Memphis International Airport (MEM) News and Updates

VSRJ

Yeah MEM was far from a ghost town pre-pandemic. I've even picked someone up from the airport and was pleasantly surprised by the traffic. It's nowhere near its Northwest/Delta hub days, but that's to be expected. With Southwest and other low-cost carriers increasing the number of direct flights, I'm confident that things will rebound once post-covid travel demand kicks in.

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

Yeah MEM was far from a ghost town pre-pandemic. I've even picked someone up from the airport and was pleasantly surprised by the traffic. It's nowhere near its Northwest/Delta hub days, but that's to be expected. With Southwest and other low-cost carriers increasing the number of direct flights, I'm confident that things will rebound once post-covid travel demand kicks in.

Moving everything to B once the renovation is done is going to remedy the ghost town feel. Before that started, you had Delta way down B. Southwest all by their lonesome over on A and United and American over in C. Everything was spread out.  That 6  to 7 in morning period will see it hopping  when all those hub connectors take off after overnighting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw where Memphis Intl Airport is closed for all passenger flights today (Friday, Feb. 19) due to water pressure issues.  Apparently there are major water issues across the Memphis area. The release says cargo operations are not closed, however I’ve seen that FedEx has suffered severe operations issues at MEM all week necessitating rerouting via its other hub cities. Not a good week for MEM.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another nonstop coming to MEM!

New nonstop MEM-Las Vegas flight set to take off in August

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/06/22/new-nonstop-mem-las-vegas-flight-set-to-take-off.html

A Colorado-based airline is adding another flight option at Memphis International Airport (MEM).

Frontier Airlines announced June 22, that it will begin nonstop flights between MEM and Las Vegas' McCarran International Airport (LAS) starting Aug. 12.

The Las Vegas service — running twice weekly, on Thursday and Sunday — will be Frontier’s third Memphis route. The airline already serves Denver and Orlando from MEM.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Another nonstop coming to MEM!

New nonstop MEM-Las Vegas flight set to take off in August

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/06/22/new-nonstop-mem-las-vegas-flight-set-to-take-off.html

This is not new for Frontier, they have flown it before.

Allegiant makes bank on this route. They fly it 6 days a week during the summer and holidays. In fact, they had set to fly it 6 days a week Summet 2020 before Covid with 2 frequencies on a couple of peak days. 

It is only a matter of time before Southwest adds this. Right now, their fleet scheduling is a mess so it will be into 2022 before any flights happen. 

Allegiant is flying very full birds westward these days from MEM. LAX is at 6 days a week this summer and before Christmas. I got to believe AA gets around to that or Southwest will. Maybe Breeze to Burbank.

I figure Breeze is in MEM's future and is just waiting on the B concourse to finish. 

Edited by Wayward Memphian
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Frontier now adding MEM/MIA

F9 will now serve Denver, Las Vegas, Orlando Intl and Miami Intl. 

I can see Southwest adding Las Vegas in 2022. With the addition of ATL, they seem content on one MCO nonstop daily with some added service here and there.

If Southwest doesn't add TPA back to daily, it is sitting there for Breeze along with New Orleans for them to start Memphis service. I could see them also trying out ORF(Norfolk).

• Like 1

The modernization of the terminal and the right-sizing of MEM have been badly needed for decades. 
This airport will never be a hub or focus city for any carrier other than FedEx.  The passenger numbers just aren’t there. 
MEM needs to attract more than the current 80+ total passenger flights per day. 
If the airport is to grow even slightly,  the economy of Memphis and the mid south region will need significant improvement.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 7:27 AM, dxfret said:

The modernization of the terminal and the right-sizing of MEM have been badly needed for decades. 
This airport will never be a hub or focus city for any carrier other than FedEx.  The passenger numbers just aren’t there. 
MEM needs to attract more than the current 80+ total passenger flights per day. 
If the airport is to grow even slightly,  the economy of Memphis and the mid south region will need significant improvement.

I wouldn't go as far to say,  Memphis will never be a hub or focus city for any other carrier. MEM is prime for it and the Memphis economy is growing significantly. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:01 PM, JTM1 said:

I wouldn't go as far to say,  Memphis will never be a hub or focus city for any other carrier. MEM is prime for it and the Memphis economy is growing significantly. 

Facts and data show that the economy and population of Memphis, and the mid south region, remain stagnant.  

On 9/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, dxfret said:

Facts and data show that the economy and population of Memphis, and the mid south region, remain stagnant.  

Memphis is doubtful as a future hub but low cost carriers can make Memphis a focus.  I still think Breeze can do well here and with some flights to the PNW and Bay Area with their A220s and adding MYS and TPA especially if Southwest doesn't add TPA back.

American has mentioned Memphis several times as a city it sees potential in. That doesn't mean a hub but it may mean more non hub lras than daily directs like the MCO flight we saw this summer. Before Covid, they had all hubs except JFK(covered by LGA) and LAX  connecting to Memphis. I still feel that LAX is still possible. Allegiant is basically flying it near daily half the year along with LAS. Allegiant's flight to LAX and LAS are performing very well. 

Also, more and more people will either fly into or out of MEM as river cruising is set to triple in 2023.

Memphis is still developing as a O&D airport without the pop growth due to it being so stunted for years. Jonesboro is growing a bit with wages increasing, MEM is the default airport for NEA.

9 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

Memphis is doubtful as a future hub but low cost carriers can make Memphis a focus.  I still think Breeze can do well here and with some flights to the PNW and Bay Area with their A220s and adding MYS and TPA especially if Southwest doesn't add TPA back.

American has mentioned Memphis several times as a city it sees potential in. That doesn't mean a hub but it may mean more non hub lras than daily directs like the MCO flight we saw this summer. Before Covid, they had all hubs except JFK(covered by LGA) and LAX  connecting to Memphis. I still feel that LAX is still possible. Allegiant is basically flying it near daily half the year along with LAS. Allegiant's flight to LAX and LAS are performing very well. 

Also, more and more people will either fly into or out of MEM as river cruising is set to triple in 2023.

Memphis is still developing as a O&D airport without the pop growth due to it being so stunted for years. Jonesboro is growing a bit with wages increasing, MEM is the default airport for NEA.

Pay no attention to fret, he gets enjoyment out of pointing out all things negative regarding Memphis and doesn't miss a chance to put Memphis down.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks like Southwest is cutting way back on MEM/MCO nonstops clearly as a means to Boost ATL thru traffic. Last gander at their book engine shows nonstops only on Sat and two of them at that. Nada on Thur, Fri, Sun, and Mon.

BWI isn't showing as a nonstop right now either. Again, I think at the cost of boosting ATL loads. Memphis doesn't need Delta light.

AA will have a field day with DCA service.

Look for Frontier to increase frequency on MEM/MCO

MEM is glaring empty spot on Spirit's station list. Will that change in 2022. Will Memphis gain Breeze in 2022?