Memphis International Airport (MEM) News and Updates

VSRJ

27 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

I remember the city had propsed a subway/light rail from the Airport to Downtown. That's more likely dead at this point. I was told by someone on a forum that there's a existing tunnel near Airport. Could be just a rumor

Yeah, there was a study and the proposal, but the proposal never went anywhere.  Here's an article about it from 20 years ago:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/light-rail-plan-lays-tracks-to-the-airport

Would have been really cool if it had happened.  Not a lot of midsize cities with rail to their airport.  I know St Louis and Baltimore has it.  I was in Phoenix and San Diego recently, and both of their light rails go right by the airport, just doesn't go to the airport.  

I've never heard of any tunnel by the airort.  If there is a tunnel, I think it would be more likely for water drainage as opposed to rail.  The tunnels downtown that replaced the Gayoso Bayou are large enough to walk through.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, there was a study and the proposal, but the proposal never went anywhere.  Here's an article about it from 20 years ago:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/light-rail-plan-lays-tracks-to-the-airport

Would have been really cool if it had happened.  Not a lot of midsize cities with rail to their airport.  I know St Louis and Baltimore has it.  I was in Phoenix and San Diego recently, and both of their light rails go right by the airport, just doesn't go to the airport.  

I've never heard of any tunnel by the airort.  If there is a tunnel, I think it would be more likely for water drainage as opposed to rail.  The tunnels downtown that replaced the Gayoso Bayou are large enough to walk through.  

Wow. Development in the early 2000s in Memphis was ambitious.  I do remember MATA having on there site plans for a light rail station/stop at the Greyhound station on Airways when it was under construction.  This was somewhere in 2010/2011

On 11/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, VSRJ said:

This article details the specifics of MEM's Master Plan. A few highlights of the landside components:

Phase 1 (5-10 years out) 

• Demolish A and C concourses 
  • Build new rental car center at former Concourse A and convert former Concourse C to surface parking lot 
  • Convert three other areas around the garages to surface lots to divert employee and public parking during construction and handle future overflow 

Phase 2 (10-20 years out) 

• “Re-life” or replace short-term parking garage 
  • Build new parking garage on site of Concourse C 
  • Reserve land adjacent to new garage for possible hotel development 

I do wonder if they will regret demolishing A and C concourses should traffic increase significantly in the next 20 years. Hopefully they'll reserve space for concourse additions/expansions should the need arise.

They have up to 12 more potential gates in the untouched part of B.  That would be 35ish total That should be enough for a very long time.  After that a new satellite Concourse could be added to the south. I get that gates can be underused most of the day but you need more for those peak periods like 6am. Memphis had/may still have lots of remain over nights, having more than you really need allows greater scheduling flexibility for airline flight planners and can get you a flight that otherwise may not happen.

Shocked that Allegiant hasn't based planes at MEM yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that Spirit will finally launch their nonstops to LAX in April. The flight is bookable in their site. 

If the sale to JetBlue is approved and they keep the routes that Spirit is going to be flying, I can see their route map like something like this in a couple of years

MEM-BOS/JFK/MCO/FLL/LAS/LAX 

I'd hope they'd transition a few of those to their A223s. 

AA's MEM/BOS flight had loads at 87% for June and 79% for July. I hope that gets back in the high 80s. Either way, the load factors were high compared to other Republic operates regional flights for AA. Now no one knows about yield yet.

A 3,000 ft Chili's restaurant will be opening early 2023 in the rotunda area.

Ramblin Joe's Coffee is scheduled to open in March 2023.

There is another local concept that will be opening, but it has not been announced yet.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/11/15/chilis-memphis-international-airport-hiring-vendor.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Delta has yet again  loaded up  a MEM/BOS nonstop to start upnon May 8th. It appears to arrive late, RON and leave early.

Spirit appears to be holding to an April start on nonstop to  LAX. This has seemingly flown under the media radar. But, it is bookable. Spirit has higher load factors at Memphis over than Frontier. 

Screenshot_20221226-215612_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Wayward Memphian

• 1 month later...

Exciting developments in the works for MEM - hopefully they can win some of this funding:

Memphis International Airport (MEM) seeks $30M in federal funding for terminal renovations

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/02/01/mem-seeks-federal-funding-for-terminal-upgrades.html

Memphis International Airport (MEM) officials have put together a 20-year master plan, which includes a vision for a complete modernization of MEM's main terminal. And airport officials hope to have as much federal funding as possible to help with its projects.

