Memphis International Airport (MEM) News and Updates

VSRJ

On 12/13/2021 at 8:56 AM, VSRJ said:

It is indeed Spirit and to already served markets so it really doesn't add much in destinations

MCO, LAX, Las Vegas

Southwest did reduce MEM/MCO to Sat only with the latest schedule release. Frontier flys that and Allegaint serves nearby Sanford. This is ho hum and will be a blood bath till one blinks.

Las Vegas and LAX have been huge Allegiant markets for Memphis recently, warranting daily service during certain times of the year at both. Frontier recent started LAS, I would have rather seen AA start LAX.

This Spirit add doesn't really add much. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

It is indeed Spirit and to already served markets so it really doesn't add much in destinations

MCO, LAX, Las Vegas

Southwest did reduce MEM/MCO to Sat only with the latest schedule release. Frontier flys that and Allegaint serves nearby Sanford. This is ho hum and will be a blood bath till one blinks.

Las Vegas and LAX have been huge Allegiant markets for Memphis recently, warranting daily service during certain times of the year at both. Frontier recent started LAS, I would have rather seen AA start LAX.

This Spirit add doesn't really add much. 

Jet Blue is the catch for MI hopefully we can reel them in in 2022 non stop to Boston & New York flights 

With AA calling DL's bluff on their Boston servic(DL keep delaying the start) will DL finally start it and battle AA or fold and concede

AA now serves: 

BOS

LGA(No JFK service for NYC)

DCA

PHL

CLT

MIA

DFW

ORD

PHX

All that's missing is LAX hub wise outside of NYC.

Southwest did not bring back BWI in the latest schedule extention, basically conceding the DC area to AA

Southwest now has MCO and TPA as Saturday only in peak summer. They are retreating and forcing connections via ATL. 

That opens up TPA for Breeze 

Need to land Breeze

AA or their partner Alaska needs to start LAX and Alaska to add SEA and SFO and AA would  have Memphis covered program wise.

14 hours ago, TheExtraEastKid said:

Concourse B Progress December 2021

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Looks great.  Love how they are emphasizing local brands - St Jude, Grizzlies, local beer garden.  Gives the airport much more character and an identity.  The Distillery District is supposed to feature Tennessee wine and liquor such as Old Dominick and Big River products.   I wouldn't mind if they also had Jack Daniels and Dickel, since they are the state's biggest and national brands, but hope they don't have any Middle/East Tennessee local distilleries.  Disbelief is a Memphis based Tequila that they will hopefully have, and could always have 901 Tequila.  I think JT is still a part owner, or at least gets royalties.   I wish they would even take it a step further.  I wish all the food were Memphis originals.  Along with Interstate and Lenny's, you could have Rendezvous, Gus', Gibson's, Makeda's,  and whatever best we have to offer options.  Would definitely make MEM unique and likely favorited by many travelers.  There's some big market airports out there that aren't very nice at all.  Recently travelled to Miami, and their airport was a dump.  Memphis probably has no chance of becoming a hub to a major carrier, but the new concourse and fantastic amenities could increase its chances of being a focus city to get more destinations and connecting flights.  I mean, who likes connecting through Atlanta?  A traveler might see a connecting flight through Memphis and get excited about getting the chance to get some Memphis BBQ and catch some live music.  Or maybe I'm thinking too hard on that and no one will care.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Looks great.  Love how they are emphasizing local brands - St Jude, Grizzlies, local beer garden.  Gives the airport much more character and an identity.  The Distillery District is supposed to feature Tennessee wine and liquor such as Old Dominick and Big River products.   I wouldn't mind if they also had Jack Daniels and Dickel, since they are the state's biggest and national brands, but hope they don't have any Middle/East Tennessee local distilleries.  Disbelief is a Memphis based Tequila that they will hopefully have, and could always have 901 Tequila.  I think JT is still a part owner, or at least gets royalties.   I wish they would even take it a step further.  I wish all the food were Memphis originals.  Along with Interstate and Lenny's, you could have Rendezvous, Gus', Gibson's, Makeda's,  and whatever best we have to offer options.  Would definitely make MEM unique and likely favorited by many travelers.  There's some big market airports out there that aren't very nice at all.  Recently travelled to Miami, and their airport was a dump.  Memphis probably has no chance of becoming a hub to a major carrier, but the new concourse and fantastic amenities could increase its chances of being a focus city to get more destinations and connecting flights.  I mean, who likes connecting through Atlanta?  A traveler might see a connecting flight through Memphis and get excited about getting the chance to get some Memphis BBQ and catch some live music.  Or maybe I'm thinking too hard on that and no one will care.  

