Memphis International Airport (MEM) News and Updates

VSRJ

On 5/22/2023 at 9:23 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

The airport, per the video, is in growth mode. Good deal. The landscaping and infrastructure around the airport (Plough Blvd) needs drastic help. Tom Lee isn’t the only front porch.

I agree. I wonder whatever become of the aerotropolis plan. 

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2011/feb/4/aerotropolis-initiative-to-develop-master-plan/print

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

They made it.  Final plan came out in 2014, in all of its 265 pages of glory.  Please thoroughly investigate it and give us a detailed report next week.

https://memphismpo.org/sites/default/files/images/initiatives/memphis_aerotropolis_finalReport_lores.pdf

I haven't read it, so no clue how much has been realized.  Grand Master Plans are usually visions, pie-in-the-sky, and plans become outdated, impractical, or there's inadequate funding, or new government officials take over, and its not a priority or they don't have the same vision.  I bet there's some good ideas in it, though.  It would have been cool, back when cities across the country were groveling and trying to land the Amazon HQ2, if Memphis would have made a proposal to be the home for the future Amazon Air.  I think Amazon was still shipping everything through FedEx, but it was obvious they wanted to do it themselves.  Amazon had a falling out with FedEx, over I don't know what, as they were phasing them out and they put the Amazon Air Hub at Cincy/N Kentucky, along with DHL.   I think there's enough room on the vacant land south of the airport to add another runway, but would require Shelby & Holmes to go under the runway.  Having both FedEx and Amazon Air would have been huge and greatly multiplied the attraction for companies to bring a presence to Memphis.  

6 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

They made it.  Final plan came out in 2014, in all of its 265 pages of glory.  Please thoroughly investigate it and give us a detailed report next week.

https://memphismpo.org/sites/default/files/images/initiatives/memphis_aerotropolis_finalReport_lores.pdf

I haven't read it, so no clue how much has been realized.  Grand Master Plans are usually visions, pie-in-the-sky, and plans become outdated, impractical, or there's inadequate funding, or new government officials take over, and its not a priority or they don't have the same vision.  I bet there's some good ideas in it, though.  It would have been cool, back when cities across the country were groveling and trying to land the Amazon HQ2, if Memphis would have made a proposal to be the home for the future Amazon Air.  I think Amazon was still shipping everything through FedEx, but it was obvious they wanted to do it themselves.  Amazon had a falling out with FedEx, over I don't know what, as they were phasing them out and they put the Amazon Air Hub at Cincy/N Kentucky, along with DHL.   I think there's enough room on the vacant land south of the airport to add another runway, but would require Shelby & Holmes to go under the runway.  Having both FedEx and Amazon Air would have been huge and greatly multiplied the attraction for companies to bring a presence to Memphis.  

Thank you, I will look this over.  The $300 million de-icing facility has raised the bar for the airport, because I remember the Sec of Transportation came to Memphis for its opening. You mentioned Amazon, I believe the airport sold some property, off of Airways. to a company that was affiliated with Amazon.  Honestly, I am glad that Memphis didn't get the Amazon HQ2, because Nashville is going to be left holding the bag for all of that office space. 

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

Thank you, I will look this over.  The $300 million de-icing facility has raised the bar for the airport, because I remember the Sec of Transportation came to Memphis for its opening. You mentioned Amazon, I believe the airport sold some property, off of Airways. to a company that was affiliated with Amazon.  Honestly, I am glad that Memphis didn't get the Amazon HQ2, because Nashville is going to be left holding the bag for all of that office space. 

Yeah, Memphis was never capable of landing the HQ2.  It was originally awarded to NYC, but AOC threw a fit about it, so they said fine, we will look elsewhere.  They decided to split it up into two different cities, being DC & Nashville.  But, that wasn't what I was referring too.  I was talking about the Amazon Air Hub, which landed in Cincy.  

1 hour ago, Nothingspectacular said:

Using the term “aerotropolis” was a huge mistake, especially so producing this report just one year after Delta de-hubbed the airport.  Lots of bad blood still exists between Amazon and FedEx.   