Scott Brockman, president and CEO of the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority (MSCAA), recently told MBJ that the $1.2 trillion Bipartisan Infrastructure Law — which is designed to help revamp the country's infrastructure — could assist MEM in its ongoing modernization efforts. In the massive bill, $25 billion was allotted to airports and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) facilities. The $25 billion in funding consists of $15 billion for airport-related projects; $5 billion for airport terminals; and $5 billion for air traffic facilities.

Brockman said the $15 billion for airport-related projects is to be distributed over five years through the Airport Infrastructure Grant (AIG) initiative, while $5 billion is earmarked under the Airport Terminal Program (ATP).

“We’re going to take advantage of both of those pieces,” Brockman said.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty sure that MEM bested Jan 2019 enplanment numbers by at least 3K. Less non rev flyers than in 2019 keep the gap a bit closer.

This is important as it marks that growth is surpassing pre-covid levels and in spite of decreased business flying post-covid. 2023 looks to be the busiest since the dehub and with the new B open. 

On 2/2/2023 at 1:13 PM, VSRJ said:

Exciting developments in the works for MEM - hopefully they can win some of this funding:

Memphis International Airport (MEM) seeks $30M in federal funding for terminal renovations

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/02/01/mem-seeks-federal-funding-for-terminal-upgrades.html

Memphis airport receives funds for terminal upgrades.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/2023/02/27/memphis-airport-receives-federal-funding-expanded-capacity/69949884007/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Starting June 15th, MEM have service to Raleigh-Durham through Houston based Avelo Airlines on a 189-seat Boeing Next Gen 737.  Is set to run M-F.  This will be MEM's 10th carrier.  RDU is a Hub for Avelo, which would provide connections to Ft Lauderdale, Ft Myers, New Haven, Orlando, Sarasota, Tampa, & West Palm Beach

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/2023/03/15/avelo-airlines-nonstop-flights-memphis-to-raleigh-durham-airports/70007672007/

image.png.7def041140793e26e7efc23bb7a1a584.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Starting June 15th, MEM have service to Raleigh-Durham through Houston based Avelo Airlines on a 189-seat Boeing Next Gen 737.  Is set to run M-F.  This will be MEM's 10th carrier.  RDU is a Hub for Avelo, which would provide connections to Ft Lauderdale, Ft Myers, New Haven, Orlando, Sarasota, Tampa, & West Palm Beach

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/2023/03/15/avelo-airlines-nonstop-flights-memphis-to-raleigh-durham-airports/70007672007/

image.png.7def041140793e26e7efc23bb7a1a584.png

Great news! And a step in the right direction. Now let’s get Jet Blue!!

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Great news! And a step in the right direction. Now let’s get Jet Blue!!

The timing for that Avelo flight is... well, not good.  And... on a 737. I'll hope they pull down some monthly load factors in the mid 50s to 60 % range and sell it's viability to an operator like Breeze and their smaller E Jets once Avelo pulls the plug or AA steps in and adds a Sunday thru Friday 76 seater to it like they have AUS.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the March stats for the airport, it was within 5k of hitting 200k enplanments for March.  That outpaced 2019 by several  thousand. 2023 as a whole is outpacing 2019. 

It is important that Memphis gets it's Terminal done to match the Concourse  B improvements,  that on site hotel , new car rental garage facility, and develop plans to finish the SW hall of the B concourse in the late 2020s. I think more gates for RON planes helps with service. 

How's Boston you may ask? Here are the load factors available so far for AA by Einlria on the Patreon platform:

MEM Jun 87(-8) Jul 79(**) Aug 79(-15) Sep 73(**) Oct 82(**) Nov 70(**) Dec 67(**) Jan 43(**)

https://www.patreon.com/Enilria/posts

That Jan number is horrific as is much of the Winter. Let's hope that is a seasonal anomaly especially with Delta adding it.

Memphis also need to land service with Breeze.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:54 PM, Wayward Memphian said:

Delta has yet again  loaded up  a MEM/BOS nonstop to start upnon May 8th. It appears to arrive late, RON and leave early.

Spirit appears to be holding to an April start on nonstop to  LAX. This has seemingly flown under the media radar. But, it is bookable. Spirit has higher load factors at Memphis over than Frontier. 