Yeah all of this looks great.  And a lot of airports are generic with the same foods etc.  Austin TX has all local foods and live music in their airport and I've always thought it was really cool.  

• Like 1

Those pics are amazing. I worked there years ago. This is a complete retrofit. Distillery district?? Wow. Memphis is definitely turning around. Love ❤️ the new look. Hope we continue to draw new airlines too. The spirit announcement was cool, now let’s get Jet Blue!! 

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I don’t think your overthinking travelers like things to enjoy while waiting so they may chose a route thru Memphis as opposed to another city. The big thing is to have a light rail from airport to downtown that’s the money move. Not sure it will happen but it’s ok to dream. 

• Like 1

Southwest extended their Summer schedule last week. Bad for Memphis.

TPA, ORD and PHC all moved to Saturday only.

BWI does not fly this summer

The single DAL flight is mid day and it's horrible for western connections. 

Southwest blames operational issues. That is code for the MAX 7 having not been certified by the FAA yet and this could be a partial summer schedule. 

Southwest should have been the one adding LAX and LAS daily from Memphis.

No, Memphis will not be a hub but it could be a base for either Allegiant or Breeze(if they move in).  I hope for Breeze. Their A223s are perfect to crank out West  Coast flying. Theirbstated average A223 flight will be 1700 miles to maximize their potential in fuel burn. Check this map

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Mem-san%2Fsea%2Foak%2Fbur%2Fpdx&MS=wls&DU=mi

Couple that with their E jet destinations like TPA, MSY, CHS, ORF and whatever they add.

I would like the end goal to be one of the LCCs grow enough to make MEM go ahead with the SW hall of B renovation so it can call it home. 

Now American has put some emphasis on Memphis. It singled it out as a potential growth city earlier this year when they added Sat only MCO service. With BOS, all that is left is LAX  hubwise(JFK excluded) In a perfect world they would team up with One World partner Alaska and add SEA. I could see some point to point like Mem-AUS/RDU. Memphis is already on the cusp of being a focus city with them. The Cherry on Top would be seasonal British 3x a week to London.

Screenshot_20211218-082725_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Wayward Memphian

A renovated terminal concourse doesn’t mean more air service.  There is not sufficient demand for more flights to/from Memphis.  All the airlines do sophisticated market and economic research and the Memphis market has not measured up.  Without passengers new flights and destinations will not happen.  For this reason most air travel from MEM will usually always require a connection. 

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dxfret said:

There is simply not the demand for more flights to/from Memphis.  A renovated terminal concourse doesn’t mean more air service.  All the airlines do sophisticated market and economic research and the Memphis market doesn't measure up to opportunities in  rapidly growing cities.  Without passenger demand, new flights and destinations will not happen.  For this reason most air travel from MEM will usually require a connection. 

Lol, you keep being you, here and there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that Spirit is expecting to have a greater presence at MEM.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/01/04/spirit-airlines-growth-and-jobs-potential-at-mem.html

For those without a subscription....

Memphis International Airport (MEM) officials have continuously heard the need for more flights, and the airport received a gift right before the holidays with the addition of Spirit Airlines.

The airline is set to bring nonstop service from MEM to three destinations in 2022 and with those flights come local jobs.

Florida-based Spirit — which last month became the ninth airline serving MEM and the first new airline added since 2017 —will have daily flights to Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS) and Orlando International Airport (MCO) starting on April 20 and daily flights to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) beginning June 8.

Erik Hofmeyer, director of communications for Spirit, told the MBJ on Jan. 4 that the airline is planning to add about 30 new positions at MEM. Hofmeyer said Spirit is currently in the request for proposal (RFP) process for selecting a service provider to manage its airport operations at MEM.

The airline looks to hire between 15 to 18 agents to work with travelers at Spirit’s counter and gate plus 14 to 16 employees working the ramp, according to Hofmeyer.

John Kirby, VP of network planning at Spirit, said as its MEM operations expand the airline could need 100 to 200 staff. Kirby said Spirit made the decision about six months ago to come to MEM.