I don't think the aerotropolis term had much to do with being the Northwest/Delta hub.  More so with FedEx.  I think the term was describing the airport and the surrounding logistical businesses.  All the warehouses, trucking, and rail components around the vicinity of the airport.  

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, JTM1 said:

The route is doomed as Avelo will suspend it with no plans to restart it. Consider it "inside baseball" for the reasons why. If it shows promise, maybe Breeze will finally inter the market and put an E190 on it with a nice coastal tag on the back end. The top 25 markets not served is littered with places Breeze has set up shop.

5 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

The route is doomed as Avelo will suspend it with no plans to restart it. Consider it "inside baseball" for the reasons why. If it shows promise, maybe Breeze will finally inter the market and put an E190 on it with a nice coastal tag on the back end. The top 25 markets not served is littered with places Breeze has set up shop.

Personally, I believe Breeze would be a better option. 

16 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Personally, I believe Breeze would be a better option. 

If you look at the Top 25 current unserved markets, MEM and Breeze would seem like a no brainer especially if you look at their east coast cities, their A223s and the needs of MEM on the west coast. 

JAX-MEM- (SEA, PDX, others) are screaming  "Breeze Thru" at 2 and 3 times a week.  ORF-MEM-SAN does as well. 

On 6/16/2023 at 12:22 PM, Wayward Memphian said:

If you look at the Top 25 current unserved markets, MEM and Breeze would seem like a no brainer especially if you look at their east coast cities, their A223s and the needs of MEM on the west coast. 

JAX-MEM- (SEA, PDX, others) are screaming  "Breeze Thru" at 2 and 3 times a week.  ORF-MEM-SAN does as well. 

I have yet to fly Breeze, but my brother-in-law has nothing but good things to say about the service they provide. 

• 2 months later...

Time for a little 2023 to 2019 comparison for July

July 2019

94 flights, 212,094 enplanements

July 2023

85 flights, 224,211 enplanements.

That's a (ballparkin') 12k or 5% passenger enplanement gain. 

Less flights which means some upgauging of equipment.

Who's winning on Boston? That's tricky. I do not believe that both carriers will continue to offer it. Someone will fold.  Sept is the dog days of air travel right up there with the winter doldrums of late Jan and Feb.  Lets peak in to MEM to BOS on this upcoming Monday. First the current situation on AA's flight. Crappy 1st Class bookings.

1348580619_Screenshot_20230908_093815_AmericanAirlines.thumb.jpg.cf9e03d531a91cf819851c4456b770a3.jpg

Screenshot_20230908_093825_American Airlines.jpg

Edited by Wayward Memphian

Now for Delta, decent 1st Class bookings

Put those two flights together and you have a really solid flight on 1 RJ for the doldrum season at 70 total.  Those together in peak season would make  a decent Delta A221 (108 seats in 2x3 configuration ) flight with a RON in Memphis.

Delta needs to win this fight IMO.

1318662941_Screenshot_20230908_093858_FlyDelta.thumb.jpg.8676ad13217eca7b1db498c339ee593d.jpg410217278_Screenshot_20230908_093906_FlyDelta.thumb.jpg.21953bf4d11110b3bb7347934b6e3f84.jpg

Edited by Wayward Memphian

• 2 months later...

Premium article, don't have a subscription, but very surprising.  Possible Memphis to Paris starting in 2025.  The plan being discussed includes FedEx guaranteeing a set amount of Cargo. Memphis International neither confirmed nor denied a possible flight with Air France. 

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/article/40072/memphis-could-have-nonstop-to-paris-in-year-or-two?utm_source=trending_now&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=trending_now

• Like 2

New look at the redesigned ticketing terminal:

image.thumb.jpeg.096b3add549ae61909bf48e9f7b4fd73.jpeg

Airport begins first step to remake ticketing terminal, security

https://dailymemphian.com/section/businesstransportationlogistics/article/40185/memphis-international-airport-ticketing-terminal-remake

In January, bids will be awarded for the first phase of work to renovate the ticketing and security terminal — essentially the front door of the city’s iconic martini-glass-styled airport — by extending the structure out into what are now the roads for dropping passengers off on the upper deck and meeting them outside baggage claim on the lower level.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Premium article, don't have a subscription, but very surprising.  Possible Memphis to Paris starting in 2025.  The plan being discussed includes FedEx guaranteeing a set amount of Cargo. Memphis International neither confirmed nor denied a possible flight with Air France. 

