LOCAL & STATE GOVERNMENT INFLUENCE IN GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT

smeagolsfree

22 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

They took a chunck out a couple of weeks ago to fight the coronavirus. I think it was 175 million, however I am unsure of the amount.

The rainy day fund will be at nearly $1.5 billion after the amended budget was approved by the legislature.  The amended budget increased the rainy day fund deposit from $50 million to $350 million for FY19-20.  The amended budget also includes $150 million toward COVID-19 efforts.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

The rain day fund will be at nearly $1.5 billion after the amended budget was approved by the legislature.  The amended budget increased the rainy day fund deposit from $50 million to $350 million for FY19-20.  The amended budget also includes $150 million toward COVID-19 efforts.

Thanks I knew it was a substantial amount. They may need all of that rainy day fund before it is all said and done too. They will get some help from the feds to the tune of around 3 billion.

• 3 months later...

Metro Council rejected legislation that would have charged developers and homebuilders a fee of $1 per square foot of residential construction and $2 per square foot of commercial construction. Such a fee is currently illegal under state law, but lead sponsor Jonathan Hall had pressed for its approval in an effort to spur a change in state law, which Mayor John Cooper has advocated for. 

Hall is continuing his mission: He has reintroduced the legislation. It's on the agenda for the council's July 7 meeting.

More behind NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/07/02/deal-dash-council-development-fee-aldi-brentwood.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Mayor Cooper is starting a national search for economic development chief to head a gutted department as he redefines the job description.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/22/cooper-ecd-hiring-incentives-jobs.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

What a joke. There is a fine balance between handing out subsidies to any company coming to town saying they will add jobs and actually diversifying your economic base. 

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Are we sure he ran them out of town, or was Microsoft already going to Atlanta and wanted to use Nashville as bait for more incentives? 

What does it matter if they wanted to use Nashville as bait? If they did, fine, Atlanta has to pay more and Nashville pays nothing. But if it was sincere, then 1500 high-paying jobs were thrown away for nothing but ego.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I know Cooper canceled meetings and pissed off Microsoft, but no one can confirm if Nashville was being used by Microsoft or if Microsoft was truly going to pick Nashville and didn't after Cooper didn't meet with them. 

Microsoft was legit interested coming based on everything I have heard. But even if we were just a pawn, you can always say - hey, we don't have incentives, but let me show you what we do have. It didn't go down like that. Mayor making them feel so insulted they cancelled the rest of their trip and headed straight to the airport is bad for a city. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Are we sure he ran them out of town, or was Microsoft already going to Atlanta and wanted to use Nashville as bait for more incentives? 

Regardless, this was the worst possible publicity for Nashville. Microsoft representatives cancel their schedule and go straight to the airport

• Like 1

From NBJ, Holly Sullivan (former Econ Recruiter for M'boro/Rutherford) is now with AMZN, on the topic of the technology industry in Nashville. Giarratana is also quoted about his 'twins' about to go up on Church. It mentions that he has three other buildings planned. What are they? 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/23/growth-of-nashville-decade-of-change.html

For example: Giarratana said that in the past his company, which has built several luxury high-rises across the city, would work on constructing one building at a time. Now, they’re building two at once near Amazon’s future office, with three buildings on the drawing board.

• Like 1

As has been noted before, crowns on residential buildings are very expensive and most if any do not have crowns. Some of the office buildings have crowns,  they are so last century I guess at least in the traditional sense. 

Most all of the new tall residential duildings being built have flat roofs, billionares row in NYC and the new super talls in Chicago are sort of the same way, however some are tapering at the top like the Chicago Spire but I am unsure if that one is going to get built or is already UC.

I do know the Tribune tower is under construction and that will have the closest thing to a crown you will see.