“We’ve been looking at Memphis for a while,” Kirby said. “We do particularly well in markets that are origin-destinations. We offer affordable fares, which allows a broader section of the population to travel more frequently as well. Memphis is a place that people want to come to and enjoy the vibrant nightlife in the Downtown area.”

Delta moves ahead with its previously planned flight service to Boston, starting in September.  Both AA and Delta will have nonstop flights between Memphis and Boston next year. It would be good news if MEM announced a nonstop international flight this year.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/01/07/delta-memphis-to-boston-scheduled-september.html

For those without a subscription...

Memphis International Airport (MEM) is set to receive a flight that was delayed by the pandemic.

Kyla Ross, a spokesperson for Delta Air Lines, told the MBJ the airline plans to launch its daily nonstop service between MEM and Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) starting Sept. 6, 2022.

That follows an American Airlines announcement in December that American will begin nonstop Memphis to Boston service starting June 9, 2022 at MEM.

Delta had announced in March 2020 — before the pandemic fully ramped up in the U.S. — that the Memphis-to-Boston flight was to begin in October 2020. However, the airline put the route on hold indefinitely due to the pandemic.

In August 2021, a Delta spokesperson told MBJ that a Memphis-to-Boston flight was planned to launch in March 2022, but Delta rescheduled the launch date again.

“We continually make adjustments to our schedule based on demand trends, as we’ve done throughout the pandemic,” Ross said.

MBJ reported in August 2019 that MEM had been working to bring back a direct flight between Memphis and Boston for years. Boston ranked No. 3 on MEM’s list of top unserved destinations, per airport officials. Glen Thomas, director of strategic marketing and communications at MEM, said Boston service is something that MEM had lacked for years. Direct flights to Boston were discontinued by Delta in January 2014 as part of major cuts at its former Memphis hub.

Thomas said an average of 62 passengers travel between Memphis and Boston each day by air. Memphis Tourism data showed that roughly 37,000 visitors from Boston visited Memphis in 2018, spending around $4.4 million in the Memphis market, based on credit card data.

“We embrace any additional service additions from our carriers, especially to previously unserved markets like Boston," Thomas said. "This is a market that has been on our top 10 unserved destinations list for several years, so adding Delta service would be a tremendous development for our passengers.”

BOS will be a blood bath, Delta would have kicked the can down the road again without AA entering. Someone will blink by early 2022. I was hoping that AA would have great success and JetBlue take it over in the their partnership with larger aircraft. 

I would not be shocked is AA added AUS, RDU and even TPA once the airlines gets the staffing issues lined out and business traffic picks up. 

LAX is now tricky with AA. It would take a mainline A319 or better. You have Delta on it except Saturday and Spirit is starting it out daily and then there's Allegiant.

Allefiant has had tremendous success on MEM/LAX. It has consistently been one of their highest load performers over the past year. They have now increased it to daily as well starting in mid May till the end of the their current booking window. and that includes two days with two flights 

They have also done the same with LAS, daily with a couple of days seeing two flights. They be running a red eye to Memphis on Sunday and Wednesday nights and arriving at 5:15. 

They are also trying to fend off Spirit starting FLL by taking it daily during this time as well. 

And... I have to believe MEM has to be get Breeze soon.  I can see them flying any of these with their A223s:

SAN, OAK, SEA, TPA 

And these with their E -Jets:

SAT, MSY, ORF, PIT, CHS, TPA 

They are talking a good game with 70 cities by 2024 

https://simpleflying.com/breeze-airways-plans/

They have a good product, I've flown them out of XNA. Neeleman knows his stuff.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:08 PM, Wayward Memphian said:

BOS will be a blood bath, Delta would have kicked the can down the road again without AA entering. Someone will blink by early 2022. I was hoping that AA would have great success and JetBlue take it over in the their partnership with larger aircraft. 

I would not be shocked is AA added AUS, RDU and even TPA once the airlines gets the staffing issues lined out and business traffic picks up. 

LAX is now tricky with AA. It would take a mainline A319 or better. You have Delta on it except Saturday and Spirit is starting it out daily and then there's Allegiant.

Allefiant has had tremendous success on MEM/LAX. It has consistently been one of their highest load performers over the past year. They have now increased it to daily as well starting in mid May till the end of the their current booking window. and that includes two days with two flights 

They have also done the same with LAS, daily with a couple of days seeing two flights. They be running a red eye to Memphis on Sunday and Wednesday nights and arriving at 5:15. 

