Memphis International Airport (MEM) News and Updates

VSRJ

27 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

I remember the city had propsed a subway/light rail from the Airport to Downtown. That's more likely dead at this point. I was told by someone on a forum that there's a existing tunnel near Airport. Could be just a rumor

Yeah, there was a study and the proposal, but the proposal never went anywhere.  Here's an article about it from 20 years ago:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/light-rail-plan-lays-tracks-to-the-airport

Would have been really cool if it had happened.  Not a lot of midsize cities with rail to their airport.  I know St Louis and Baltimore has it.  I was in Phoenix and San Diego recently, and both of their light rails go right by the airport, just doesn't go to the airport.  

I've never heard of any tunnel by the airort.  If there is a tunnel, I think it would be more likely for water drainage as opposed to rail.  The tunnels downtown that replaced the Gayoso Bayou are large enough to walk through.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, there was a study and the proposal, but the proposal never went anywhere.  Here's an article about it from 20 years ago:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/light-rail-plan-lays-tracks-to-the-airport

Would have been really cool if it had happened.  Not a lot of midsize cities with rail to their airport.  I know St Louis and Baltimore has it.  I was in Phoenix and San Diego recently, and both of their light rails go right by the airport, just doesn't go to the airport.  

I've never heard of any tunnel by the airort.  If there is a tunnel, I think it would be more likely for water drainage as opposed to rail.  The tunnels downtown that replaced the Gayoso Bayou are large enough to walk through.  

Wow. Development in the early 2000s in Memphis was ambitious.  I do remember MATA having on there site plans for a light rail station/stop at the Greyhound station on Airways when it was under construction.  This was somewhere in 2010/2011

On 11/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, VSRJ said:

This article details the specifics of MEM's Master Plan. A few highlights of the landside components:

Phase 1 (5-10 years out) 

• Demolish A and C concourses 
  • Build new rental car center at former Concourse A and convert former Concourse C to surface parking lot 
  • Convert three other areas around the garages to surface lots to divert employee and public parking during construction and handle future overflow 

Phase 2 (10-20 years out) 

• “Re-life” or replace short-term parking garage 
  • Build new parking garage on site of Concourse C 
  • Reserve land adjacent to new garage for possible hotel development 

I do wonder if they will regret demolishing A and C concourses should traffic increase significantly in the next 20 years. Hopefully they'll reserve space for concourse additions/expansions should the need arise.

They have up to 12 more potential gates in the untouched part of B.  That would be 35ish total That should be enough for a very long time.  After that a new satellite Concourse could be added to the south. I get that gates can be underused most of the day but you need more for those peak periods like 6am. Memphis had/may still have lots of remain over nights, having more than you really need allows greater scheduling flexibility for airline flight planners and can get you a flight that otherwise may not happen.

Shocked that Allegiant hasn't based planes at MEM yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that Spirit will finally launch their nonstops to LAX in April. The flight is bookable in their site. 

If the sale to JetBlue is approved and they keep the routes that Spirit is going to be flying, I can see their route map like something like this in a couple of years

MEM-BOS/JFK/MCO/FLL/LAS/LAX 

I'd hope they'd transition a few of those to their A223s. 

AA's MEM/BOS flight had loads at 87% for June and 79% for July. I hope that gets back in the high 80s. Either way, the load factors were high compared to other Republic operates regional flights for AA. Now no one knows about yield yet.

A 3,000 ft Chili's restaurant will be opening early 2023 in the rotunda area.

Ramblin Joe's Coffee is scheduled to open in March 2023.

There is another local concept that will be opening, but it has not been announced yet.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/11/15/chilis-memphis-international-airport-hiring-vendor.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Delta has yet again  loaded up  a MEM/BOS nonstop to start upnon May 8th. It appears to arrive late, RON and leave early.

Spirit appears to be holding to an April start on nonstop to  LAX. This has seemingly flown under the media radar. But, it is bookable. Spirit has higher load factors at Memphis over than Frontier. 

Screenshot_20221226-215612_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Wayward Memphian

• 1 month later...

Exciting developments in the works for MEM - hopefully they can win some of this funding:

Memphis International Airport (MEM) seeks $30M in federal funding for terminal renovations

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/02/01/mem-seeks-federal-funding-for-terminal-upgrades.html

Memphis International Airport (MEM) officials have put together a 20-year master plan, which includes a vision for a complete modernization of MEM's main terminal. And airport officials hope to have as much federal funding as possible to help with its projects.

Scott Brockman, president and CEO of the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority (MSCAA), recently told MBJ that the $1.2 trillion Bipartisan Infrastructure Law — which is designed to help revamp the country's infrastructure — could assist MEM in its ongoing modernization efforts. In the massive bill, $25 billion was allotted to airports and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) facilities. The $25 billion in funding consists of $15 billion for airport-related projects; $5 billion for airport terminals; and $5 billion for air traffic facilities.

Brockman said the $15 billion for airport-related projects is to be distributed over five years through the Airport Infrastructure Grant (AIG) initiative, while $5 billion is earmarked under the Airport Terminal Program (ATP).

“We’re going to take advantage of both of those pieces,” Brockman said.