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/article/40072/memphis-could-have-nonstop-to-paris-in-year-or-two?utm_source=trending_now&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=trending_now

This is going to be interesting to follow, because Fred Smith is getting involved.  France will be the honored country for Memphis in May and the  $750 million fiber optics deal with the  French company aren't just coincidences.  

On 11/30/2023 at 1:07 PM, JTM1 said:

This is going to be interesting to follow, because Fred Smith is getting involved.  France will be the honored country for Memphis in May and the  $750 million fiber optics deal with the  French company aren't just coincidences.  

Paris is a bit of a surprise considering the amount of tourism from the UK  would otherwise suggest London being a better option for more passengers.

In case you all don't know, the NL Gov't is really clamping down on AMS flights as they have gone climate crisis crazy. Fed Ex promising full bellies to a cargo hub certainly subsidizes the passenger end.  Of Course, AF has Delta as a partner and  a share of ownership.  Delta's marketshare in Memphis has eroded quite a bit since the de hub.

I assumed BA might have been interestrd n LHR/MEM with the A321XLR but they are underperforming on promised range and the B787s are too much plane

American has pulled the plug on making AUS a bit of a connecting hub. That meant the AUS/MEM flight bit the dust. That was losing money on all kinds of fronts. The worse performing hub for a major airline now is Delta in Seattle. 

10 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

Paris is a bit of a surprise considering the amount of tourism from the UK  would otherwise suggest London being a better option for more passengers.

In case you all don't know, the NL Gov't is really clamping down on AMS flights as they have gone climate crisis crazy. Fed Ex promising full bellies to a cargo hub certainly subsidizes the passenger end.  Of Course, AF has Delta as a partner and  a share of ownership.  Delta's marketshare in Memphis has eroded quite a bit since the de hub.

I assumed BA might have been interestrd n LHR/MEM with the A321XLR but they are underperforming on promised range and the B787s are too much plane

American has pulled the plug on making AUS a bit of a connecting hub. That meant the AUS/MEM flight bit the dust. That was losing money on all kinds of fronts. The worse performing hub for a major airline now is Delta in Seattle. 

Apparently, airline companies can pay a Memphis company to dehydrate grass clippings and turds, compress them into blocks, and store them in a warehouse in Pine Bluff, and they will be forgiven for burning up jet fuel. Maybe Memphis can get more international flights if other countries can send their grass clippings and turds to Memphis to turn into bricks,  Too bad they can’t build houses with the turd blocks.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2023/Graphyte-signs-first-carbon-removal-purchase-agreement-with-American-Airlines-CORP-OTH-11/default.aspx#:~:text=Memphis%2C TN %26 Fort Worth%2C,be delivered in early 2025.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 12:26 PM, Wayward Memphian said:

There has been several articles written about Memphis and French companies doing business and then the Memphis Chamber getting involved with Memphis May and selecting France as the honored country seems almost strategic. 

I was told the London flights out of Nashville are filled with Memphians.  

I am waiting for one of the Smith family members to show an interest in the passenger airline side of the business. 

• 1 month later...

Good news!

FAA sends MEM $16M for airport improvements

https://dailymemphian.com/section/businesstransportationlogistics/article/41647/federal-aviation-administration-16-million-memphis-international-airport

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration will award $16.1 million to Memphis International Airport as part of the fiscal year 2024 Airport Infrastructure Grants.

The FAA awarded$243.7 million to airports in 37 states. The funds can be used to modernize infrastructure, improve runway safety and create jobs.

In Memphis, the grant will fund part of the terminal modernization program, which involves rebuilding the drive leading to the terminal, enlarging and updating the ticketing and baggage areas, expanding the security checkpoint, upgrading security and adding seismic enhancements.