They are also trying to fend off Spirit starting FLL by taking it daily during this time as well. 

And... I have to believe MEM has to be get Breeze soon.  I can see them flying any of these with their A223s:

SAN, OAK, SEA, TPA 

And these with their E -Jets:

SAT, MSY, ORF, PIT, CHS, TPA 

They are talking a good game with 70 cities by 2024 

https://simpleflying.com/breeze-airways-plans/

They have a good product, I've flown them out of XNA. Neeleman knows his stuff.

I believe AA will win the BOS war and if Delta is squeezed out, I also hope JetBlue will fill the spot.  MEM  has done an excellent job in turning the airport into an origin and destination airport, but MEM need some international flights.

Over the last year two years, I have read several articles that involved foreign money being invested in Memphis and I know that leads to foreign business travel. 

In 2019 ,I read an article about Spirit and it appears that Spirit was looking to expand its international flights into Europe. Right now, their only international flights are in Latin American countries. The optimist in me  believe, they're moving into  MEM with the future intent to add European international flights. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, JTM1 said:

I believe AA will win the BOS war and if Delta is squeezed out, I also hope JetBlue will fill the spot.  MEM  has done an excellent job in turning the airport into an origin and destination airport, but MEM need some international flights.

Over the last year two years, I have read several articles that involved foreign money being invested in Memphis and I know that leads to foreign business travel. 

In 2019 ,I read an article about Spirit and it appears that Spirit was looking to expand its international flights into Europe. Right now, their only international flights are in Latin American countries. The optimist in me  believe, they're moving into  MEM with the future intent to add European international flights. 

Spirit does have a plane or one in order that could do Transatlantic at their density.

Frontier has the A321XLR on order and could possibly do Memphis to London in the typical summer season. It would struggle on the London to Memphis segment in winter. Frontier also has a European sibling in Wizz Air to partner with.

Breeze's owner Neeleman wants a long range A220. Airbus hasn't made it yet. It could possibly do Memphis-Ireland/UK when it comes about. He has had his time at TAP Portugal and his ownership of Azul in Brazil opens up partnerships 

Outside of those, your best bet is British or soon to be  sure leaving  Star Alliance and entering One World Air Lingus particularly if AA keeps growing it's presence in Memphis aike adding RDU and AUS and their FF base in the process. Are Linus has the long range A321s and Dublin would offer up all kinds if connections, particularly if you don't mind using Ryan Air once there.

It’s ok to dream but it’s totally unrealistic to expect any international passenger service on any airline from Memphis. The passenger demand doesn’t exist at any season of the year now and for the foreseeable future.  Last year Air Canada withdrew flying from MEM.  There may be an occasional travel company flight to Cancun, but that’s the extent of international flying from MEM — unless you are a FedEx package.

Today MEM still lacks nonstop flights to many important US domestic cities. That’s where ultra low cost carriers like Spirit, Allegiant and Breeze might work in the future.  The passenger demand needs to be there for domestic flights too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dxfret said:

It’s ok to dream but it’s totally unrealistic to expect any international passenger service on any airline from Memphis. The passenger demand doesn’t exist at any season of the year now and for the foreseeable future.  Last year Air Canada withdrew flying from MEM.  There may be an occasional travel company flight to Cancun, but that’s the extent of international flying from MEM — unless you are a FedEx package.

Today MEM still lacks nonstop flights to many important US domestic cities. That’s where ultra low cost carriers like Spirit, Allegiant and Breeze might work in the future.  The passenger demand needs to be there for domestic flights too. 

Keep on keeping on

46 minutes ago, dxfret said:

And?    Do you ever post  on any other board, like where you actually live?   Or is this just a troll account.   Dude, sorry Memphis hurt you somehow-  maybe you should seek some professional help to get through it.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

And?    Do you ever post  on any other board, like where you actually live?   Or is this just a troll account.   Dude, sorry Memphis hurt you somehow-  maybe you should seek some professional help to get through it.

He does post in the Nashville forum, But Every Single Memphis Post is negative, condescending, or pessimistic.  Just loves to take digs at Memphis.  He must have some form of derangement with Memphis.  

• Like 4