saying it's a definite).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tragenvol said:

This is a product of the Governor's platform to focus on rural development and job creation and has nothing to do with Cooper's actions.

It could be both.  Nashville's attractiveness to out-of-state money (individuals and businesses) helps bring attention to opportunities in other parts of the state.  Gov. Lee would not want Nashville's star to lose its brightness.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

It could be both.  Nashville's attractiveness to out-of-state money (individuals and businesses) helps bring attention to opportunities in other parts of the state.  Gov. Lee would not want Nashville's star to lose its brightness.

Whether or not it is related, I think my point is that the Metro Nashville no longer has a real ECD chief and the Governor's priority is being placed in rural areas (albeit certainly State will continue to recruit to urban areas). Still those two things combined may mean a down tick in proactive recruitment to Nashville. 

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free to support Jim Cooper's primary challengers. https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/elections/article/21113988/facing-primary-challenge-jim-cooper-boosts-fundraising

Here's the problem with politics today... just some of the deep pockets who sidle up to Cooper. Shame! If we had a news media anymore, they'd at least look into what those 'supporters' are getting in return for their money. It's not because they like him. One of my friends is a Congressman from this part of the country... and he said that even Jim Cooper's fellow party members cannot stand him. 

Cooper’s support comes in part from political committees of defense contractors, tobacco companies and tech firms. Jones has pledged not to accept funds from corporate political action committees. Cooper’s donors also include prominent local executives including Nashville Predators Chairman Herb Fritch, Vanderbilt Law School Dean Chris Guthrie and real estate developer Bert Mathews.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Whether or not it is related, I think my point is that the Metro Nashville no longer has a real ECD chief and the Governor's priority is being placed in rural areas (albeit certainly State will continue to recruit to urban areas). Still those two things combined may mean a down tick in proactive recruitment to Nashville. 

Adding to my point, if I was one of those developers with spec office being built or proposed office on the way I'd be nervous about how all of this is unfolding.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

As far as the distressed Counties go, the State can pour billions of dollars into them, but they can't keep the young people living there because of quality of life issues. Frankly there is nothing to in Podunk East TN or in  Sticksville West TN. I know because I am from that area East and I know the areas that are distressed. Some of those small communities have no hospital, barely able to keep the fire and police funded and you have to fix that before you bring business in. I am from a city in E TN and a lot of the folks I went to school with left town and will never go back. The only way that city has increased population was though annexation. It is not as bad as some of the areas farther out as I would never live in lets say Hancock, Claiborne, Union, Scott, Campbell, McNairy, Fayette, Obion, etc. Just rural and struggling.

Big business knows what they need and it is an educated work force and they will move to an area that has homes, good health care, at least some good schools in the area and a lot of these rural districts are underfunded, Juxtaposing to the Nashville Metro area. I am counting districts like Franklin and Williamson County.

Good money after bad

Agreed. No amount of money is saving the rural areas. Maybe you can get some manufacturing, but even those like to be reasonably near a population center. The tech companies we've been talking about want to be in a booming urban area, period. An Oracle isn't interested in anywhere in Tennessee but downtown Nashville (not even WilCo).

Edited by DDIG
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.