LOCAL & STATE GOVERNMENT INFLUENCE IN GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT

smeagolsfree

I know there has been opposition due to transparency concerns. The neighborhood believes that this was solved without consultation (not that the neighborhood would know what to do with a cap, but I digress). The CM came out against the plan almost immediately because she heard her constituency and wants the process drawn out. I completely agree with the notion that this project should not move forwards without federal funds in place.  Additionally some of the concern is regarding gentrification and protection for the neighborhood as values rise (which honestly can't be saved). The one thing I really don't want to see is the cap (which I dont really agree with at this location either) rejected and the neighborhood turn around and say "look what the interstate has done to our community and nobody is trying to help".

The notion to fixing the inner loop before a cap is built is an interesting one. What can be fixed? IMHO, nothing. The 40 loop that splits downtown from Midtown should not be widened at all. We should remove some of the ramps and we should cap it from at least Demonbruen to Church. Either way, an interstate cap is going to take a significant amount of political power at the state level and I dont know how willing state officials will be.

5 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I know there has been opposition due to transparency concerns. The neighborhood believes that this was solved without consultation (not that the neighborhood would know what to do with a cap, but I digress). The CM came out against the plan almost immediately because she heard her constituency and wants the process drawn out. I completely agree with the notion that this project should not move forwards without federal funds in place.  Additionally some of the concern is regarding gentrification and protection for the neighborhood as values rise (which honestly can't be saved). The one thing I really don't want to see is the cap (which I dont really agree with at this location either) rejected and the neighborhood turn around and say "look what the interstate has done to our community and nobody is trying to help".

The notion to fixing the inner loop before a cap is built is an interesting one. What can be fixed? IMHO, nothing. The 40 loop that splits downtown from Midtown should not be widened at all. We should remove some of the ramps and we should cap it from at least Demonbruen to Church. Either way, an interstate cap is going to take a significant amount of political power at the state level and I dont know how willing state officials will be.

I'm with and not with you on this. There will be more gentrification for this neighborhood if the cap is built. That is the one thing they are trying to avoid as the real estate values will go even higher as it will be a lot more attractive to developers. That is what the community is opposed too.

With the new infrastructure bill, who knows what will come out of that and how the state and local governments will decide to spend the money that comes their way. At some point there will have to be a major realignment or reinvention of the downtown loop and wherever a cap goes, that should be incorporated into that project.

With all of the development coming onto the downtown area a major realignment of interchanges will have to be in the works sooner rather than later.

We are going to have to teach you how to spell Demonbreun Craig. You have been here long enough to learn its "e" before "u". Messing with you my friend!

100% the gentrification will increase with a cap. So I do understand the neighbors concerns there. But I would counter by saying that the housing costs and property values are not going to stagnate without the cap. So how do we improve the neighborhood so that residents will want to remain in the neighborhood (that has been artificially suppressed by the interstate and redlining) once developers move into this area? If the neighborhood has enough features (cap being just one of those features) than families may want to stay longer.

While the infrastructure bill will provide certain monies, If I recall correctly this cap would be paid through a very specific grant regarding interstates and how they destroyed neighborhoods. The same money would not be eligible for the inner loop cap and the same money would not be eligible for affordable housing. I believe that Mayor Cooper's office saw the opportunity to sew a potion of the Nashville community back together by going after these funds. 

55 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

We are going to have to teach you how to spell Demonbreun Craig. You have been here long enough to learn its "e" before "u". Messing with you my friend!

Vanishing Cabinet from Notoriously Morbid September 2020 — The Monkey Is In.  

• Haha 3

Yeah I have to agree on the gentrification is going to happen over there regardless. Developers are throwing money at people and it's hard to turn down. 

Even in the past 2-3 years it's ramped up rapidly over there. All these neighborhoods that are so close to downtown now that it isn't a place to avoid are feeling the effects and not much you can do about it really?

I think capping this would be a good start, just to get people on board on how nice it is to not have a gigantic, noisy roadway tearing your neighborhood apart. Once the benefits are seen then the want and will, will come I think. A build it and they will come situation if you will. 

• Like 1