Screenshot_20221226-215612_Chrome.jpg

Officially announced.  Spirit to have daily flights to LAX, beginning in June.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/35886/spirit-airlines-to-launch-memphis-los-angeles-nonstop

<strong>A Spirit Airlines jet approaches Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia, Feb. 24, 2021. Spirit Airlines will soon offer daily nonstop service between Memphis and Los Angeles.</strong>&nbsp;(AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

• Like 1

Unfortunately for Memphis, I think Nashville has stolen a lot of the traffic from Memphis as well as a lot of the regional routes. I do not keep up with the stats the way that some of the guys on the board do in Nashville, but March was 1.9 million passengers and May is on track for over 2 million passengers with no airline hub. 

Metro keeps pouring money into the airport and I think that may be the only way to keep up with other cities. There are plans now to extend one of the runways for the planned Asia flights and an eventual 2nd terminal. They have added gates now and I think they are up to 70 at this point in time or will be. I think that has to be the goal of Memphis. Many of the folks that now fly out of Nashville come from Indiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia and the rest of TN. The flights are more available to the rest of the US than Charlotte and in many cases cheaper and are more on time. I have friends that live in Indiana that fly out of Nashville all the time to go to Vegas.

MEM is moving forward with the 150 million phase 1 of the Terminal redo.

March showed Memphis need way more parking.

Through March 2023 MEM has had 497,211 total enplanements(passenger boarding a flight only) for 2023.  That is a gain compared to 492,626 in 2019 at this time.

March only numbers (April is not posted yet) for enplanements at Memphis was 195,134 this year compared to pre pandemic 2019's 193,605. 

For bigger numbers like overall passengers it is roughly double these numbers. Example, departments for March 2023 was 199k and change. So... roughly  394K total passengers.

The airline industry is highly constrained for any growth at the moment. Lack of pilots, increased costs including insane new pilot pay contracts for the majors, new plane delivery delays,  fuel prices ect, ect ect are greatly impacting all carriers old an new.

See how few new Allegiant routes were added this year. 

The Avelo route was odd to start with, timing horrible and there was another factor I can't get into. 

• Like 1

While one can claim BNA is not a hub in the traditional sense, that isn't necessarily true.

Southwest connects a good many folks via BNA just like they do at places like STL and ATL. Those numbers helps boost those BNA stats as they offload and board their connecting flight.

You almost limit the MEM numbers to O&D only as their are very few connecting passengers though a bet a few pass through on Southwest without actually changing planes. 

That said, there's no doubt that Nashville also has more O & D traffic and it is growing.  But... those numbers are buried in the overall stats.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:53 AM, Wayward Memphian said:

MEM is moving forward with the 150 million phase 1 of the Terminal redo.

March showed Memphis need way more parking.

Through March 2023 MEM has had 497,211 total enplanements(passenger boarding a flight only) for 2023.  That is a gain compared to 492,626 in 2019 at this time.

March only numbers (April is not posted yet) for enplanements at Memphis was 195,134 this year compared to pre pandemic 2019's 193,605. 

For bigger numbers like overall passengers it is roughly double these numbers. Example, departments for March 2023 was 199k and change. So... roughly  394K total passengers.

The airline industry is highly constrained for any growth at the moment. Lack of pilots, increased costs including insane new pilot pay contracts for the majors, new plane delivery delays,  fuel prices ect, ect ect are greatly impacting all carriers old an new.

See how few new Allegiant routes were added this year. 

The Avelo route was odd to start with, timing horrible and there was another factor I can't get into. 

Brent Taylor and Mark White were authors of new legislation to lower the jet fuel tax for FedEx. It was  bipartisan too.   My take away is that Memphis is about to land a passenger airline.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/business/article/36003/tennessee-lawmakers-fedex-jet-fuel-tax-general-assembly

This is what Taylor  said. image.png.16647f139c94d22dedb9e000ca9c6739.png

Edited by JTM1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Brent Taylor and Mark White were authors of new legislation to lower the jet fuel tax for FedEx. It was  bipartisan too.   My take away is that Memphis is about to land a passenger airline.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/business/article/36003/tennessee-lawmakers-fedex-jet-fuel-tax-general-assembly

This is what Taylor  said. image.png.16647f139c94d22dedb9e000ca9c6739.png

Great news! We need a passenger airline headquarters here 

• Like 1